Iron Butt Rally - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 4:30 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Iron Butt Rally

The IBA has started posting about the 2009 Iron Butt Rally on their site........
Rider are schedualed to be posted Sunday......

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:33 am

Re: Iron Butt Rally

Following post may not be a popular opinion.....

Listened to a a talk show program earlier this week at www.sidestandup.com (nice program if you have not listened yet. Also available on I Tunes) regarding this rally.

Can somebody tell me why members of the Iron Butt Association believe riding 10,000 + miles in eleven days is safe? Sure, you may be awake but mentally alert after a few days? I don't think so.

This just does not make sense to me. If you believe this rally is safe please try and convince me.

2006 Triumph Tiger
2007 Kawaski 500 LTD
2009 BMW K 1200 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alaska - The best kept secret in the entire U S of A!

I do not have a problem with God, it's his fan clubs that I do not agree with.
post #3 of 44 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAlaska

Listened to a a talk show program earlier this week at www.sidestandup.com (nice program if you have not listened yet. Also available on I Tunes) regarding this rally.

Can somebody tell me why members of the Iron Butt Association believe riding 10,000 + miles in eleven days is safe? Sure, you may be awake but mentally alert after a few days? I don't think so.

This just does not make sense to me. If you believe this rally is safe please try and convince me.
Like any competition I think their is an inherent danger. These guy's are professionals and conduct this competition in a VERY professional manner and always with safety at the forefront.Nobody will try and convince you that it is safe....just as safe as can be

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)

post #4 of 44 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 7:46 pm

There are a lot of professional sports that are very "unsafe".

The Iron Butt Rally has been run for a long time now, and I do not know of any deaths to rally riders, very few injuries.

The people who are in it are very experienced Long Distance riders, and have to have proven themselves in other rallies before an entry will be accepted. No one just decides to "try it" without a LOT of experience leading them up to a level where they feel they can do it.

I myself have never given thought to competing in that rally, but did complete an IBA 10/10ths, which is riding 10,000 miles in 10 days. I had completed several IBA rides previous to that, so felt that I could at least complete an SS5K, which is 5,000 miles in 5 days. Fortunately, I was feeling good enough to continue on and finish the first goal. I only had one bad day in the 10 where I was tired enough to make a couple of mistakes that cost me enough time to make me a little nervous.

The 10/10ths is pretty hard to do, but still nothing like the IBR, where riders get a "bonus" pack the night before the start, and have little time to plan out a route they feel they can do and pick up enough bonus points to keep them in the running. After about 3-4 days they get a new pack for the next leg, and have to plan again, then a few days later yet another one. That is one tough rally, having to constantly plan, change plans, and still keep going.

I see MANY things on TV that I think are unsafe, but people will always try things that stretch their abilities further and further. Human nature.

Even if you think it is unsafe, there is absolutely no reason to think others should not do it, especially since most in the rally have trained themselves for years, and put a lot of money and time in getting ready. Running the rally costs most riders thousands of dollars plus massive training and preperation time. It is not just a lark some decide to do.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 44 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 9:33 pm

I went to the Itarod several years ago and would consider the IBR to be far safer. What are your thoughts on the Iditarod?

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #6 of 44 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:48 pm

Quote:

For me, safety is questionable when I ride in DFW traffic. I feel safer when doing the 1000 mile thang...11,000 miles, 11 days, cool!

"“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #7 of 44 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:51 pm

My edits:

Quote:
Can somebody tell me why motorcyclists believe riding a motorcycle is safe?
Once you left the safe confines of your comforter-stuffed bed, exposing yourself to risk is a matter of degree.

To many SUV-driving members of the public, what you are doing on YOUR motorcycle is an unacceptable risk, do not forget that. Judge not, lest you will be judged...

Don't you ever challenge yourself? Distance? Terrain? Speed? Abilities?

Me? Guilty as charged.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #8 of 44 Old Aug 24th, 2009, 7:47 am

You can learn where the checkpoints are located around the country on the IBA web site and pop in to see the riders come thru.....ex.
CHECKPOINT INFORMATION

Checkpoint 1 - Wednesday, August 26, 9 - 11pm Scoring opens at 5 pm

Pheasant Run Resort
4051 East Main Street
St. Charles, IL 60174
800 474 3272

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #9 of 44 Old Aug 24th, 2009, 9:24 am

