The "Unhelmeted" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 12:03 am Thread Starter

The "Unhelmeted"

Just took off on our vacation. Passing through Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota I'm really surprised at the unhelmeted majority. Not only that, how do people ride with no windshield, no helmet, and no glasses? They must have 2 glass eyes!

Mandatory seat belt laws but no mandatory helmet laws?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 12:30 am

Re: The "Unhelmeted"

Quote:
Originally Posted by perniculous
Not only that, how do people ride with no windshield, no helmet, and no glasses? They must have 2 glass eyes!

They were wearing glasses. You just couldn't see tham through your face shield

Yeah the politicians in this communist part of the country are dumba**es. They just make laws that create cashflow. I don't understand why we should live our lives to other peoples expectations..
P.S. Helmet laws suck...freedom of choice or they may outlaw your motorcycle completely because they are dangerous!

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #3 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 12:56 am

Freedom of choice...good. Plain ole freedom...best. Google "motorcycle accidents" and check out the riders choices.

"“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT

post #4 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 9:03 am

Always amazes me when the old time 'ABATE' crowd shows up..............They all have stories about how their lives were saved by being able to hear and use their peripheral vision to save them selves....................Twice I've been asked by these missing links to donate to some one in the hospital with head injuries..............they are generally called 'Donors'.......................
post #5 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:19 am

I always wear a helmet now. OK , there was the time we went to Myrtle Beach, 8 years or so ago, and rode the strip at 10 mph for about 1 mile... helmetless. I still feel the shame.

I don't know how they can ride w/ no windscreen/ fairing, helmet, and still see, especially once they get above 45 mph.

However, I don't care if there is a law to make helmets mandatory or not, and I try not to tell others that they must wear a helmet. If the riders of this forum are the "typical" BMW riders, most have been riding a very long time. If that's the case, remember when we started- there was no "safety gear" (or if there was, I was too young and poor to care), and I don't remember if there was a helmet law. I didn't care if there was and I rode with my long, pony-tailed hair getting tangled up in the wind (that was stupid... yanking hair out of my head every night trying to comb out tangles) as I wound out my Yami 100 on hiways, dirtways, or anyways I could get it. My safety gear consisted of blue jeans, whatever shoes I owned (didn't pay attention), and a t-shirt or button-up whatdya call it (cowboy-type, striped horizontally and vertically) shirt. I don't think I knew what gloves were, I lived in El Paso (don't believe they sell gloves there). All I cared about was scoring some pocket change to fill the gas tank up. I don't remember people lecturing me on the perils of riding without gear, and would have laughed at them (and maybe mugged them if my friends were with me... just kidding, sort of) pretty long and hard.

Nowadays, I do cringe a little when I see folks out without gear (thinkiing about how that flesh could react when it is introduced to a harder surface), esp. women for some reason... maybe it's my old age and the fact I now realize I'm not immortal.

Anywho, people have to make choices.
post #6 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
Yeah the politicians in this communist part of the country are dumba**es. They just make laws that create cashflow. I don't understand why we should live our lives to other peoples expectations..
P.S. Helmet laws suck...freedom of choice or they may outlaw your motorcycle completely because they are dangerous!
Anyone who thinks a serious head injury only affects them is an idiot. That is why we have to keep adding what should be unnecessary laws to protect the general public from the stupidity of others. Now we are having to have laws introduced to keep people from TEXTING while driving!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Never ride without a helmet myself, but the last thing we need is more laws. Granted a head injury may affect (not harm) more than just the person involved but where does it stop? There are head injuries in auto accidents as well, should we make it mandatory for vehicle occupants to wear helmets, kevlar..... where does it stop? I just think we as a so called free society are more than regulated enough. If it is likely to harm someone else ie. texting while driving that is a little more understandable. Just my .02 cents.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #8 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 6:38 pm

...and the number one reason for wearing ONLY a one piece full face helmet:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	helmet-impact.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	23429  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
...and the number one reason for wearing ONLY a one piece full face helmet:
Ron, what are the graphics supposed to represent? A study of damage to the left and right side of helmets based on the percentage of the total sample that incurred damage in those locations? Who did the study, what was the sample size, and most importantly, what was the relative severity in each area and why are modular or flip-ups excluded from your stamp of approval?
post #10 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 8:24 pm

here you go

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/swisher.htm

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #11 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

In Michigan where I live, the unhelmeted would definitely affect others. We have what's called "Catastrophic Claims" premiums added to our motor vehicle insurance rates for big dollar ongoing medical care for vehicle accidents. About 10 years ago we got some money back, but now we pay more for it.

