Well, maybe not the last one - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Well, maybe not the last one

Hi All,

Previously, I stated that I had written my last post due to the fact I'm getting rid of my RT. You can read about the whys in my earlier post called "My Tale of Woe". However, the bottom line is that I trust the members of this board far more than I trust other reviewers of motorcycles in the general public.

So, I find myself in search of a new ride. To be honest, I liked everything about my '07 RT, but after 3 breakdowns and strandings in 13,000 miles, I just have lost confidence in it. Anyway, I have read and looked at a ton of bikes and I can't find anything out there that does everything I want well. Some do this well and some do that well, but I'm having a hard time finding one that does everything well.

The most important things to me are, no heat on legs (It, absolutely, drives me nuts), stable at high speeds, no helmet buffeting, and reliable. I tend to go on long trips and, usually, find myself in pretty sparsely populated regions.

Bikes that I have had, but traded them in for one reason or another are, Suzuki 650 V Strom (Very good bike, but I wanted something bigger for long trips), Honda ST1300 (Heat was unbearable and very unstable), and an '05 LT (Couldn't get passed the tank slapping motion on decel with hands off. Nothing I did could get rid of it).

So, here is my short list of bikes that I'm considering, even though I have issues with each one. Harley Road Glide. It's just a bike that I have always liked and it is set up for longer trips. However, heat on legs has me worried as does the helmet buffeting. Also, very expensive. Yamaha FJR 1300. Seems, at this point, to be the best choice. However, I have heard, from their board, one rider complaining of tank slapping motion on decel, the same as on my LT and I don't want to go back to that. The pluses are that they seemed to have licked the heat problem, reliability seems great, and everyone says it handles great. The price I can get one for is exceptional. However, I worry about high speed stability and helmet buffeting. The Victory Cross Country sounds kind of interesting, but, also very expensive.

So, if anyone has any good ideas of other bikes, please let me know. Also, if anyone has any first hand experience with the Yamaha FJR, please respond to my concerns regarding that model.

At this point, I really have no clue which way I should go and I plain can't afford to make a mistake in whatever I choose.

Thanks to all,

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Re: Well, maybe not the last one

Another one to look at is the Concours14.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 1:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
Hi All,

Bikes that I have had, ... '05 LT (Couldn't get passed the tank slapping motion on decel with hands off. Nothing I did could get rid of it).

Roy
Find an LT that doesn't do this. My '99 doesn't.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt

HTH,
Jer
Agreed -- I never experienced this with 4 LT's, spanning both sides of the steering geometry change in '05 -- '00, '02, '05, '06.

Every bike you mentioned fails to meet at least one of your criteria. You have the same problem I had when searching for a new bike -- turned out after much searching that only the RT or the LT had everything I wanted.

Good luck!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Jer
That should be an easy one to fix since there are very few easy to diagnose reasons:
  1. Tire Balance
  2. Tire run-out
  3. Bend wheel
  4. Really bad steering damper
My 99 does it consistently right before I replace the front tire due to uneven wear.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #6 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 3:11 pm

Sympathies - I looked at a lot of these same machines before buying the RT. There does always seem to be something that isn't quite "right". Oh, except for the RT

My impressions were that the Concours 14 and ST 1300 are mighty large and heavy for sport tourers - they are both sort of top heavy and the Concours doesn't seem to rotate in corners all that well. If an H-D turns well, I don't know what model it is.....haven't tried them all, so there may be one I have ridden a Road Glide for a full day and in the corners it reminded me of a '51 Chevy pickup I had once - like sitting on top of the truck and trying to coax it to lean and turn corners - not fun.

The FJR 1300 came the closest to something I considered. If you are RT and LT adverse, that one might be worth a shot. Then you can tell US how it compares. The price is certainly attractive.

One could consider your RT a lemon and try another one - the best vehicles still have a lemon now and then, and sometimes the worst vehicles can be absolutely reliable (I once owned a Renault, and there are plenty of old Fiats still around) .

Turbodave

2006 R1200RT
2007 F650GS
post #7 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave
If an H-D turns well, I don't know what model it is.....haven't tried them all, so there may be one I have ridden a Road Glide for a full day and in the corners it reminded me of a '51 Chevy pickup I had once - like sitting on top of the truck and trying to coax it to lean and turn corners - not fun.
As much as I join in with the poking fun at the Hardley-Ablesons, I'm quite interested in taking a test ride on the new FL's -- I read a short cycle mag review of the new chassis and the basic message was "looks exactly the same as last years's, but man! what a difference in handling!" I doubt the cornering clearance is any better, but it sounds like you can at least pitch it over and hit the floorboards faster, and with more confidence!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #8 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 6:38 pm

Garage

If my RT goes a Victory Vision will replace it.
post #9 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Not trying to be a smart-ass here but, when is decelerating with your hands off the bars necessary?

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #10 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Check your local Victory dealer. Most of them allow test rides of any model. I rented a Vision for a day, just to try it out.