IBR Safe? Sensible? Who cares. As long as they don't endanger other road users then it is totally up to them. My sport riding buddies and I get a lot of heat from other friends, family for our 4 day weekends down in North Carolina or Arkansas. We ride about 350 miles a day for 3 days on fully tricked out sportbikes. We wear full gear and ride very fast on tight twisty roads and on rare occasions have been known to have minor spills. I for one have zero interest in droning around interstates or long dull roads day after day or in the dark to make some distant checkpoint. I would be bored after two days....but...as long as they are not putting other road users at risk(don't think there has ever been an accident involving another vehicle), let them ride on for as long as they want. I have picked up valuable tips for my occaisonal 1000 mile day from reading the LD board and Ron Ayers books. Kind of like Nasa: MIght not make a lot of sense in the things they due but there is alot of residual benefit for the rest of us..hahaha

Ron
post #10 of 44 Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:39 am

Quote:

Sorta, kinda how I felt about Ice Road Truckers - not Ed Zachery risk-free either!!
post #11 of 44 Old Aug 28th, 2009, 4:45 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Iron Butt Rally

See that Ken Meese is 38th. Very cool

Hope you guys are checking it out it is pretty cool and 11,000 miles in 11 Days is hauling butt.

It takes balls and more balls. You really have to have your "big boy" pants on for those 11 days.

Safety is a individual thing, as is endurance. You have to be off the bike for 8 hrs in every 24 hours. I know when enough is enough, but these guys condition for this, and are at the top of the Motorcycle Mileage Elite.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 44 Old Aug 29th, 2009, 8:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

I recommend the movie "Hard Miles", which was filmed by a team who followed the 2007 Iron Butt Rally. It isn't available on Netflix, but you can get a copy here: http://www.apgvideo.com/ironbutt07/

In addition to its pure entertainment value, it may help you understand the rally and the people involved. The same team is filming the 2009 IBR.
post #13 of 44 Old Aug 30th, 2009, 8:53 am

Quote:

Do you really think riding a motorcycle is safe? Can you explain that to me? You aren't so different, if you ride. Why do you ride- for the rush of adrenaline? Probably part of it.

Since we've been on this planet, we find ways to challenge ourselves to the limits. Will always be that way. Maybe it's the adrenaline rush and release of endorphines, maybe a combination of factors... doesn't matter. If you ride long distances frequently, you get better at it, as with anything. Most of these men and women know what they're doing. Anyways, BMW has been kind enough to build in limiters... final drives and clutches that fail, so you probably need not worry about the BMW riders- they probably won't finish, at least not in the top. I'd really love to try the IB Rally one day.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #14 of 44 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 9:13 am

Talking Re: Iron Butt Rally

Ken Meese is up to 8th place!! Go for it Ken.

post #15 of 44 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 9:53 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

C'mon Ken !!!!!

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #16 of 44 Old Sep 1st, 2009, 1:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Pulling for ya Ken!!! Wow up to 8th. Very cool!

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #17 of 44 Old Sep 1st, 2009, 2:42 pm

Been camping out in the wilds of Montana the last couple of dayswith no internet. 38th to 8th WAY TO GO KEN!!!!! This is getting interesting. The top riders are really top knotch. Keep up the good riding Ken.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #18 of 44 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 7:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

The update said the shifter fell off of Ken's GT. Took 4 hours to get back on the road.

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #19 of 44 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 11:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinpgh
The update said the shifter fell off of Ken's GT. Took 4 hours to get back on the road.
Hey Grif, here's another item to add to your checklist for things to check. Knowing how many miles Ken is putting in here, should there be a drop of LockTite or some type of backout prevention?

I hope he makes top 5. That would be sooo kewl! Go Ken Go!!!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #20 of 44 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

They just announced the results. Ken Meese took 9th place with 11,047 miles and 111,129 points, which is a superb finish for a "rookie". A rookie is a first-time Iron Butt Rally rider.
post #21 of 44 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:16 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

How did George do?

Edit: Got it, 38th.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

Last edited by Jim; Sep 4th, 2009 at 10:25 pm.
post #22 of 44 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:37 pm

BMW took 50% of the Top 10 places!
Honda took 30%
Yamaha to 20%

Congrats to Jim and Jeff! What a show! And how bout them FD's!

From IBA Website:
In one of the most dramatic finishes in history, Jim Owen has won the 2009 Iron Butt Rally. Riding a BMW R1200RT, Jim scored 139,833 points. In 2nd place, with 136,090 points, was Jeff Earls, riding a BMW K1200GT. Owen and Earls ran neck and neck for the entire 11 days, during which Earls maintained a slim lead for the first two legs.

