Woes of riding in tight formation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 6:56 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Woes of riding in tight formation

Crash of motorcycles, car blocks Kennedy lanes
August 22, 2009 9:55 PM

Three motorcyclists and a person in a car were injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway tonight that temporarily shut down all lanes of the highway, authorities said.

As of about 9:50 p.m., traffic was moving slowly again on the Kennedy's southbound side near Adams Street, where the the crash occurred at about 8:45 p.m.

Quention Curtis, a Chicago Fire Department spokesman, said he was driving south on the Kennedy at about that time when he pulled up behind the crash and called emergency crews to the scene on his radio.

The crash, he said, appeared to have been a "chain reaction" of collisions in which the three motorcycles struck each other and one of them struck the car.

The three motorcycles were being driven by two men and a woman, all of whom appeared to have been wearing helmets and other safety gear, Curtis said.

Two of the riders were taken to Stroger Hospital and the third was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. They were all in serious-to-critical condition with head, back and leg injuries, Curtis said.

A woman from the car that was hit was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in fair-to-serious condition, he said.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 7:58 am
Gold Supporter

Re: Woes of riding in tight formation

They don't call me Lone-Wuff for nothing.

Hope they are all okay and learned something from this.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #3 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 8:30 am

If you're the kind of person who panics, You just shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

Riding a motorcycle is easy as long as nothing goes wrong.

When there's a problem it can turn into a rat on acid on ice pretty quick...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 9:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Good reminder to us all. Even in staggered formation we may be closer than we think. We all need an "air cushion" that provides opportunity to avoid. No matter how much we trust each other, things can and will go wrong. I think it is cool how LEOs are taught to ride side by side in a lane, but the slightest hiccup can take them both out. Spread out for safety. The 2 second rule really works.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 10:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

I hope everyone recovers....

Riding "tight formation"....not healthy... and depends on what you consider "tight".... at 20 mph things are easier to react to than when running 70 mph.

The problem I have seen, is lack of reaction time caused by distraction/reaction time. ... and lack of a "reaction plan"... It has been discussed ad infinitum..

The best advice.. "don't do it".... especially if we are able to see each other.. no need to do that... yes, sometimes people are tempted to pass everything ahead of them.. including motorcycles.

Traveling in a "group" offers a feeling of "protection" from car intrusion, however there is an increased risk of "multi" vehicle accident.

From thousands of miles of "formation" riding, I can say they can be done in relative safety, still, increased risk compared to riding "Lone-wuff" style.

There are many ways to ride that effect the outcome. For instance, where a car puts on a "blinker" we should slow and allow them to merge/change lanes safely. This means "breaking" from the pack... so that's how it goes... it makes a POSTIVE influence on the cagers, too.

So, as with all situations, we should KNOW the riders we are teamed with...and PREARRANGE places to stop or "regroup" by slowing down. To do this, we usually agree to "slow" until we are in "view" of each other... we don't have to ride in "tight" formation.
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 2:43 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Sad to hear about this, I saw nothing on the news about it.
This is one of the reasons I do not ride much with others, plus I have no friends

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Last time I was on a group ride I decided to put a new rider in front of me so I could watch out....

Coming out of her driveway she jammed on the brakes and forced me to have to stop abruptly. Unfotrunately over a fairly deep hole... Now on an LT, Most of the time, You're just reaching the ground and if you've got long legs, like me, You can flatfoot it. But when the ground is three or four inches lower than normal.... guess what happens...

Another reason I don't have the LT anymore. Or ride in groups often...

You just never know when someone's plan is going to interfere with yours.

I don't mind being a hundred yards behind or in front of someone....

Radio range...is good too..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 8:54 pm

I have the phobia of following in groups as well...
Maily in the mid pack as I have seen a few riders go off and then I have a bunch of riders heading up to me..
I like the back..

air smells the same- but it is much safer for me...

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
Sad to hear about this, I saw nothing on the news about it.
This is one of the reasons I do not ride much with others, plus I have no friends
You have friends - me! (as long as you don't ride with me)

I gave up riding in groups a while back - for me, personally, I think it was one of the most dangerous behaviors I've ever been involved in. I never understood what was so great about it in the first place.

A lot of guys here locally get pretty pissed off at me when I decline an invitation to go on a weekend ride. I'm just not that interested to ride15 miles to have breakfast and shoot the shit, then go home, twiddle my thumbs and have the wife read off the list of honey do's.

250 miles for lunch? Sign me up!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2009, 6:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
You have friends - me! (as long as you don't ride with me)

I gave up riding in groups a while back - for me, personally, I think it was one of the most dangerous behaviors I've ever been involved in. I never understood what was so great about it in the first place.

A lot of guys here locally get pretty pissed off at me when I decline an invitation to go on a weekend ride. I'm just not that interested to ride15 miles to have breakfast and shoot the shit, then go home, twiddle my thumbs and have the wife read off the list of honey do's.

250 miles for lunch? Sign me up!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seems to be a common denominate for this group! I used to ride with a high school buddy many years ago when I first started riding, but now I prefer to ride alone and not just for short runs to the store. Riding the bike in groups, for me is not fun and creates too much tension.

Skydiving though is different! The more in the air, the better....... when we are all falling at around 120 MPH it seems to be ok if someone rubs up against me.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2009, 8:11 am
Gold Supporter

Dano,

I knew you were a sick bastage...I have been involved in some of those "RUBS" as you call it, and a couple left permanent bruises...OR WORSE!!! Rubs my ass, it's a 240 mph body slam.

I jumped alone most of the time too, but for different reasons.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in