Peraves Superballmotor Engine - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Peraves Superballmotor Engine

Related thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34687
Relatated article: MCN, Sept. 2009, pp.38-9

Your next motorcycle may have real balls:
http://kugelmotor.peraves.ch/index_en.htm

Check out the animation on the web page.

Claiming only 3 moving parts, built in supercharger, double the power at half the RPM. Maybe the coolest engine invention since the Wankel.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 11:05 am

Re: Peraves Superballmotor Engine

My initial thoughts:

There are only '3' moving parts, but the inertia of the 'pistons' must be tremendous! What issues that raises with throttle response, seal wear, the ceramic balls, etc. remain to be seen. ( And aren't the balls moving and taking all the stress of guiding the massive cylinders through compression and exhaust cycles?)

It would seem to me that all of the motor's torque is being fed into the one central 'bearing' where the two shafts intersect. Could be an Achille's heel.

What effect will the moment of inertia of those really large rotating hemispheres have on the handling of a motorcycle? Depending on the attitude of the engine in the chassis, there might be some new forces for the frame and/or suspension to deal with.

Whatcha think a seal replacement job on one of these is gonna cost?!!

Looks like a wankel process that is twisted into another dimension. The 'rotors' are now HUGE, compression is accomplished by moving the cylinder 'walls' rather than the eccentric motion of the rotor in a static chamber, and any variable timing for the intake and/or exhaust to maximize efficiency would add a lot of complexity to the system.

I am certainly no engineer, but it looks like it might have specific applications: perhaps an optimumly tuned constant speed motor teamed with CVT transmission. I just think it is a long way from going down to your local dealer and buying one.

Bless 'em for thinking outside the box! I just wish someone would pursue hydrogen based fuel cells and the supporting infrastructure with as much passion. There is a heck of lot more hydrogen in the universe than petroleum ( or anything else for that matter ); plus you can drink the emissions!

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 12:55 pm

Interesting concept...

Any emissions info? How many MPG in it's current config?

Question: Why couldn't this be used as a way to push power to a battery? You don't need a huge engine to create energy to store. Make this ball motor small enuf to supplement a battery driven vehicle. It runs at a constant rate pushing power to the cells. Miles per gallon? If it's super efficient, very small, and runs at a rate where load does not require massive amounts of torque, it could be used as a supplement to a vehicle that runs electric motors only.

From what I understand, there are electric motors which out torque gasoline driven ones and they rev higher and quicker than a normally aspirated fueled motor.

What with the ability to recoup energy thru braking/coasting, solar supplementation and who knows what other method of energy creation, this type of thing could help create an electric car with unlimited miles in the battery pack that could conceivably get 100 mpg's (or more).

Or am I all wet???

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Pretty damm ingenious. The ceramic balll controlled movement is a great application of sperical control. Industrial ball valves use a much more basic methodology to do the same thing.

The key is using them in conjunction with the discs that control the intake.

I used to have a 2 stroke Kawasaki "rotary valve" - used the same principle for intake timing control - It was very accurate and effective. The supercharging is icing on the cake.

-Brian

Brian Vandivere
2008 RT

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

post #5 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Garage

So where is all this hydrogen coming from? Last time I checked, It takes more energy to produce the hydrogen then you get out of it. I could be wrong of course.
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 8:52 pm

Quote:
=Shogun54]------------------------------------------------
What effect will the moment of inertia of those really large rotating hemispheres have on the handling of a motorcycle? Depending on the attitude of the engine in the chassis, there might be some new forces for the frame and/or suspension to deal with.
If mounted longitudinaly, as in the LT, the rotating mass would not be a factor. Transversely, as a V-twin, the rotating mass would likely be no more than any large V-twin Crankshaft.
Quote:

Whatcha think a seal replacement job on one of these is gonna cost?!!
That was my first thought, and wondering if they can make the seals last. That was the big problem with the Wankel (Mazda), but they finally pretty much licked that one.[quote]

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 10:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

what a great idea!
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 11:18 pm

so if they made it a "4 Baller", would it have that kewl sound, or would it be a weird kinda sound?

and I guess new jargon at the shop would be- I cant help it...
he lost his balls.....

or hand me that bal breaker wrench... new hjack!

I think this is a novel design tho....

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 12:09 am

So raises the question of the RPM limit ?
Once exceeded does it mean you just busted your balz

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #10 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1200rtc1
So where is all this hydrogen coming from? Last time I checked, It takes more energy to produce the hydrogen then you get out of it. I could be wrong of course.
Ah, Bob ... you're gonna love this:

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/ne...y/02070902.asp

If we're looking for something plentiful to use as fuel ( or an energy storage medium ), the universe is ~75% hydrogen, ~25% helium; everything else is just trace elements. The trick is, as you say, how do we get it cheap enough to be viable? I'm afraid the days of cheap energy are gone forever; it's time to look for something commonly available that doesn't poison the planet when we use it.

Google 'hydrogen fuel'. Lot's of interesting stuff out there. And as an aside, the motor under discussion, as well as the regular old internal combustion engine can run on hydrogen. What company has developed cars that can run on both hydrogen and petroleum?

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'

Last edited by Shogun54; Aug 9th, 2009 at 10:46 pm. Reason: Grammar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in