Rounding out the top ten were the following riders:
3rd place was Eric Jewell, riding a Honda ST1300, with 130,338 points.
4th place was Chris Sakala, riding a BMW R1200RT, with 126,481 points.
5th place was Greg Marbach, riding a Yamaha FJR1300, with 122,021 points.
6th place was Mike Hutsal, riding a Honda ST1300, with 117,843 points.
7th place was Rick Miller, riding a Honda GL1800, with 114,326 points.
8th place was Bob Lilley, riding a BMW K1200LT, with 111,836 points.
9th place was Ken Meese, riding a BMW K1200GT, with 111,129 points.
10th place was Peter Behm, riding a Yamaha FJR1300, with 109,350 points.

"“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #23 of 44 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Congratulations to the rest of the Bimmers that finished.
Mr. Sakala, Mr. Lilley, Mr. Meese.
We can't wait for the trip report.

Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #24 of 44 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Congratulations Bimmers that finished in the Top 10 as well:
Mr. Sakala, Mr. Lilley, Mr. Meese.
We can't wait for the trip reports.

Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #25 of 44 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 7:01 am

Quote:

Can somebody tell me why members of the Iron Butt Association believe riding 10,000 + miles in eleven days is safe?

Safe is a relative thing.

Life isn't safe, look at the end.

Many time, making something safe, takes the fun and sparkle out of it.

B D R
post #26 of 44 Old Sep 6th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Quote:

So is it safe??? How many were taking out with deer strikes?? One member died within 100 miles from the finish line, one thread I read was that his helmet was strapped to his bike. He was a big time ATGATT, so why the helmet on the bike. Some say, maybe tired, or something else. I am just saying......................

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #27 of 44 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 7:36 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
I don't need to convince anyone of anything. This rally, like any activity in life, is entirely voluntary. No one is forcing you to ride that dangerous murder-cycle around your own neighborhood, let alone around the whole country.

Each of us has to make our own choices in life. In fact, that is precisely what life is about, at least for those who are actually living it to their own standards. I won't question your choices, whether I agree with them or not, so please allow me the same courtesy.

As for the unfortunate rider, he has a name, Davo Jones, and a family who is currently dealing with this tragedy. So please, show some respect, like you would for any fallen friend.

There has already been far too much speculation and assumption, especially from folks that were nowhere near him. I spoke with Davo directly that morning at a bonus location. He was in good spirits and perfectly lucid. His accident was indeed a tragedy, but it could have happened to any rider. How many of us on this list have had incidents with deer, moose, even buffalo? And that doesn't even begin to cover the idiot cage drivers that truly seem out to get us.

Life itself is dangerous, with a certain and final outcome awaiting us all. What defines us, then, is what we do with it in the meantime. And each of us should be far too busy living our own lives to be sitting around blathering on about what others may or may not be doing with theirs.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Sep 7th, 2009 at 8:05 am.
post #28 of 44 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 8:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I don't need to convince anyone of anything. This rally, like any activity in life, is entirely voluntary. No one is forcing you to ride that dangerous murder-cycle around your own neighborhood, let alone around the whole country.

Each of us has to make our own choices in life. In fact, that is precisely what life is about, at least for those who are actually living it to their own standards. I won't question your choices, whether I agree with them or not, so please allow me the same courtesy.

As for the unfortunate rider, he has a name, Davo Jones, and a family who is currently dealing with this tragedy. So please, show some respect, like you would for any fallen friend.

There has already been far too much speculation and assumption, especially from folks that were nowhere near him. I spoke with him directly that morning at a bonus location. He was in good spirits and perfectly lucid. His accident was indeed a tragedy, but it could have happened to any rider. How many of us on this list have had incidents with deer, moose, even buffalo? And that doesn't even begin to cover the idiot cage drivers that truly seem out to get us.

Life itself is dangerous, with a certain and final outcome awaiting us all. What defines us, then, is what we do with it in the meantime. And each of us should be far too busy living our own lives to be sitting around blathering on about what others may or may not be doing with theirs.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #29 of 44 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
wow, thank you.
post #30 of 44 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 2:40 pm
Gold Supporter

John,

I know what you are trying to say here, but your example sucks. My neighbor across the street was killed in July, 150 yards from his house. He was on his way to work on his scoot and one of our horned rats got him. What's the difference between getting killed 150 yards into a ride of 10K into one? Live is an adventure and Davo died doing what he loved. I hope I am as lucky.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #31 of 44 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 7:14 pm
PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
So is it safe??? How many were taking out with deer strikes?? One member died within 100 miles from the finish line, one thread I read was that his helmet was strapped to his bike. He was a big time ATGATT, so why the helmet on the bike. Some say, maybe tired, or something else. I am just saying......................

