You're going to die! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

You're going to die!

I keep hearing it. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. I am a fireman, that' s dangerous. These same folks don't often tell me to quit my job. I can't say a motorcycle is without risk, but it is managed risk. ATGATT, a well maintained bike, an attitude of riding within my limits with the recognition that i am invisible, and all cage drivers are out to get me. I now have a couple hundred thousand injury-free miles under my belt. What do you say to these ill-wishers?

2006 R1200RT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 8:57 pm

Re: You're going to die!

After my recent accident, (July) all of my naysayer friends, trying to protect me, say: "You're not getting another bike?" Finaly I began asking: "If you wrecked your car would you buy another? Then I add a car can kill you too!"

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 9:02 pm

“Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.”

Angel Monet

"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 24 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 10:43 pm

What a way to go.........

Turbodave

2006 R1200RT
2007 F650GS
post #5 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:39 am

I tell the naysayers, that, ummmm, I'm gonna die anyway....I had that same lijne of questions after my crash. Same answer that Nogills gave.

I have a reaperwear Tshirt with the quote that Ron wrote. I did not know who said it originally.

Randy
post #6 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:08 am

At the rip age of 44, my hobbies consist of good food, golf and my motorcycle. When i am unable to eat ,swing or ride; then I'll be just a shell! At some point, we all die. Whether in a nursing home or on the interstate.
Most of our contemporaries don't realize why we ride....I guess it's there loss!
Life is short...play hard!

---------------------------------
04 K1200LT-present
07 k1200GT-?
03 K1200RS-past
post #7 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Tell them "We're all gonna die, only a few of us dare to really live."

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #8 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Finaly I began asking: "If you wrecked your car would you buy another? Then I add a car can kill you too!"
That's funny cause I tell'em "have you ever stubbed your toe on the dining room table? Do you still have it?" or "have you ever bit the inside of your cheek while chewing gum? Did you stop chewing?"

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 2:40 pm
Just ridin'

I say what my father told me: "Motorcycles are like airplanes, neither is inherently dangerous, just unforgiving."

Pilot error can be disastrous in either case, but on a motorcycle I am not trusting another pilot.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #10 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 2:48 pm

My response has always been that at at least I'd die doing something that brought me much joy in my life. If we avoided every risky activity life would be very dull. No driving, no flying, no scuba diving, no skying, no horses, just to name a few.
post #11 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 3:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Tell them "We're all gonna die, only a few of us dare to really live."
yup.. so remember your loved ones.. (if you are fortunate enough to have them...) and tell them you love them... hug and keep them close...

One thing for sure, none of us get out of here alive... Well, it is my belief, there are a few who have souls that live on...
post #12 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 3:44 pm

You know I have done a lot of things in my 54 years, but riding my bike across this great country and seeing sights and places that most folks these days wouldn't even take the time to look at I wouldn't trade it for the world. We all are going to die sometime, at least i can say it I have had a hell'va good time. It's nothing like see the world on a motorcycle.

2002 LT 'The Golden Girl'
post #13 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 4:06 pm

One thing I told my cardiologist after my heart attack: "We all want to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die to get there!" Stopped him in his tracks for a second, then he chuckled!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #14 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 4:21 pm

You are a fire person? How much training have you had to be a fire person?? Hundreds?? Treat riding a motorcycle the same. I am a police officer and also a motorcop. I have had thousands of hours training.

I do the same riding my motorcycle on and off duty.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #15 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 6:54 pm

Both our kids ride and this past spring the four of us took a trip to Maine- I took this one just as we were leaving home:

Ever since they first took the MSF course I have told them that m/c riding can be a dangerous "activity". They both acknowledge that and my daughter who has done years of USCF sanctioned bicycle road racing (and done 50+mph with a bicycle helmet and spandex) said that fun things ARE dangerous.

Others have said that they could never ride with their kids in case something bad happened to one of them. Is it better to be somewhere else if they are injured?

And for myself- I'd rather go at 55 or 60 doing something that I really like vs. lying in a bed at 80+ with a diaper on and watching Golden Girls. QUALITY vs. QUANTITY.

