Mirror 1 - pigeon zero!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 9:53 am Thread Starter

Mirror 1 - pigeon zero!!

I was cruising into work this morning - the usual 'haul' to get in early, beat the traffic .etc...

I'm zipping along in lane 2 and watch a pigeon, flying erratically, come zipping behind a billboard pickup from lane 1. The pigeon is flapping like crazy and nearly vertical to keep out my lane; however, it's trajectory is putting directly in my path!

I swerved and stayed in my lane, but alas, my left mirror took out the pigeon & the pigeon was big enough to break my mirror tether -- dangit!

Ultimately, it's funny now in retrospect - dang bird flying at when you're clipping along -- you have to love the size of that fairing at times like that! I've heard of guys getting hit by birds that knocked them completely off their bikes..... So if having to get a new mirror is all I have to worry about - that's pretty dang good!

So where do I get a left mirror - silver - for my LT??

Best,
Steve M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:26 am

Re: Mirror 1 - pigeon zero!!

Check ebay. Those mirrors are expensive. Check beemerboneyard.com and LTParts.com too. If you're patient you can find one < $100.

Good thing you're head or something didn't hit the bird!
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:30 am

Glad you're OK. A long time ago I hit a pigeon on my HD FXRP Police Motor with the windshield. It was probably the nastiest mess I've ever cleaned off a motorcycle AND myself.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by blueknightga6; Jun 22nd, 2009 at 2:22 pm.

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:39 am

Re: I Got a Grouse

Can't claim any pigeons but I did bounce a grouse off my shoulder at about 45 mph while riding a dirt bike several years ago.
About the same impact as a 10 yr old swinging a bat ... gives one new respect for the power of birds.

I suspect bird strikes on bikes may be more common than those on planes - anybody know?
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 1:30 pm

Now imagine a couple of Greater Canadian's hitting the induction of a Pratt and Whitney jet engine...............whew...................
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 2:54 pm

I came upon a large man on a Harley that took a turkey in his rib cage--it did not dismount him but he believed it broke several ribs. The turkey was flopping around in the ditch...and the biker was probably going to take him home.

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #7 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 4:59 pm

Was with a group of riders on the BRP a few years back and a wild turkey (bird, not drink) flew right in front of the lead rider going around 50 mph hit the bike square in the middle of the faring. I estimate the bird was about 25 lbs. Busted the windshield some, messed up the faring. Rider just a little, ahem, dirty. Turkey poop stinks. At least that what he said it was. lol

Glad you were unhurt.

Ultra LT
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 5:26 pm

I nearly had a pelican come through the window of the cab-over box truck I was driving.
Instead, he hit just below and left a dent the size of a dinner platter in the sheet metal.

Just lucky. For me anyway.
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 6:20 pm

I had to duck a flying armadillo near Texarkana one night when the cage in front of me swerved to run it down and launched it from its rr tire

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in