It's a shame the BMW fufills all of your needs (handling, heat, buffeting, etc) except for the most important one - reliability.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #11 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 7:31 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

I've had two RT's, an LT and a GS. Was looking for something lighter and quicker and a non BMW for a change even though I didn't have any of the catastrophic failures. Just time for something different. All bikes are a compromise in some area, I don't think you can really have it all. So for now I am riding a Triumph Tiger 1050.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

Last edited by Jim; Sep 17th, 2009 at 8:54 am.
post #12 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 7:36 pm

a good recourse for FJR is at http://www.fjrforum.com/ good luck on your search
post #13 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 9:31 pm

here's a wild idea, don't take both hands off the handle bars. If you are doing some kind of stability test, then you have other problems but like a previous poster pointed out, why is this necessary? While there may be numerous reasons to dislike the LT, I can't see that this one is valid.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #14 of 27 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:18 pm

Keep the RT. The bugs are all out of it now! If your warranty is still in effect, purchase an aftermarket warranty. If it's not, look around for a company that will write one. Peace of mind.

As far as the tank slapper with hands off handlebars, if you just HAVE to do a "Look, Ma. No hands!" wave or whatever, set the cruise. It won't decelerate, so there won't be any tank slap. TA-DAH!!!

With all the straight roads coming back from CCR, I just had to try letting go, keeping my hands hovering over the bars. Since the cruise was on, it didn't decelerate and tracked just a straight as could be. Not being a daredevil like I was as a kid on a bicycle, I see no need to let go for more than a couple seconds. Moving at speed, too many things can happen too quickly. Like the old song says, "Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel", er...handlebars! Roll, baby, roll!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #15 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 3:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping everyone took my post as it was intended, just looking for honest opinions of other bikes, and in no way am I bashing BMW, in any way. One thing I wanted to clear up. I do not ride with my hands off the bars. When I had my LT, I happened to notice the handlebar slap, completely, by accident (No pun intended). Problem was that years ago, I had a Honda that went into a violent tank slap, at speed, and I got busted up pretty bad. Once you've had it happen to you, it just gets in your head that it's going to happen again because it's just a weird, totally random event. Those of you that have been through a violent tank slap at high speed will know what I'm talking about.

You guys are correct, hands on bars, no problems. Except I knew as soon as I took my hands off, it would be there. And it drove me nuts. Believe me, I (And my dealer) tried everything to get rid of it. I researched and did the all the things mentioned in this thread and about a hundred other things. It just never went away. And I know it was just mental. I knew, logically, that it didn't really matter, as I don't, typically, ride with my hands off and I've, to this day, never heard of an LT going into a true tank slap at high speed.

The rub is I ride motorcycles, purely, for fun. I don't use mine to commute or for anything other than pure recreation. And if there is something that makes me uncomfortable, however psychosomatic it might be, then the bike has to go.

I just wanted you guys to understand my decision regarding my LT.

Roy
post #16 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 5:45 am

Lets see, you did not like the 07 RT, nor the LT, nor the Honda ST, nor the V-storm. Then you want an opinion. LOL!!!

Sounds like maybe you need to ride in a car.........

We have a fleet of 07s since 07, used everyday in all types of weather in all types of duty. Zero problems.

I have a 08 RT with zero problems. I have 99 LT that took me to Alaska and back with zero problems and has 60K on the speedo.

Do not know what your asking here?? Confused??

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #17 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Well, all I was asking was for honest opinions from people whose opinions I value, on other non BMW bikes. That's all. In my original post, I said that I liked the V Strom, I just felt it a little too small for long distance touring. As far as my '07 RT goes, it has left me stranded three times in 13,000 miles. Not my imagination or opinion, fact. Last week, it stranded me twice. Once, when a seal in the drive failed, causing it to lose it's final drive fluid. And then, once that was repaired (Quick fix as the dealer didn't have the necessary parts), three days later, a main seal went causing the transmission to eat itself. Again, not my imagination or opinion, just facts. When the last seal went which caused my transmission to self destruct, I was in the far left hand lane of an interstate, doing about 75 MPH, with a car, directly, behind me, and passing a truck on my right. Had the ground up transmission locked the rear wheel, I would have been a speed bump for the vehicle behind me. Fortunately, that did not happen, but I was left with a bike with no power, in the far left hand lane, in heavy traffic, which I had to get all the way to the right and into the breakdown lane. Trust me, it was not my idea of fun.

All of that being said, I, also, mentioned that I like everything about my RT. It's the reliability factor which has caused me not to trust this bike. And I believe I have pretty good reasons why. I am not, nor have I ever dissed BMW. I think they make the most innovative and interesting bikes on the market. If I didn't think so, I would not have bought two. That being said, I think they have some serious reliability issues and I think that has been proven with my, personal, experiences, as well as the experiences of many other riders that I have read about.

Okay, with that out of the way, if I can't ask the people of this board for a grown up discussion of different bikes (Which was all I was asking), then what's the point ?

