Debating on what to do... I need a M/C lift - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Debating on what to do... I need a M/C lift

I am getting a little too old to be crawling around on my garage floor working on the LT. I have been looking at table lifts for a while now and I can't decide on what I want to do. I'm stuck in between buying one in the $4000- $500 range or building my own. I found this web sit
www.afabonline.com/cycle.htm that sells the plans to build a table lift. It looks to be very well built and I could modify it to meet my needs. If anyone has ever built there own lift I would greatly appreciate any advise they can offer.

2001 K1200LTC
1988 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane
1986 Honda 750 Night Hawk
1980 Honda CB750F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:18 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Debating on what to do... I need a M/C lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott122262
I am getting a little too old to be crawling around on my garage floor working on the LT. I have been looking at table lifts for a while now and I can't decide on what I want to do. I'm stuck in between buying one in the $4000- $500 range or building my own. I found this web sit
www.afabonline.com/cycle.htm that sells the plans to build a table lift. It looks to be very well built and I could modify it to meet my needs. If anyone has ever built there own lift I would greatly appreciate any advise they can offer.
The type of lift listed in the web link WILL NOT work on a LT as there IS NO frame on the LT on the bottom. For $400 to $500 you can get a table lift to raise the bike up

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
The type of lift listed in the web link WILL NOT work on a LT as there IS NO frame on the LT on the bottom. For $400 to $500 you can get a table lift to raise the bike up
Look under "Table Lift". That is the one that will work.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:34 am Thread Starter

You must have looked at the cycle lift plans. I was referring to the table lift plans for $30.00.

2001 K1200LTC
1988 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane
1986 Honda 750 Night Hawk
1980 Honda CB750F
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:37 am

spend the dough and get a handy lift.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:37 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Opps Sorry I missed that one. But I still think you could buy one for what you want to spend.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:44 am

Unless you're going to be using the lift all the time, you can get by with one of the Harbor Freight lifts. Make certain you get the one with the front wheel chock. Mine has both air and manual pump lift operation. You will need to make up some sort of side extensions to help you get the bike on the lift (unless you have legs like a giraffe) and make sure the lift is absolutely level before you raise the bike up on it.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
Unless you're going to be using the lift all the time, you can get by with one of the Harbor Freight lifts. Make certain you get the one with the front wheel chock. Mine has both air and manual pump lift operation. You will need to make up some sort of side extensions to help you get the bike on the lift (unless you have legs like a giraffe) and make sure the lift is absolutely level before you raise the bike up on it.
Once you own a lift, you find you DO use it all the time... ours is a Direct Lift Pro Cycle XLT, with the side sections to make it wide enough for a four wheeler - a great place to set your tools, beer, etc! The only thing I don't like about ours is that it's black, so all those tupperware screws can hide from you when you drop them. We've had it for several years now and it works like new and is so sturdy you can climb up on it with an LT up there, no problem.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 11:27 am

Check out this site. http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/...ifts_s/292.htm

I was able to buy the AL-1000M online and pick it up at a local warehouse. The lift is great, much better than the Harbor Freight lift and will hold the LT with no problems.

I really love having a lift, my old bones appreciate it even more than my head.

Jim Woodring
Monroe (Fly Speck), Tennessee
2001 K1200LT Canyon Red
1988 K100LT Tobacco Brown
1976 R60/6 Red
1975 Norton Commando Black with oil spots
post #10 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 11:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have a Harbor Freight lift. I modified mine slightly by adding wing nuts (non-Detroit type) to secure the removable rear plate and a piece of black pipe through the rear frame for added strength. I built two fold-up ramps and a small extension for the O.E. ramp and now I can easily load and unload the cycle myself. I doubt that in private use someone could ever wear it out. It all fits underneath my 2WD Dakota pickup truck when it's not being used except for the front end of the lift where the wheel clamp is located. That end goes against the garage wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 1:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I got a Handy S.A.M. 1000 http://www.mile-x.com/handy-16000-motorcycle-lift.aspx From mile http://www.mile-x.com/ this spring . I have my LT on it right now , to work on a slipping clutch . I borrowed a Handy lift from a friend last to put a rear main seal in my GS . I decided then and there , I need to get me one of these things . Mile -X shipped it to me cheaper that it would have cost to drive down there and pick it up .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #12 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 2:54 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

If you don't mind taking a drive, here's one:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485753

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #13 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 3:04 pm

I have the Harbor Freight manual lift and it works just fine.