Unless an unhelmeted rider buys the farm, we're all stuck paying for the almost organ donor.

That said, the BUGS IN FACE would bother me more!

---

furthermore there shouldn't be seat belt laws in states that choose not to have helmet laws.
post #12 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Quote:
Just took off on our vacation. Passing through Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota I'm really surprised at the unhelmeted majority. Not only that, how do people ride with no windshield, no helmet, and no glasses? They must have 2 glass eyes!

Until you have road 10 to 15 years without a helmet and road weeks with your brothers bar hopping halfway across the us and back you ain't lived!!!!!

Lots of of people are scared of their bikes without full armor from king Arthur's day,,

Riding on the very edge of of eternity when your young is better than drugs... try one time set the throttle at 100 MPH on a fairly straight 2 lane highway, Put the front tire on the white stripes and stay on the line for 15 miles,,, Pure Nirvana,, till you do you will never know what life is all about being between 2 cars going in opposite directions and you in the middle,,,makes me want my chopper back.........Pete
post #13 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:14 pm

When I Google "motorcycle accidents", I always learn something from at least one accident. The latest accident in the Houston area resulted in one death (38 year old female) and critically injured a retired LEO (56 year old male).

"Investigators suspect freshly poured, uneven and unmarked pavement may have caused the tragic accident. An old friend of Gilchrist who happened to witness the crash without knowing it was Gilchrist at the time, was so disturbed that he investigated the situation after the scene was cleared and said the nearest signs warning of "uneven pavement" were 1.5 miles from the crash site. The height difference between the new pavement and the adjoining pavement measures almost 3 inches, he said."

Lesson here: Construction zones are killers and expect very poor road conditions.

Here's the video:
http://www.familybadge.org/(S(zgmt1a...menugroup=Home

"“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #14 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Until you have road 10 to 15 years without a helmet and road weeks with your brothers bar hopping halfway across the us and back you ain't lived!!!!!

Lots of of people are scared of their bikes without full armor from king Arthur's day,,

Riding on the very edge of of eternity when your young is better than drugs... try one time set the throttle at 100 MPH on a fairly straight 2 lane highway, Put the front tire on the white stripes and stay on the line for 15 miles,,, Pure Nirvana,, till you do you will never know what life is all about being between 2 cars going in opposite directions and you in the middle,,,makes me want my chopper back.........Pete

Ok, just did that in a jockstrap and fire helmet. What's next?
post #15 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 1:44 am

Quote:
In Michigan ... We have what's called "Catastrophic Claims" premiums added to our motor vehicle insurance rates for big dollar ongoing medical care for vehicle accidents.
Unless an unhelmeted rider buys the farm, we're all stuck paying for the almost organ donor.
My latest insurance bill shows I'm paying $105.00 per vehicle per year into the MCCA fund. Multiply that times 4 vehicles.

Also, I have my old helmet for 'show and tell' resembling the one in the link posted above by Michael that seems to convince anyone I show it to that full face is the way to go. I had a closed-head injury because of the severity from the crash but still have my chin!

Rick
'05 LT
'01 LT (for parts)

post #16 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 10:35 am

When I see people riding without helmet and other gear I refer to the as JMA, Junior Motorcyclists of America. I do that because I don't think they are serious bikers. I don't think anyone who rides seriously would dress that way. But it's their choice and I am all for freedom of choice. Don't believe in helmet laws, seat belt laws, drug laws. Don't think the government has any business telling us what we should wear or not wear, smoke or not smoke, etc. It's simply not their business and we would all be better off if they would stop trying to govern our daily activities and stuck to trying to run a decent postal service and helping the world be a safer more congenial place...and maybe creating some better trade agreements.
I don't use drugs, I do wear ATGATT, but I don't need the government to tell me to do that. If others make other choices re drugs and gear, that's their business, not mine and certainly not the business of the state, local, or federal government.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #17 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 1:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

While I'm now an ATGATT person I wasn't always one. However I still believe in freedom of choice and free enterprise. I became ATGATT in stages. Losing a cousin to a motorcycle accident due to head trauma when no other serious injuries were present, convinced me to make the choice of a full face helmet. A friend who got road rash (arm shoulder & back) got me wearing a jacket and gloves (in those days it was leather or denim and there was no body armor). Having another cousin (little brother of the one who died) spend hours picking gravel out of his posterior and legs got me wearing only long heavy pants and boots (again only leather or heavy cloth were available). About 10 - 15 years ago I started wearing full clothing with body armor.

