To cover or not to cover - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 8:10 am Thread Starter

To cover or not to cover

I am just curious--how many of you cover your bike at the hotel for the night? If you do--other than the obvious reason of protecting your ride from the elements do it for security purposes, i.e. keeping gawkers from performing visual examinations and illegal touching of your ride?
Also, any recommendations for covers would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Wade

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 8:17 am

Re: To cover or not to cover

I'm sure others will have more to say, but considering I'm leaving on a 4 week trip to Alaska in 2 weeks, I opted to go the cover route. I have always said out of sight, out of mind. Keeps the curious away, but not the real criminals.

I bought the Traveller cover ( EDIT: E-Z Touring is the vendor) can't remember the vendor, but will edit this post after I look it up. I liked it because it was pretty strong but pretty compact - and it's a half cover so I did not have to worry about how to handle the FM/CB antennas.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

Last edited by VRodPete; Jun 15th, 2009 at 9:15 am.
post #3 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 8:50 am

I use an Ultragard 1/2 cover primarily to keep the dew off the seat. It is also light and easy to pack. Additionally, I don't have to remove the antenna. Here is a link to see what it looks like. Click

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #4 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 9:11 am

I run a full cover (Ultra-guard). I placed a grommet in it for the antenna to slip through. It only takes a minute to throw it on and you always have a shelter to throw up if you get caught out in the weather................
post #5 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 9:36 am

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #6 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 10:22 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Walmart sells a Large Motorcycle Cover for abot $10 - $15 that fits the LT, GS Adventure as well as the GL1800.
And, at the other end of the spectrum, there's Geza Gear:

http://www.gezagear.com/

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #7 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 10:28 am

EZ Touring Traveler 1/2 cover. Keeps most of the dew off. I usually park in the unload area/ front door area (when it's ok- every time, so far) so I'm not worried about theft.
post #8 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 11:00 am

http://www.eztouring.com/traveller.htm

Have used the EX-Traveller half-cover (Size X) for the past several years.
Bike is always covered, so the cover lasts about a year to year and a half.
UV eats the material up.
Protects the bike and gear from the elements (rain, UV)
and keeps the curious and prying eyes away.
post #9 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input...in the past I haven't covered her but recently I have noticed more and more riders covering their rides and I thought perhaps there is some wisdom in doing so.

Thanks again...

Wade

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #10 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 5:49 pm

That is one item I choose not to take. Strickly a space saving concern for me. The bike has a good alarm, locks and I usually park where I can see it or right at the front door so the staff can see it. Never had a bit of trouble. Had to dry it off in the morings a couple times, but....

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #11 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 6:04 pm

I always cover mine when we travel. Keeps the prying eye off.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #12 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
I use an Ultragard 1/2 cover primarily to keep the dew off the seat. It is also light and easy to pack. Here is a link to see what it looks like. Click
Jim,
How big is the bag when the cover is packed inside?

I have a Dowco Guardian full cover that nearly takes up the whole right-side pannier with the CD changer in place. Too big to try to take to CCR. Half cover will be plenty for overnight use.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #13 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 6:41 pm

I keep my Helen Twowheels Wet Bag in the side case.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...h_and_Wet_Bags

When I pack up a wet bike cover,
I stuff the cover into the wet bag and strap the wet bag to my topcase rack.
The wet stuff stays out of my dry areas.
Like, this evening when I leave work after the severe thunderstorm passes.
post #14 of 29 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 7:16 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have a half cover for mine for UV protection only. So I only use it during the day and I only put it on if the bike is clean. I don't want to get the dirty grit on the inside of the cover. I also have the BMW full size cover just in case I ever have to park it under my deck for awhile.

I like the dew in the morning on the bike because if it isn't to dirty I'll just wipe it dry. I also carry a short handle soft brush & sometimes fill up the garbage can from the room with water & wash with no soap. I soak the windshield with a wet rag first & then before I get the water dirty I always wash the windshield first with the soft brush.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 29 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 6:15 am

This is the one I use, Tour King Covers . When I travel I always cover the bike. Keeps the dew and wandering eyes off the bike. It fits in a small stuff sack that's just a bit bigger then a 12 oz soda can.

On a side note I have an extra one if you're interested. PM me for details.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #16 of 29 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 7:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Jim,

I have a Dowco Guardian full cover that nearly takes up the whole right-side pannier with the CD changer in place. Too big to try to take to CCR. Half cover will be plenty for overnight use.
its about the size of a quart zip-loc bag stuffed to the gills. Pretty compact if you ask me.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #17 of 29 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 8:03 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I use a half cover also. It keeps the bike dry & hands off. It also packs up small. The bag is about 12 inches long by 5 inched diameter

Stevie Shreeve
post #18 of 29 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 8:59 am

If you've moved your rear seat back, you can stuff the 1/2 covers between the rear seat backrest and topcase. That way, if it's wet, you don't have to worry about stuffing it in the cases, and you have more room for other stuff. I have a tire repair kit and 1/2 cover stored that way.
post #19 of 29 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Jim,

It doesn't take up much room. The stuff sack that mine came with measures 10in x 11in when laid flat without the cover in it. Probably about 7in diameter cylinder when packed. See attached photos.

