1991 Bmw K75s - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 8:02 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

1991 Bmw K75s

Have a chance on this bike with 34,000, Corbin seats, Fox racing shocks, all manuals and the tool kit.

Somewhere in the $3000.00 Range.

Anything to look for on this bike or any "personality traits" I should be aware of?

TIA

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:44 pm

Re: 1991 Bmw K75s

that should be a sweet ride.
love that smooth flying brick motor

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 2:29 am

Lovely little bikes, very smooth engine as it has a balancer shaft. Check the usual culprits and anything you have learned from your LT. Couple of points I know of are check the fans spin as they have been known to sieze and not be noticed. The load sheding is done via the starter and if the bushes are worn it will not start. lots of info at

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 8:05 am

Rear splines are a problem area. Check them ASAP. IBMWR has good tips on their site.
Use Honda MOLY 60 paste on the splines- not anything from BMW.

Ron
91 K75RT
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 4:16 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well I went and looked at it and think I need to pass.

Cosmetically it was not as nice as I would have liked. I had reasonable expectations for a 17-18 year old bike but there was too much. The right side case cover and bag had rash on it. The bag bottom hinges were all but gone, barley holding them. The blue paint was in very good shape though.

Now I went on the Lt so the guy says go take it out. Well his driveway is VERY steep with a short flat spot on top.

I go to head down and I mean down, and stall. So I start it again and play with the clutch throw ans see it bites just a bit off of full pull. So I go again and start out make a left and run it a bit. It is not smooth as I was expecting. I try to run it up a bit but I am in a residential neighborhood so need to keep it somewhat moderate. Even into 45-50 It did not feel smooth.

I did not care one bit for the way it drove, hard to describe in such a brief ride and I am still trying to figure it out. Mostly it felt like I was fighting it. It felt very heavy in steering. It had Fox shocks on it. It had a New Z6 on the front I don't know what on the rear other then worn out. The shifting was notchy at best and I did do a false 1st into 2nd, but only once.

So I go UP, did I mention this was steep drive, it pulls me up pretty easy and I stop her. I hold the clutch in and try to put the side stand down and he say you cant hold the clutch in and put the side stand down, must be in neutral so OK.

So then I am taking and looking it over and look at all three rotors and they look very thin. It has not been inspected as I was told. Then I notice it is wet on the right side all around that rashed cover. I start looking and all the fins on the bottom are very wet, the center stand is just caked and wet. I would bet it is only that covers gasket but who knows?

As we are talking he said when he first got it it was only running on 2 cyls, and needed an injector replaced. I just have to wonder if it was being plagued by this issue, bad fuel, needed tuned up, or maybe needed run out longer and harder, but it was not smooth as I had expected from advice here.

So the rotors, never looked at pads, but I would replace them anyway, the rear tire, the leak, the road rash on the case and the cover, and I had called about the splines being done and was quoted 460.00, and I had to pass.

I think if someone really wanted one and just had to have one, it was a specimen worth going through. I don't know how rare, if at all, these are?

Hell if it was just the engine cover and bag, I would have found new bags and had the cover bead blasted and powder coated, or looked for a good used cover. I would have even attempted the spline lube no issues. But to jump in at 3000 and then what I would need just for inspection it would put me into more then I want to be for an 18 year old bike.

I will hold out until one calls my name.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in