On the side of free enterprise, don't need Nanny State laws ( I oppose mandatory seat belt laws although I always wear one when caging). The insurance companies could easily make the choice crystal clear and reduce their exposure. If you don't wear a helmet, your insurance doesn't cover head trauma, if you don't wear protective clothing, your insurance doesn't cover body injuries, if your caging and crash, all occupants not wearing seat belts are not covered for personal injuries. That would allow freedom of choice and make free enterprise the beneficiary. Reward due diligence, and let folks be responsible for the consequences of their own actions.

I believe that freedom of choice demands personal responsibility, not bleeding hearts crying "somebody should have made me do the right thing."

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #18 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
Ron, what are the graphics supposed to represent? A study of damage to the left and right side of helmets based on the percentage of the total sample that incurred damage in those locations? Who did the study, what was the sample size, and most importantly, what was the relative severity in each area and why are modular or flip-ups excluded from your stamp of approval?
"The diagrams (below) show the impact areas on crash-involved motorcycle helmets. (Source: Dietmar Otte, Hannover Medical University, Dept. of Traffic Accident Research, Germany.) Note that 35% of all crashes showed major impact on the chin-bar area. This means that if you ride with an open-face helmet, you are accepting only 65% of the protection that could be available to your head.

If you ride with a shorty or half helmet, you are accepting only 39% of the protection you could obtain. You are literally throwing away 61% of the protection you would have had had you chosen a full-face helmet."

I hit a deer when I was 19 on my H1 500 and landed on my face at 55mph. It knocked me out but I survived with a minor concussion and some road rash. I literally could not walk for a couple of days - it felt like someone beat me with a hose filled with lead shot. I was wearing a leather jacket, jeans, steel toe leather work boots, leather work gloves and a Bell Star full face helmet - the very FIRST one on the market. I bought it solely for the "cool" factor since it was featured in a Kawasaki "tri star" ad. My helmet looked exactly like the one Jeff has on his web site and pictured below. If I had that same accident today at 55 it would probably kill me - helmet or not.

I've never seen a study regarding the effectiveness of flip up helmets versus solid one piece, but my gut feeling is that they are not even in the ballpark regarding strength. Many of the latching mechanisms are a joke. I think we'll probably see really stout flip ups in the future with reinforcing carbon fiber rods, plates, etc. but then the penalty is always weight and complexity...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	helmet-impact.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	23433   Click image for larger version

Name:	helmet crash.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	23434   Click image for larger version

Name:	kawi wheelie.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	23435  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 14th, 2009 at 1:54 pm.
post #19 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
The insurance companies could easily make the choice crystal clear and reduce their exposure. If you don't wear a helmet, your insurance doesn't cover head trauma, if you don't wear protective clothing, your insurance doesn't cover body injuries, if your caging and crash, all occupants not wearing seat belts are not covered for personal injuries. That would allow freedom of choice and make free enterprise the beneficiary. Reward due diligence, and let folks be responsible for the consequences of their own actions.

I believe that freedom of choice demands personal responsibility, not bleeding hearts crying "somebody should have made me do the right thing."
Excellent ideas.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #20 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 3:19 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
The "Unhelmeted"

Quote:
....Mandatory seat belt laws but no mandatory helmet laws?
Yes, perniculous, you just swerved into something, here. You need proper eye protection to see. What good does a helmet do if you're blind? I think we need mandatory windshields and eye protection laws, also! Well, in their defense, the Marxists HAVE been a little busy lately!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #21 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Ok, just did that in a jockstrap and fire helmet. What's next?

You wimp!!!! Why the jock strap????
post #22 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2009, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
While I'm now an ATGATT person I wasn't always one. However I still believe in freedom of choice and free enterprise. I became ATGATT in stages. Losing a cousin to a motorcycle accident due to head trauma when no other serious injuries were present, convinced me to make the choice of a full face helmet. A friend who got road rash (arm shoulder & back) got me wearing a jacket and gloves (in those days it was leather or denim and there was no body armor). Having another cousin (little brother of the one who died) spend hours picking gravel out of his posterior and legs got me wearing only long heavy pants and boots (again only leather or heavy cloth were available). About 10 - 15 years ago I started wearing full clothing with body armor.

