96 percenter.... still - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

96 percenter.... still

I enjoy and appreciate all of the great information gained form this site. but some of it has caused me some concern from time to time.

I think I own one of the best bikes built, even though it is only a '99 LT. But I was finding myself starting to worry about my FD on nearly every lengthy ride I was trying to enjoy. On my last ride, I could not help but to wonder about why I was nervous. After all, only 4% or so of the final drives fail. That means my odds are still very good that I will never see a failure.

With that in mind, I have decided to change my signature to show my pride in my LT. I am sure I would be leading the BMW FD bashing if I have the unfortunate distinction of joining the 4% club, but until then, I just want to enjoy my ride without the worry caused by reading too much on these threads. Yes it is all my own fault, because I would hang on every failure thread trying to gain all of the knowledge that was offered. But, now I choose the enjoyment over the worry.

Todd

96 percenter Still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 2:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 96 percenter.... still

I'm on the 2nd FD. The 1st owner had it replaced under warranty @ 34,000 mi ago. I rock the rear wheel maybe once a month and before all long trips. I'm hoping that if I get a failure I'll at least have some warning. Not sure if there is any warning. Some riders say no.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 4:37 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Ride , Fix , Ride repeat

BTW I'ma 96% too 2000 LT 59K NEVER EVER broke down

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:04 pm

Just cracked 40K barrier yesterday (had the bike three years, and have only ridden about 5K this year, because SO is down for the count until after surgery... but I digress...); never standed by any mechancal failures!

I have a total of 132,000+ BMW miles, with nary a worry!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 29th, 2009, 8:35 pm

My 99' has its original final drive and I refuse to let it play on my mind. I wll go to the Catskills on Friday without a second thought. If my car breaks down, if my bike breaks down, my world will not come to and end. I might get a day or two in some nice little town that I never heard of before. Life is good.
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 30th, 2009, 7:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'm on my 3rd final drive. First one went at 46K and the second at 58K. Both started making a little noise before I replaced them. If you really want to inspect your FD for early signs, check it when you change the oil. Spin the wheel while you have all the oil drained and the plugs out. You should be able to hear roughness if your bearing is starting to fail. If you check it by trying to wiggle the wheel, you are wasting your time. If you had wobble in your rear tire, the people on the sidewalk would know it. Chances are you will not be able to wiggle the wheel even after a failure. It's usually just a flaking off of the bearing surface. Both my failures warned me with a "womp, womp, womp" sound at low speeds. It was like a bad tire or wheel bearing in a car. I hauled the first one out of Grande Junction, Colorado and I drove the second one home the remaining 90 miles. Neither dumped the oil. The seal remained intact. Hope this helps someone..................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in