If space is an issue for you, some guys stuff a cover in the space between the rear seat and the top case. I tried it and it is a pretty tight fit. Also, I use that space to store the Helen2Wheel K1200LT tie down straps when I don't have stuff strapped to my rear seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	23449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1115.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	23450  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #20 of 29 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
This is the one I use, Tour King Covers . When I travel I always cover the bike. Keeps the dew and wandering eyes off the bike. It fits in a small stuff sack that's just a bit bigger then a 12 oz soda can.

On a side note I have an extra one if you're interested. PM me for details.

Hey Bob, I sent you a PM...

Wade

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #21 of 29 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 8:35 pm

I bought my Hiwaystar Motorcycle Cover XXL on eBay... from champion covers for 40 bucks.. waterproof, sealed hems, and chammie like fabric where it touches the the windscreen...also came with a cable lock... and bungie cords....

Two purposes. Primarily keeping it out of elements if parked overnight outdoors. And most definitely to keep it from being an obvious target...the xxl cover shrouds everything except the bottom of the Final Drive.

Fits nicely in a side case...it is heavy duty.. and doesn't store small.. .however, I find it a worth while investment.

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #22 of 29 Old Jun 16th, 2009, 10:47 pm

Another vote for the Traveler half cover,
I feel more secure with "things" out of sight, also leather seats stay wet a long time.

I carry it all the time and have even used it to go into restaurants and stores to cover helmets and jackets etc.

It's not going to keep anybody from stealing, just from seeing.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #23 of 29 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 2:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
Hey Bob, I sent you a PM...

Wade

Reply sent

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #24 of 29 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 9:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

EZ Touring Traveller:
Another +1 on the Traveller. I used the Traveller on my Magna to protect it from the Southern California sun in an open parking lot all day, including those brutal 110 degree days. The seat, gauges, etc. all looked new when I sold it after 21 years of ownership. Hint: Use that UV protectant spray that they recommend. Your cover will last about a decade of daily sun exposure.

http://www.eztouring.com/

Disclaimer: I got to know the original owners of the business and helped them set up their web domain registrations. A few years ago, they sold the business to one of the people (your typical grandma type) who made the covers for years and years. They are still hand made by little old ladies in Bend, OR.

Cover Storage:
Meese has a cover similar to the Traveller. He stores it in a small metal mailbox, attached to the plastic rear fender on his GT where the license plate goes. The license plate is attached to the mailbox. Meese points out that on rainy days, he doesn't have to store a wet cover with the rest of his gear. Very convenient.

Geza Gear:
When I bought my K1200GT a couple years ago, I wanted a new cover. The Geza Gear cover was on a closeout sale, so I bought it because I wanted the "best" for my new motorcycle. I wish I had bought another Traveller. The Geza cover is a nice looking cover on dry days, but rain will pass through it. My primary complaint is that it isn't nearly as small as the Traveller when put away.
post #25 of 29 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 9:36 am

Consideration on selecting a cover.
The cover should be taut on the bike.
Several times, I've had to adjust covers on other bikes parked in our parking lot at the headquarters.
On windy days, those loose covers catch the wind and act like spinnaker sails.
When the bikes are parked in those narrow bike stalls, they'll fall like dominos when the first bike gets blown over, a.k.a. the Duatis at the MotoGP race in Indianapolis, last year.

I've relocated my bike away from the others on windy days to prevent collateral damage.
post #26 of 29 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I carry it all the time and have even used it to go into restaurants and stores to cover helmets and jackets etc.

It's not going to keep anybody from stealing, just from seeing.
Thanks Hans--that's a good idea. I hate dragging stuff with me.

Wade

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #27 of 29 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 5:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
I am just curious--how many of you cover your bike at the hotel for the night? If you do--other than the obvious reason of protecting your ride from the elements do it for security purposes, i.e. keeping gawkers from performing visual examinations and illegal touching of your ride?
Also, any recommendations for covers would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Wade
I generally cover mine. As you say, it keeps away prying eyes to some degree and also keeps rain and dew off the seat. It takes only a couple of minutes to install and remove/repack.

I use a half cover and just bought the E-Z Touring cover for my LT. My only disappointment is that it lacks the windshield protector that my previous cover had (I don't remember the brand of my Kaw Voyager cover unfortunately). Given that E-Z Touring is one of the pricier covers, next to the BMW cover, I expected to have the flannel windshield protector. Hopefully, this doesn't cause damage to the windshield over time.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #28 of 29 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Have both the Cee Bailey and Z-Technic windshields.
No issues with scratches over the past six years.....
post #29 of 29 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 1:26 am

Garage

I pack a BMW full cover when I'm over nighting but daily.In the company lot, Im on my second year with an E-bay .99 cent Chinese Parachute cover. And the HF grommets and Bungee holdin it on.

Murphy's law & no Excuses!
and no1 can argue!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in