On the side of free enterprise, don't need Nanny State laws ( I oppose mandatory seat belt laws although I always wear one when caging). The insurance companies could easily make the choice crystal clear and reduce their exposure. If you don't wear a helmet, your insurance doesn't cover head trauma, if you don't wear protective clothing, your insurance doesn't cover body injuries, if your caging and crash, all occupants not wearing seat belts are not covered for personal injuries. That would allow freedom of choice and make free enterprise the beneficiary. Reward due diligence, and let folks be responsible for the consequences of their own actions.

+1 on that idea.

Update: Made it to Rapid City tonight. Saw plenty of H-D's and Goldwings, a fair amount of V-Stars, and zero Zip NADA BMW's in 10 hrs of driving!
post #23 of 42 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:19 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
The jock strap can always double as a "neck tie" should things REALLY go to shit!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #24 of 42 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Some "things" are worth protecting!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #25 of 42 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 6:35 pm

I live in a state with no helmet law (for over 18), no seatbelt law (again, for over 18). I do not believe in helmet or seatbelt laws. I do however always wear a helmet, and always use my seat belt. I have not always been this way. In my younger days, jeans, boots and a t-shirt were good enough.

This week is "bike week" here in New Hampshire. We literally have a couple hundred thousand extra bikes in the area this week, we have already had a bunch of accidents. Mostly the v-twin/loud pipes crowd. We usually have a few die during this week every year.

The majority of riders around here fall into one of two catagories. Either all leather from neck to toe and no helmet, normally on a v-twin, and the sport bikes riders in shorts, muscle shirts, sandles and a full face helmet - you also see this getup sans helmet, usually with a girl on the back dressed similarly. Don't really understand either one. Then there are the few that wear differring stages of gear.

As much as I don't like helmet laws, all the riders I see with little to no experience scare the doo wadding out of me. I see big harleys coming to a red light wobbling and duck footing as they stop, then drag their feet thirty feet as they get going. I see sport bike riders that can go like a bat out of hell in a straight line, but weave and wobble through corners and keep a line about as good as Obama keeps a campaign promise. Sometimes I think we should force the newbies to wear gear, but at the same time there is something to be said for natural selection.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #26 of 42 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 10:32 pm

I have always... ALWAYS... riden with my gear on.... except..... a few weeks ago .. .when I was having a moment... and I opted to ride naked.

Okay. I did wear clear safety glasses... and I was wearing steel toed boots.... but otherwise.. it was jeans, and an oxford shirt... was i going commando? Nah.. I'm retired now ... don't do commando....

I put the wind screen down... cranked up the tunes... and cruised the back roads in my area.. for about 20 minutes... it FELT AWESOME.. I loved every second of it...did I know the risk.. hell yeah... would I advocate it... it all depends... if I were to head out on the open road for a few hours...NOPE... but.. when I weighed the risks...I decided... it was a risk I was willing to take... and it was reasonable and prudent.

Life... presents itself with myriad choices.. most are laden with risks. When you know the facts.. and you weigh your knowledge and skills.. you make the choice that fits within your "budget".

Do I want big brother forcing my hand. No. It's my choice. Would I want an inexperienced rider taking that same risk... not really.

Not wearing eye protection on bike on the trail or on the road... is plain asinine, ignorant, and stupid.

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #27 of 42 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 5:47 pm

We do not really have too many laws, we have too many morons. Sadly, when a helmetless moron lays in intensive care for a month, it cost money. I suspect that my insurance bill, hospital bill all reflect the nonsensical view that morons have the right to make their own decisions based on their asocial worldview.
post #28 of 42 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 8:18 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

The "Unhelmeted"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
We do not really have too many laws, we have too many morons. Sadly, when a helmetless moron lays in intensive care for a month, it cost money. I suspect that my insurance bill, hospital bill all reflect the nonsensical view that morons have the right to make their own decisions based on their asocial worldview.
Yes! That's why Amerika is unlike any other place in the world......That "moron" generally has the freedom to be a moron ANY time he chooses. The price of said freedom ONLY being blood!

post #29 of 42 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleeplessknight
I have always... ALWAYS... riden with my gear on.... except..... a few weeks ago .. .when I was having a moment... and I opted to ride naked.

Okay. I did wear clear safety glasses... and I was wearing steel toed boots.... but otherwise.. it was jeans, and an oxford shirt... was i going commando? Nah.. I'm retired now ... don't do commando....

I put the wind screen down... cranked up the tunes... and cruised the back roads in my area.. for about 20 minutes... it FELT AWESOME.. I loved every second of it...did I know the risk.. hell yeah... would I advocate it... it all depends... if I were to head out on the open road for a few hours...NOPE... but.. when I weighed the risks...I decided... it was a risk I was willing to take... and it was reasonable and prudent.