I put a chock on the front. I put two cinder blocks on each side and that allows me to ride the bike right up into the chock. The chock holds the bike securely on the lift so I can get off and put the tie downs on it.

But if you've got 4 or 5 grand to spend you can get a really nice lift.
I think the HF lift costs about 300 bucks.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #14 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 4:30 pm

I was able to get the Harbor Freight lift for 20% off a price that was mistakenly reduce by $90. It is the pneumatic 1200 lb lift and it hoists the old gal right into the air no problem. The earlier comment about needing wings on the side of the table to safely ride the bike onto the table is valid.The HF wing kit is $200! There was a post earlier this week where a guy had a beeeyootiful shiny new hex head bike sitting on a lift table. For wings he took a pair of pickup loading ramps and built 4x4 risers to bring the level of the ramp up to the level of the table where he tied them to u bolts fastened to the tables surface. I will implement this tonight as I already have the identical 2x10x8' loading ramps.

I probably shouldn't post this picture as I didn't take it but the motorcycle, while not an LT is still gorgeous and the side ramps will improve the safety of the lift tables immensely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sideramps mc lift.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	23768  

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 7:20 pm

I have the Harbor Freight 1200 lb air lift and use the drive on car ramps I use for changing oil in the cars to extend my leg reach. The ramps and lift work great.

Rodger

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Ride Safe
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 8:41 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Another vote for the Handy. Bought mine through Raffy's group buy about 4 motorcycles ago. The Tiger is sitting on it right now. That thing is going to get passed down to my grandson. Great lift.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Another vote for the Handy. Bought mine through Raffy's group buy about 4 motorcycles ago. The Tiger is sitting on it right now. That thing is going to get passed down to my grandson. Great lift.
And another Handy vote. When I wuz looking for a lift, I visited several m/c shops in the San Antonio/Austin area and every one of 'em had Handy Lifts. Some with hydraulic actuation; some with electric; and some with air. I chose the electric and couldn't be happier. That wuz 9 years ago and I'd buy another today if this one went south.
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 7:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Another vote for the Harbor Freight manual lift. To make it much better to ride onto, I added some sides from a 2 x 8. There is angle iron welded to the bottom edge to hold the sides in place. The wood is cut to fit on the lip, so it isn't going anywhere.

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #19 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:24 am

I have the HF 1000# foot pump lift and love it. Just make sure you have the bike properly secured before you start to let her down! The release is very touchy and needs only slight "toe" pressure to come down. Here is a good deal right now on a better wheel lock for the lift. Also a coupon for purchase. I got the extended warranty that covers everything, including my stupidity! Also they have 15 and 20 % off coupons everywhere if you look. Brought the price of my lift down to about $250.00. When I'm not using my lift, I stand it on end and strap it against the wall next to the garage door. Up and out of the way.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...5&keycode=0000

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
post #20 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:58 am

Scott#####,

PM me, I have some info for you best given outside the public forum.

wa1200lt

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #21 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:31 am

I'm another Harbour Freight lift owner, it works good enough for me.
There are of course better (more expensive) lifts out there but for my budget
and considering how often I use it, I'm satisfied.

I have found a multitude of uses for it that I never thought of before I owned one,
it makes a great "work bench" to work on lawn mowers, washer/dryers, bicycles etc.
and just about anything else that needs to be fixed.

A while ago my wife wanted new washer/dryer, we gave the old ones to her granddaughter.
now ten years ago I would have picked them up and lifted them in and out of my pickup truck,
can't do it anymore, (well I probably could but I'd pay for it the next couple days)

I was able to raise the lift, slide the washer/dryer of the lift and into the truck.
All of that and no back ache, nice!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in