'93 K1100RS "Hades"
'07 Kaw 250R (daughter's)
'06 Ducati Monster 620 (son's)
post #16 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser
Both our kids ride and this past spring the four of us took a trip to Maine- I took this one just as we were leaving home:

Ever since they first took the MSF course I have told them that m/c riding can be a dangerous "activity". They both acknowledge that and my daughter who has done years of USCF sanctioned bicycle road racing (and done 50+mph with a bicycle helmet and spandex) said that fun things ARE dangerous.

Others have said that they could never ride with their kids in case something bad happened to one of them. Is it better to be somewhere else if they are injured?

And for myself- I'd rather go at 55 or 60 doing something that I really like vs. lying in a bed at 80+ with a diaper on and watching Golden Girls. QUALITY vs. QUANTITY.
+1

...and - as Hunter S. Thompson said:

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 24 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 9:16 pm

I had a very good buddy and co worker who was in on the ground floor on starting the motorcycle safety program in Indiana and he was killed on his cycle and everybody said that's how he would want to go. That's bullshit I love riding but I don't want die on it. So even with years of riding and now with proper gear I still respect the machine and don't get over confident.
post #18 of 24 Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 5:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser
Don't get me wrong- I have absolutely NO intention of a premature demise.

But many of my older patients say... "so these are the golden years? What's so golden about them?"

Neil Young- It's better to burn out than it is to rust.

I want to do the things I like best, take every reasonable precaution but I do not want to be limited by gloom & doom people.

Hey- you know what, we are ALL going to die at some point.

'93 K1100RS "Hades"
'07 Kaw 250R (daughter's)
'06 Ducati Monster 620 (son's)
post #19 of 24 Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 9:31 am

Doing things to enjoy life enhances our temporary time here on this Earth. Since I'm not in a hurry to get to Heaven, riding and other activities with inherent dangers makes me more careful and cognizant of my actions and my environment. Riding makes me practice being safe every time I throw a leg over the bike.

The world is more vivid and alive when you are aware, as opposed to existing in a sheltered stupor.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #20 of 24 Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:31 am

I think the "Everybody wants to go to heaven..." answer is quick and snappy.

There are two other thoughts to add, both longer and more detailed.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

And the other:

You see things vacationing on a motorcycle in a way that is completely different from any other. In a car, your always in a compartment, and because your used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You're a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in frame.
"On a cycle, the frame is gone.Your completely in contact with it all. your IN the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presense is overwhelming."

-from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"
by Robert Pirsig
post #21 of 24 Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger
"On a cycle, the frame is gone.Your completely in contact with it all. your IN the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming."

-from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"
by Robert Pirsig
Loved that book! Since Chan & I are of kindred spirit, let me wax philosophical for a moment. The answer to naysayers, must come from your soul. In the end, life is all about love (how we treat each other, both strangers and those closest to us, and the things we chose to do). We ride because we love it. We feel closer to each other because of our shared passion. All will not convert to motorcycling, but if we express what drives us, those we contact will understand that it is part of us. We are not an exclusive group, we are inclusive. They may not agree, but perhaps in time they will understand.

Turn of the mood music, I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #22 of 24 Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 3:01 pm

A co-worker was walking and tripped on some acorns: cracked the head of her elbow, sprained an ankle and bruised some ribs. Another friend crashed on her bicycle: two broken collar bones, two cracked ribs and a fractured thoracic vertebrae. I thought I was the one engaged in a dangerous activity.

Good Lord! Just getting out of bed can be risky. It's all based on our perception of risk and danger. I spent three years as a correctional officer in a cell block with 100 inmates but I was armed with a clipboard and a pen. A state trooper said he would never want my job - too dangerous. I thought my job was pretty safe because I knew everyone in the block was a "bad guy." I'd never want to be a state trooper. Pull someone over for speeding and what are you going to get? A license and registration or the business end of a twelve gauge? I hate those kind of surprises.

So bottom line - "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #23 of 24 Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 3:09 pm
Gold Supporter

Hey Chris,

I could teach you a few tricks with that ball point pen and clip board that would keep you healthier.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #24 of 24 Old Sep 30th, 2009, 8:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

We all want to die somewhere "down the road", no matter how old we are. Personally, I think the "golden years" are those between the time the kids move out and your retirement. No one gets out of here alive...................The kid asked the old man.."You live here all your life?"..........Old man says.........."Not yet."..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in