Life... presents itself with myriad choices.. most are laden with risks. When you know the facts.. and you weigh your knowledge and skills.. you make the choice that fits within your "budget".

Do I want big brother forcing my hand. No. It's my choice. Would I want an inexperienced rider taking that same risk... not really.

Not wearing eye protection on bike on the trail or on the road... is plain asinine, ignorant, and stupid.
You may want to reconsider your "reasonable and prudent" assessment of risk by taking your local ride sans protective gear:

If you are going to be involved in an accident, chances are it will happen close to your home. Progressive Insurance polled 11,000 of its policyholders who experienced accidents in 2001. They found that 52% were involved in accidents within five miles from there home and 69% were involved in accidents within ten miles from their home. Only 17% of those polled experienced accidents beyond twenty miles from his or her home (Strillacci, 2002).

As an aside - I do it a couple of times a year.

Very liberating.

If I buy it at least it will be doing something that I am passionate about. So many die every day with lives that are just plain - boring. Carpe diem. Life is indeed short and pretty much sucks.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #30 of 42 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 3:07 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
.....If I buy it at least it will be doing something that I am passionate about. So many die every day with lives that are just plain - boring.....
Yeah! There is something to be said about going tits up with a HUGE shit eating grin on your face. Kind of like Steve Fossett.....right into the side of a mountain at 11k feet! Living life to the max to the very last second....

post #31 of 42 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Bet Steve would have rather landed and taken off again, but who knows.

IL, BTW, does require Eye protection for all. But I do see quite a few with nothing and I do wonder how their eyes take the beating. We have quite a few bugs out their this time of year, and IL, the other time of year is Winter.

I do ATGATT myself. Even low speed accidents and KLT tip-overs risk a nasty knock on the pavement.

I doubt that gun registrations have ever stopped legal or illegal use of firearms. I doubt helmet laws will ever stop the sale of motorcycles. Most of this is marketed paranoia.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #32 of 42 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Yes! That's why Amerika is unlike any other place in the world......That "moron" generally has the freedom to be a moron ANY time he chooses. The price of said freedom ONLY being blood!

Blah/blah/blah and yada/yada/yada
post #33 of 42 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 7:01 pm

I being a Enduro rider (off-road time keeping events) always wear my helmet. I have learned great many lessons with having my helmet on that I could have been dead otherwise. (in my 12 years of racing i have cracked 2 helmets and split one in 2 pieces ) So it doesn't make sense to me why anyone would ride with out one. (not that I am ok with trying to force someone to do so, it should be their choice)
post #34 of 42 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Sorry to disagree with you but in Illinois glasses are not required for the driver if the bike is equiped with a windshield.
Not that I think people can see without protection on, just the way the law reads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
Bet Steve would have rather landed and taken off again, but who knows.

IL, BTW, does require Eye protection for all. But I do see quite a few with nothing and I do wonder how their eyes take the beating. We have quite a few bugs out their this time of year, and IL, the other time of year is Winter.

I do ATGATT myself. Even low speed accidents and KLT tip-overs risk a nasty knock on the pavement.

I doubt that gun registrations have ever stopped legal or illegal use of firearms. I doubt helmet laws will ever stop the sale of motorcycles. Most of this is marketed paranoia.

post #35 of 42 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 8:21 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Blah/blah/blah and yada/yada/yada
No, no, no! It's blah, blah, yada, yada, blah-yada! Sheesh!!

post #36 of 42 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 9:10 am

I stand directed.
post #37 of 42 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Can we put that to music and put it on "American Grand Stand" you might know it as Capitol Hill.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #38 of 42 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:15 am

Quote:
And then there's the "redneck" version

blah, blah, yada, yada, blah-yada!
watch this Bubba!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #39 of 42 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:23 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
I stand directed.
Quote:
Can we put that to music and put it on "American Grand Stand" you might know it as Capitol Hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
And then there's the "redneck" version

blah, blah, yada, yada, blah-yada!
watch this Bubba!
I pronounce this hijack "official!"

post #40 of 42 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 12:31 pm

To quote the great American philosopher: "Your a regaler riot Alice."
post #41 of 42 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 6:33 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
To quote the great American philosopher: "Your a regaler riot Alice."
What you mean, is: "One of these days, Alice, POW, right to the F'G moon!"

post #42 of 42 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 10:33 am

Quote:
I pronounce this hijack "official!"
having a little fun sure beats another helmet thread!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in