Cleaning and Protecting the Finish - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 5:42 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Cleaning and Protecting the Finish

First off, my K1200GT is no garage queen. I just returned from a 3,000 mile ride in five days. This morning, I decided to clean and protect the bike to remove the bugs, avoid sticky spots and stains, and put a protective coat on it.

I washed the bike with the new leather seats removed, per the advice of Bill "Rocky" Mayer, who has a 2006 KGT. He says that the insides of the KGT get soaked through the front and from underneath as well as from seepage, and not to worry about it. I used BMW Bug Remover spray on the serious bug spots in the front, Captain Richard's Cherry Wash on the rest, S100 Wheel Cleaner on the wheels, and then rinsed everything off thoroughly. After it was clean and dry, I applied Mother's Carnauba Wax on the painted parts of the bike as a protectant. (Metallic Blue only, not the grey or metal parts. Per "Rocky", I applied Bee Natural "Leather Amore" on the new seats. He says to do it once a month to protect the leather from sunlight and inclement weather.

Simply put, I would like wisdom of the group on the best way to clean and protect the finish. I don't mind products that take some work to use (e.g., paste wax), but want the best protection I can find, because I want my bike to last.

Any recommendations or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 5:48 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Cleaning and Protecting the Finish

Over the years, I have acquired lots of stuff for cleaning and polishing stuff sitting around. I would also like the wisdom of the list about these items, too. Before you chastise me about the size of my collection, note that some I bought myself, but others were gifts, prizes, or "included with the purchase of a..."

Washes
* S100 Total Cycle Cleaner - I have been warned that this is a powerful degreaser, that it leaves a white residue that leaches out lubricants and is caustic to seals. I don't use it any more.
* S100 Wheel Cleaner - Same as above, but in a thicker goo that sticks to wheels. I use this, but only on the outer wheel rims. I don't think it gets brake dust off any better than other cleaners.
http://www.s100.com/

* Capt. Richard's Cherry Wash (see below)

* BMW Insect Remover (83 12 0 405 188) - I have used this and it works, but I don't know if it is any better than an ordinary cleaner when I wash the bike.

Cleaners and Protectants
* BMW Motorcycle Detailer (http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...cycle+Detailer)
* ProtectAll - Cleaner and Protectant (http://www.protectall.com/)
* Capt. Richard's Best (see below).

Windscreen and Helmet Faceshields
* Plexus - I recommend this product
* Novus 1 Plastic Clean and Shine - Good, but I like Plexus better

Capt. Richard's (http://www.captainrichardsbest.com/welcome.htm/)
Aside from the Cherry Wash, I haven't tried any of these yet, but I have them at home:
Capt. Richard's Cherry Wash - Works well. Cherry scented. Really.
Capt. Richard's Best - Cleaner and Protectant
Capt. Richard's Bomb's Away (Boms Away): Metal cleaner and polisher
Capt. Richard's Multi-purpose Cleaner and Degreaser (sounds like S100 to me??)

Any experiences or recommendations?
Which should I throw (or give) away?
Which do you like?
What do you have that isn't on my list that you suggest?
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Simply put, I would like wisdom of the group on the best way to clean and protect the finish. I don't mind products that take some work to use (e.g., paste wax), but want the best protection I can find, because I want my bike to last.

Any recommendations or advice?
Ole Toad has shaved and showered with Brillianize since birth. Use it everywhere 'cept tires, seats, knee cushions and footpegs. Everywhere! When it sez "don't use it on anythang you plan on painting", I figger it must put on a good coat of sumpthin' slickery. I do it once a year - maybe once every other year.

Use it on the cages too.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:31 am

I have used all kinds of products over the years but I kinda like the Plexus or Honda spray polish. I have three friends that only use the Capt. Richards bike polish (used to be called The Bom) and they really like it. They use it on the windshield to the seat. The whole bike gets it. I have never used it but they really like it and it's just one thing to carry and clean with.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 9:37 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I have used all kinds of products over the years but I kinda like the Plexus or Honda spray polish. I have three friends that only use the Capt. Richards bike polish (used to be called The Bom) and they really like it. They use it on the windshield to the seat. The whole bike gets it. I have never used it but they really like it and it's just one thing to carry and clean with.
The name has been changed from "The Bomb" to "Capt. Richard's Best".

Another of the Capt. Richard's products, Boms Away, is now "Bombs Away" and is a metal polish. Jerry Finley (the Pirate of Pirate's Lair motorcycle accessories) recommended it highly, which induced me to buy a package with Capt. Richards suite of products to give them a try.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 7:30 pm

I have done this for a long time, and it is now easier to find. Use a 'clay bar' on the painted surfaces. Follow the directions on the package. Then apply a good wax. Works great.

2006 R1200RT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in