Hint on catching up on what's going on in ALL forums - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 4:00 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Hint on catching up on what's going on in ALL forums

On the menu bar, there is a menu item for New Activity. Under that menu, there is an option to see all threads since your last visit.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew

That gives you a list of all threads that have been updated since you were last logged in on the site.

There's also an option to see all threads in the past 24 hours.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/search.p...=1&showposts=0

Also, if you just want to see everything that's happened in the last day, you can look under the New Activity menu and look for "past 24 hours"

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/search.p...=1&showposts=1

There are also options for last 48 hours, and last 7 days.

In addition, we also offer the ability to view all or selected forums via your RSS reader. More info at:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...6&postcount=23

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eljeffe; Jan 29th, 2006 at 4:06 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 4:43 pm

The "New posts since last visit" is the only way I check the site. If you visit daily as many of us do, or at least every two days, it is by far the best interface.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 9:27 pm

Thanks Jeff, I have been using the "New Activity since last visit" and in Display Mode, I pick "Hybrid Mode". I have been using my browser "Back" button to return to the thread listing. Question, when the thread is 5 or more pages long, is the Back button the only way to return to my new activity thread listing? Also when I post, I seem to loose the new activity thread listing that I created for the current site visit, if I use the back button. Can you suggest a method to return to the listing? Hope I made my self clear.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Hey, Barnett - not sure if this is the answer to your question, butt here's what I do. I read the thread listing in 'Hybrid' mode also, and navigate thru the thread listing chronologically - old to new. At the end/bottom of each thread, there is a clickable line mid-page width, that reads . That's how I get to the next thread in line, instead of using the back button to return to the listing and then clicking on the next thread.

Not too clear, Barnett - so my apologies in advance if I'm off track here.
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:15 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

At the bottom of the posts, there is a list of pages. If you use the < or > to scroll back and forth, you can do it without using back.

You might also go into your options and select a larger number of posts per page. The option is under UserCP, option Number of Posts to Show Per Page.

You can pick up to 100 posts per page.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 7:41 am

Thanks

This helps a lot as I was really getting where I did not like the upgrade because I thought the information was too limited. Talking to a couple of others here - they felt the same way too. Much Better - thanks for the tips.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 7:49 am

Thumbs up

You're right Bouncer Boy! The 'New Activity' feature is my newest and bestest friend. Thanks for suggesting it a couple weeks ago. All frequent visitors really need to use this feature.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 8:12 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

Joe,

I think it still goes back to what people were used to in the old system. The 24 hour/48 hour/7 day thing was what most people used. I added those to the list on the New Activity menu, and after 4 months, it hardly gets used. I've seen a real spike in the Since Last Visit option.

BTW, I read most of the posts on the site using my RSS Reader. It allows me almost to interact with the site as if it were an email system like IBMWR, with the exception that I can't post via email. I highly recommend that anyone who is used to interacting with sites that support reading posts via email check out the RSS feature of the site.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpos...76&postcount=23

It's the only way I can keep up with everything that goes on.

-
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 5:04 pm

I'm with you now Jeff. I got jackd to give me a hand in setting up RSSOwl and that is the only way I read the site now. Plus, I can update RSSOwl before leaving on a trip and read what's happened while in the air.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Is there a way of making the "new activity since last here" the default on opening the website? Thanks
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 2:35 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

No. But you can bookmark the link

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in