My Tale of Woe - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Sep 14th, 2009, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

My Tale of Woe

Hi All,

Sorry to say, but this will, probably, be the last post I make to this board. I just got back home from a trip from New Hampshire to Asheville, NC and back. As I write this, my '07 RT is sitting at a dealer in Mechanicsburg, PA, some 8 hours away.

On Tuesday, September 8th, I stopped at a restaurant in Chamberburg, PA to have lunch, with two other guys I was riding with on this trip. After lunch, as I headed out to saddle up, I saw what looked like oil covering my rear tire, and a puddle beneath my final drive. Great. Called the closest dealer and had it towed to Velocity Cycles in Mechanicsburg, PA. They said it was a seal that went in the final drive, but they didn't have the parts necessary to fix it. But they did have a final drive unit from an '06 RT that they could rent to me and install it on my bike to get me going again. They did and five hours later, I was on my way and met back up with my group in Harrisonburg, VA.

Continued on the trip and toured the Asheville, NC area, and all seemed well. On the way back up, again, near Mechanicsburg, PA, I had a catastrophic transmission failure that almost killed me. Not that I'm the greatest rider ever, but a rider with less experience than I have, would have been in serious trouble.

Had the bike towed for the second time to Velocity Cycles on Saturday, September 12th. Seems the main rear seal failed and caused my transmission to eat itself. Got a cab and went to the Harrisburg, PA Airport, rented a car, and drove home.

I, completely, understand that mechanical things can break. However, I paid a lot of money for my RT and have had it serviced, exclusively, by my dealer. The bike, currently, has 13,000 miles on it and has stranded me three times far from home.

I talk with young people a lot about what makes a rider a safe rider. One of my tenents regarding safe riding is that you need to ride with confidence. A hesitant rider, is not a safe rider. I don't think I can have confidence riding this bike anymore.

It really is a shame as I like so much about this bike. But, I like living more. BMW should be ashamed of putting riders in jeopardy by poor final drives, seals, etc. Someone, if not already, is going to be killed by this. I almost was.

This board has been great. The people that frequent this board are top notch guys and gals. I will miss being a part of it. I'll still look in on you and, if I get a chance, I will let you know what I end up choosing for my next bike. I know I'm going to take a beating selling this one, so I might not be able to afford what I would want for my next bike, but, maybe, someday I will.

Good luck to all and may all your riding days be pleasant ones.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Sep 14th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Re: My Tale of Woe

Roy, glad you weren't injured at least.

The feeling you describe is exactly how I've been feeling lately every time I take the LT out for a long (or even a short) ride. Which is why mine went up for sale this past weekend. My next ride will not be a BMW.

Whatever you get, I wish you the best of luck with it, and hopefully it will restore your joy of riding.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in