Totally inappropriate gossip. I am afraid you just proved yourself a Pratt.

regards

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #32 of 44 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH
...Pratt.
Thread hijack:

What's a "Pratt"?

Un-hijack.

Ken, congratulations on completing the Rally and finishing 9th. That's quite an accomplishment.

Very sorry to hear about Davo's unfortunate end.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #33 of 44 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Thread hijack:

What's a "Pratt"?

Un-hijack.

Ken, congratulations on completing the Rally and finishing 9th. That's quite an accomplishment.

Very sorry to hear about Davo's unfortunate end.
Straight from the "British Slang Dictionary-http://www.coolslang.com/in/british/index.php
Pratt: Idiot or jerk.

Condolences to all the family and friends of Davo. What a stalwart fellow. He will be missed by all.

Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #34 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 7:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
John,

I know what you are trying to say here, but your example sucks. My neighbor across the street was killed in July, 150 yards from his house. He was on his way to work on his scoot and one of our horned rats got him. What's the difference between getting killed 150 yards into a ride of 10K into one? Live is an adventure and Davo died doing what he loved. I hope I am as lucky.
How does my example sucks?? Can not see the same, one guys is going to work is killed vs. some guys going for bonus points. Some how can not see how the two are in common. Some of you blasted the guy who asked a simple question about IBA and it's safety.

I was called pratt, wow that hurt, by asking a question, on a gentlemen that is well known in the motorcyclist community, who crashed. The "gossip" I found on this site.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=810196

So, please take your personal emotion out of the thread.

Do I think those guys/gals riding the IBA are the top riders, sure do. Do I wish I could do something like that, yup, but do I believe some riders were pushing their physical limits, where there decisions, metal state may have been disoriented? Sure do, and if you think otherwise then you are thinking with your eyes close.

Driving/riding fatigued is almost, if not the same as driving/riding drunk. Add stress and I do believe people make mistakes.

This is no disrespect for the family for the person killed. I just, like as others want to know what happened?? If we can study what happened, and adjust our riding, then a death can help other riders make better decisions. I would like to know if stress/fatigued contributed to the crash and or other crashes during IBA.

Maybe the wrong thread. Sorry.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #35 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 7:47 am
Gold Supporter

John,

You missed my point entirely. My point is exactly what you are stating, that the two have absolutely nothing in common. People can get killed by a deer (or anything else for that matter) by doing exact opposites. Like I said in my first sentence, "I know what you are trying to say, but your example sucks". You....you......PRATT!!! (what ever the hell that means)

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #36 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 9:59 am

Ok, I am PRATT...............

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #37 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 11:20 am
IBR# 366

Garage

John,

I understand your need to analyze a situation and understand it, especially in regards to not making the same fatal mistake as someone else. That is critical in high-risk situations such as the extremely dangerous job that you do, and when done properly it is in fact a life-saving technique.

But please be careful with your assumptions. Yes, riding 11 days straight can be very fatiguing, but the riders that go into something like this are very aware of that and in fact have trained themselves to deal with just that as best as they possibly can. I didn't wake up one day and say "I want to ride all around the country without stopping." I worked my way up to this level with countless hours of riding and tens of thousands of dedicated, focused miles.

On my first SaddleSore 1,000 ride I got tired 150 miles from the end. So I stopped, got a motel and some sleep, and finished the ride in the morning even though it meant dicing through LA commuter traffic. At that time, that was the safest option, so that's what I did.

Now I can routinely do 24 hours on the bike stopping for nothing more than fuel every 400 miles or so. I have read and digested countless studies on fatigue management and human physical limitations. I have trained myself to recognize the warning signs of fatigue (they are slightly different for everyone), and I pay very close attention to that. I know the difference between changing routine to break out of a droning state and when I simply need to stop and get some shut-eye. And I understand how my body responds to power-naps, and when I've gone beyond that point and simply need several hours of uninterrupted sleep. In fact, I got a hotel room 8 out of 11 nights on this ride, and it was well worth both the cost and the time spent there. Even on my leisurely ride home I stopped last night 4 hours from home because I felt that was better than pushing on that last little bit.

While it is natural to apply your own experiences and limitations to others, please understand that isn't always accurate. We've all played football at school or with friends, but if I wandered into the middle of an NFL game I'd get crushed, even if I was wearing all the proper gear. Just as you are trained and experienced in dealing with your job and the risks involved, and I'd probably do very badly when confronted with some of the situations that have become "normal" for you.