Roy
post #18 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 9:03 am

Last time I was over at the Cycle Salvage, Which is also a Yamaha/Star dealer,

They had some pretty nice Star cruisers all set up for touring.

I know Lindy's little Virago is dead reliable...As were the three of four I've owned over the years.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #19 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

I know a bunch of guys who ride Yamaha FJRs on very long distance rides. They put on a lot of miles each year. They have had an assortment of issues over time, but the overall reliability seems pretty good to me, especially considering the extra stress they are under. Their owners like them. The recommendation to check out the FJR Forum is a good one.

Have you considered a Gold Wing? According to what I read, they handle better than you might expect, despite their size and weight.

I really want to like the big twins - Harleys, Victorys, and the Japanese equivalents. Sadly, each time I ride one, I remember why I don't like them. I hate the shaking while stopped at traffic signals, and they run like slugs compared with my KGT. In a year or two, I will forget all that and try again.
post #20 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 9:31 am

Royal, I know what you are asking. I hate to see you have trouble like you did with your RT. The LT, I don't know. I have never had that problem but in the back of my mind I think about the final drive when I am gone from the house.
One of my local ridding buddies had a LT and was so worried after reading this board about rear drive problems that he traded it in on a 09 RT. He has only had it about 6 months and had the LT for over a year and both were flawless bikes. He came from a Gold Wind and a Road King before that one. He liked both of them but then again, he heard about problems.
I understand that you didn't hear about breakdowns, you had them. That scares ME. It all goes in the back of my mind for any trip I go on. I wish you luck on which ever bike you pick.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #21 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 9:34 am

I'll repeat the notion I expressed that the FJR sounds like your next "best bet". I can say that it feels very good, and since they fixed the heat problem (I had a K100RT that too toasty - not desirable) I haven't seen anything about them that sounds problematic. To ride, it feels smaller than the Japanese competitors.

I am wondering if the V-Strom felt small in dimension, or in power? - given yours was a 650 and not a 1000. I don't have direct V-Strom experience, but from what I have read it is a good platform that can be improved to be a better machine. People seem to change out shocks, add fork braces, perhaps change gearing a bit.

Ever considered an Italian? I suppose with reliability a focus, maybe not Still, I am intrigued by the Norge and I will someday own a Ducati - probably as a second bike.

Turbodave

2006 R1200RT
2007 F650GS
post #22 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 4:04 pm
rlv

Go back to Suzuki.
This time get the DL 1000 V Strom.
It is kick ass
Do a few upgrades
Ride with a grin on your face with total confidence.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #23 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 4:33 pm

I was just pulling your chain. I have had issues with my all the bikes I owned, cars and trucks. Man made stuff, going to break. Get what makes you happy.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #24 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 4:53 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification, Motorman. It is appreciated and I apologize for my short fuse. Work because of our wonderful economy has been extremely stressful. I ride to reduce my stress levels and now, with my bike unrideable for a while, my frustration has gotten a little out of hand. I should have just taken it out on my wife....er, I mean, the gym.

Roy
post #25 of 27 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I know a bunch of guys who ride Yamaha FJRs on very long distance rides. They put on a lot of miles each year. They have had an assortment of issues over time, but the overall reliability seems pretty good to me, especially considering the extra stress they are under. Their owners like them. The recommendation to check out the FJR Forum is a good one.

Have you considered a Gold Wing? According to what I read, they handle better than you might expect, despite their size and weight.

I really want to like the big twins - Harleys, Victorys, and the Japanese equivalents. Sadly, each time I ride one, I remember why I don't like them. I hate the shaking while stopped at traffic signals, and they run like slugs compared with my KGT. In a year or two, I will forget all that and try again.

I've got to agree, you should try a Goldwing. I just sold a 2005, wanted to try something different. I put 50,000 worry free miles on the bike. It was a great bike, extremely reliable and the handling was a blast. Many consider them only appropriate for the super slab. I disagree of the many trips I took, 80% of the miles were on back roads, preferably curvey ones. It was truly a joy to ride. If you decide to go this route, make sure it's an 1800.

No big deal if you didn't like the BMWs you've tried. Keep looking you find something.

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #26 of 27 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:58 am

I must second or third the Vstrom vote. If you don;t like the BMW for whatever reason and the Wee Strom is too small? IS that a power issue or chassis/ergo issue? The 650 is same chassis as 1000, correct? I know the motor on the 1000 Strom has plenty of power. I had one and would love to be able to get another, fully "dressed". I love my LT, but I wold hate to be stranded by it. I would hate to have to deal with that and the wife at the same time, if it broke while we were out on it. I never questioned the strom.

Good luck deciding.
Randy
post #27 of 27 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 4:25 pm

I think you should try the Victory Vision. It is a good touring bike, it handles well, you will get some heat on the legs but they do make some lowers to help move are by. Also with the taller windscreen you will find the head buffet acceptable.

I would at least take one for a ride. See what you think. If you think the HD would work then try one of these.

The FJ1300 is a nice machine and I think you would like it as well.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in