Almost put in diesel fuel today! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 4:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Almost put in diesel fuel today!

Be careful out there - I almost screwed up!

Stopped at a BP station this afternoon off of highway 60 and was ready to fuel up when the lady running the station came out of the store to ask me if the bike ran on diesel. The pump was marked diesel, but it wasn't very obvious. I don't think I was the first at that station to almost make the mistake. I was hot, tired and not paying attention.......

Question: Has anyone put in diesel by mistake? What did you do to fix it? If I had added just a little, would it have been OK to top it off with gas to dilute it and then ride? Just curious.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Re: Almost put in diesel fuel today!

Well, until the small amount of diesel fuel cleared the system that had been diluted by gasoline you added after you realized what you were doing, they could pay you for fogging for mosquitoes.

If you had the filled the bike up fully, you'd have been lucky to get the bike to start. Diesel is really more of an oil than gas and a full tank would probably had kept you from starting the bike. If it did start, you'd need new plugs before long. Plus you'd be smoking worse than the diluted fule load.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 4:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't see how it could hurt anything, especially when one considers all the fuel additives they try to force feed us at the local auto store. Way back in the 60's I was told that diesel fuel was a good fuel system cleaner. I put it in with gasoline. While running, the VW bug smoked and smelled like a diesel, also had a bit of power loss but I never did any carburetor or engine disassembly to check for results.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Read on another MC forum where one of the members added Diesel fuel He was on a road trip. What they did was drain the tank of fuel, put gasoline back in. It sputtered a while until the residue diesel cleared the system. When he got home, changed plugs

Marty Galison
Surprise, Arizona

"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver

Stopped at a BP station this afternoon off of highway 60 and was ready to fuel up when the lady running the station came out of the store to ask me if the bike ran on diesel. The pump was marked diesel, but it wasn't very obvious. I don't think I was the first at that station to almost make the mistake. I was hot, tired and not paying attention.......

Question: Has anyone put in diesel by mistake? What did you do to fix it? If I had added just a little, would it have been OK to top it off with gas to dilute it and then ride? Just curious.....
Dan, a bit of diesel can be cured pretty easy and dilutes well with gas, may foul the plugs, BUT put gas in a diesel engine is a reak PITA. One of our employees put gas in our Sprinter and it cost $1200.00 to get it back to normal...

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 9:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This is a good heads-up; watch those dual-fuel pumps!

Just last week I came very close to doing the same thing. I had the diesel nozzle in the LT's tank and was about ready to start pumping. Something made me look back at the pump and that's when I realized I was about to cause a problem. I switched nozzles quickly, while glancing around to see who might have noticed.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 9:11 pm

DAn,
Are you NOT telling us something? Something the collective SHOULD know?
Like you didnt think we wouldnt notice...
Diesel- in a gas tank.. of an LT...
We heard the rumours.. We heard the suspicious innuendo...

Ya got it Didnt ya? You got the NEW BMW K1600 LT Diesel, didnt ya?

Before anyone else got a chance to see....

(run with it DAN- Tape LED Farkles and HD chrome all over it and show us)

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Has anyone put in diesel by mistake?
Sure, BTDT.
On one of my Euro trips I was rushing out for the day's route (always late, of course). At the gas station, as I was getting ready to close the gas cap of the rented K12GT and pay, my travel companion asked innocently: "Did you just fill it with diesel?"

Damn, I forgot again: in Europe, green handle is gas, black handle is diesel (not sure if it is a rule, but have seen that often enough). Remember this, boys and girls.

Anyway, as BMW road service was unreachable (of course), the attendant at that Toulouse gas station helped me a lot: translated for me with BMW in Paris and finally summoned regular, local road assistance. In the meantime, local car repair garage (a Fiat shop, to that) just gave me a plastic container and tubing so that by the time the little Citroen pulled up I siphoned most of the stuff out.

The arriving mechanic finished the job with an electric pump (I am thinking it happens often - he was prepared with adapters), flushed the tank with another half load of gas and drove away, taking with him the contaminated mix (which I was quite concerned about - how to get rid of a few gallons of fuel in a city).

No problems, except for wasted 2-3 hours and 80 euro for service. Now, I am paranoid when filling up, stateside and abroad - especially abroad.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #9 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Happened to me last November in a rented (very nice) Lancia cage, in the center of France. It was 5AM and I guess I was not fully paying attention, and living in the US I just don't have the instincts anymore. Took the green handle - due to branding, the Diesel mention was not very visible, but the paint and handle were green on the pump. I should have known....
Filled her up, started the engine. 200 meters later I knew what I'd done. I found out I remembered foul words in more language than I thought I'd ever learned.
Had to wait till 7AM for assistance. Tow, pumping (not tank pumping, but since I had been stupid enough to start it, pumping from the end of the fuel line under the hood, then a flush with gas, some gas in the tank with additives, and I was on my way.
4 hours and 120 Euro wasted, including the tow.
But what was hurting most was my pride...
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Yes. It happened to a friend and his wife. See this thread:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36441
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 7:19 am

Garage

I know someone within this group that filled up on diesel...if he doesn't speak up here it will remain an embarrassing secret between him, me & anyone else he told....he went to a hardware store & got some hoses to siphon as much of the diesel out as he could...refilled with gas, got the engine go'in & rode off like he was spraying for mosquitoes.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 7:36 am

Quote:
Be careful out there

I was hot, tired and not paying attention.......
It happened to a friend of mine many years ago during bike week.
They closed up the bars downtown
and filled up on the way back to the campground.

Woke me up at 4 am we retrieved the bike
then looked it over in the morning, smelled the diesel,

he had to take a lot of "razzing" from "the Harley boys"
to this day he's known as "Diesel Joe"

"Diesel Dan" does have a nice ring to it!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 14 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 9:52 am

I filled my 99 LT with diesel somewhere in Kansas a couple of summers ago. I started the bike an it ran for about 1 minute. Knowing the nearest dealer was probably in another state I panicked. My cousin and I pushed the bike away from the station, borrowed a siphon pump from a garage near by, emptied the tank, refilled with gas and she fired right up. The bike would smoke on hard acceleration for a couple of hundred miles but then all was well. That was near 10K ago and I have not changed the plugs or anything else that might have been effected since then. Bike runs great for me.
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 10:51 am

Happened to a new rider that joined us for a run to Ojai, Ca. It got progressively worse as he rode. He turned around and managed to leave a smoke trail all the way back home. Dealer flushed the fuel system and changed plugs and filters. All was well except for his ego.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in