Also, what happened to Davo was a tragedy, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it. And discussing those circumstances in an open public forum can only serve to prolong the grief felt by his family and close friends. Especially since it is all conjecture and assumption at this point.

I have already contributed what I know from my direct experience with Davo, and that's all I'm willing to say. Yes, I have my opinions just like everyone else, but this is not the time or place for it to go any further than what's already been said.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #38 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Congrats Ken! Glad you made it safe and placed well too!
post #39 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 5:12 pm
PCH

Quote:
How does my example sucks?? Can not see the same, one guys is going to work is killed vs. some guys going for bonus points. Some how can not see how the two are in common. Some of you blasted the guy who asked a simple question about IBA and it's safety.

I was called pratt, wow that hurt, by asking a question, on a gentlemen that is well known in the motorcyclist community, who crashed. The "gossip" I found on this site.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=810196

So, please take your personal emotion out of the thread.

Do I think those guys/gals riding the IBA are the top riders, sure do. Do I wish I could do something like that, yup, but do I believe some riders were pushing their physical limits, where there decisions, metal state may have been disoriented? Sure do, and if you think otherwise then you are thinking with your eyes close.

Driving/riding fatigued is almost, if not the same as driving/riding drunk. Add stress and I do believe people make mistakes.

This is no disrespect for the family for the person killed. I just, like as others want to know what happened?? If we can study what happened, and adjust our riding, then a death can help other riders make better decisions. I would like to know if stress/fatigued contributed to the crash and or other crashes during IBA.

Maybe the wrong thread. Sorry.

Exactly, the wrong thread. Open discussion of a friend of many here is totally inappropriate. So give it a rest . Wait for the coroners report. I would have thought a LEO would know that.
regards
regards

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #40 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 6:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
If you believe this rally is safe please try and convince me.
Safe is a relative term. Consider this, the 2009 IBR had a less than 1% mortality rate, and that was unusually high. Life has 100% mortality rate. So by comparison the IBR is 100x safer than life itself.

What's my point? Love what you do, do what you love and don't engage in activities if you aren't comfortable with the risk. I'm an avid motorcycle rider, but I'm not an IBR kind of guy. I do admire the heck outta those who accomplish that feat like "Queeny" Ardys Kellerman along with every year's groups. I'm an avid hiker & backpacker, but you won't find me climbing Mt Everest. I've met 3 folks who have and I admire the heck outta them too.

None of us is guaranteed tomorrow, so LIVE each day, don't just pass through it. Hope that doesn't make me a pratt!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #41 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH
Exactly, the wrong thread. Open discussion of a friend of many here is totally inappropriate. So give it a rest . Wait for the coroners report. I would have thought a LEO would know that.
regards
regards
OK, how do I know who is friends with who?? And what does being a LEO have anything with do with anything?? A LEO bash? please.

The title of this thread is Iron Butt Rally, and a question about safety came up. I respect Ken's response and I stopped asking questions or responded to his post. Your"s is a waste of time.. As a coroner's report or medical examier's report, what he/she is called in Florida, will determined the cause of death. Sometimes physical evidence, witness statements and the officer's report will show contributing factors. These factors was what I was looking for.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #42 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Safe is a relative term. Consider this, the 2009 IBR had a less than 1% mortality rate, and that was unusually high. Life has 100% mortality rate. So by comparison the IBR is 100x safer than life itself.

What's my point? Love what you do, do what you love and don't engage in activities if you aren't comfortable with the risk. I'm an avid motorcycle rider, but I'm not an IBR kind of guy. I do admire the heck outta those who accomplish that feat like "Queeny" Ardys Kellerman along with every year's groups. I'm an avid hiker & backpacker, but you won't find me climbing Mt Everest. I've met 3 folks who have and I admire the heck outta them too.

None of us is guaranteed tomorrow, so LIVE each day, don't just pass through it. Hope that doesn't make me a pratt!
Funny how 8 of the DNF where from crashes, 1 DNF was from exhaustion. 1 DNF was a BMW mechanical failure and there is post started about lack of BMW support and how bad that is. I would be more interested in the causes of the crashes.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #43 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 7:36 pm

I would like to me to remove myself from this thread, but before I go, I would like to apologize anyone that I offened, that was not the intent in my question. Nor was it a LEO question either.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #44 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 7:55 pm
Ted

Quote:
I would like to me to remove myself from this thread, but before I go, I would like to apologize anyone that I offened, that was not the intent in my question. Nor was it a LEO question either.
No offense taken here by anything you said. Facts are facts as unfortunate as they are.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in