Roadside Assistance: Which One? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 26th, 2009, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

Roadside Assistance: Which One?

There seems to be many roadside assistance programs out there. Some are specifically targeted towards BMW bikes, others more general. What do you recommend for my new-to-me 2007 R12RT, and have you had any good or bad experiences with any of them? Hopefully nobody on this forum ever needed roadside assistance!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 27th, 2009, 3:06 am

Re: Roadside Assistance: Which One?

BMWOA offers one as well as AMA. BMWOA would have quickly refunded the tow (for my car) but, alas, my membership had expired. The BMWOA membership also offers the Anonymous Book that has phone numbers to call (members) that may offer assistance, coffee and conversation, etc.. A neat package for a few bucks.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #3 of 14 Old May 27th, 2009, 6:30 am

AAA worked really well for me. Used them three times. Always pretty quick to get there, and always got a call later from AAA to be sure everything was OK.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 14 Old May 27th, 2009, 6:31 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Berry,
Being in the business of "Road Side assistance" I can tell you there are many to chose from. A little inside note, most insurance companies NO NOT provide there own road side. They contract it out to companies that then sub contract it on a local bases. Road America in a VERY good contractor, Good Sam, Harley Owners Group, and some factory motorcycle warranty is covered by Road America. I would just check to see who your insurance uses. PM me if you want any more info.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 14 Old May 27th, 2009, 7:56 am

I have a policy offered by Allstate that I originally purchased through Good Sam Club. I have no other insurance with Allstate. I've unfortunately had to call them about 5 times over the last 3 or so years. 2 X for the RV, 2 X for bike problems, and 1 X for the car. For about $90 per year they cover all my vehicles, 1 pick up, 1 car, 2 bikes, and the 5th wheel in addition to any other vehicle that i happen to be riding in. The service has always been prompt and never any question about a destination when a tow was required. The policy says they will tow to the nearest authorized dealer. When I first subscribed I called and explained that I ride BMW motorcycles and that if I have a break down it could be 300 miles or more to a dealer. The immediate response was, "That's not a problem". Fortunately I haven't had to test that option!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old May 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

I also have Good Sam after looking at the fine print of other services...
Many will only tow 25 or 50 miles....and here in the West, that's not much......
Some will only tow to "nearest point of safety."
Good Sam also provided me, in writing, that they would tow me to the nearest BMW motorcycle dealer "capable of doing repairs" even if it was 1,000 miles.
Knock wood, never had to use it.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 19th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Questions have come up in the past about Progressive's Roadside Assistance. I want to report that this free service to touring bikes came through when it counted.

On my way to Johnson City for the rally, I picked up a nail and blew out my rear tire. Progressive's response was to allow me to use a nearby mechanic (the middle of nowhere) and submit the bill for towing. Check arrived in the mail in three weeks.
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
Questions have come up in the past about Progressive's Roadside Assistance. I want to report that this free service to touring bikes came through when it counted.

On my way to Johnson City for the rally, I picked up a nail and blew out my rear tire. Progressive's response was to allow me to use a nearby mechanic (the middle of nowhere) and submit the bill for towing. Check arrived in the mail in three weeks.
Not sure if it's still the same, however the problem with the "FREE" roadside assistance from Progressive used to be the 50 mile limit. With BMW's dealer network (or lack thereof)that's a problem.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #9 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 9:39 am

I just bought and used AMA which is free with membership tp the AMA and covers all vehicles and people in your family. Just used it for the BMW with good results.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 10:13 am

Garage

I've had to use the Progressive RA three times now and have received GREAT response each time.

If I remember correctly, it's a bargain at something like 8 bucks a year with my motorcycle insurance coverage.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #11 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 3:02 pm

As others have said, be sure to check on how far a service will tow you, and if they will take you to the nearest authorized BMW motorcycle dealer or just to the nearest brand-X bike shop. I also have an RV, so Good Sams it is - unlimited mileage tow to the nearest authorized BMW cycle dealer. Also covers the RV and all 4-wheelers in the family. Cost of this service may be an issue for you - $109 or $119 per year (don't remember which).

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

Last edited by bob_menton; Sep 20th, 2009 at 3:06 pm. Reason: correct grammar
post #12 of 14 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 9:12 pm

My preferance is always to go to an independent mechanic who is able to accomplish the work. Most roadside needs are a cinch for a decent V-twin wrench.
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:43 am

Minor thread hijack, here. Has anyone had any experience with BMW Roadside Assistance ? I just had my '07 RT break down twice in five days, hundreds of miles from home. Quite an ordeal just to get home and my bike is still hundreds of miles away at Velocity Cycles (An authorized BMW dealer) in Mechanicsburg, PA. I have submitted my claims but I just don't trust these organizations so I'm preparing for, "We're sorry Mr. Simpson, but you are not covered for....."

Also, anyone have any experience with Velocity Cycles in Mechanicsburg, PA ? My initial feeling was that they were good guys, but, now I'm not so sure......

Roy
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 3:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I recently had the need for a towing service and I though others could benefit from this rarely used feature. We all think about it and hope that we do not use it. As I thought I had three services, I was covered was my mantra....Not the case. Luckily for me, this "need" occurred on the way to work and I was able to baby it all the way off the freeway and on to work. No stranded miles from home on a rainy night...

The process started at 1530, another 4 hours and two trucks later I was home with my suffering scooter, a whopping 20 miles away! First call made was to BMWMOA- fairly quick response and they contacted a local service who dispatched a truck. Quality towing (sacramento) was not up to their name to say the least. THe initial wait time was the inevitable 30-45 min. this passes and I call directly. "Sorry, I had to dispatch another truck" was the comment and another 30-45 min claim was made. The truck finally arrived 90 minutes later. The driver seems to suffer from the common "short man" complex. (I'm 6'5) Starting off on the wrong foot, his truck bed was covered with oil and transmission fluid (I just put new tires on) I looked at it and thought there was a sweet spot up the middle I should be able to ride and with liberal amounts of dry sweep we should be good. I then asked if he had ever strapped this type of bike? "Its a bike, I've done thousands" he said. I walked him around the bike and noted where the bike needs to be strapped properly and to my surprise my comments were met with "Its my truck, I'll strap it how I want to" The short version he was sent on his way.....NEXT contestant, please....! I called MOA to get them looking for another service and told them to call me back when they get it settled as I did not want to wait on hold for ever again.
Then I called AAA, I have heard stories, but confirmed it. Unless you have MC insurance with them they will not offer towing.
Last resort was to my insurance co. Foremost (Farmers) After a growlingly slow conversation with the CSR, she returned stating that confirmation of my policy could not be done because my agent was closed for the evening. They could call a service but I would have to pay and submit a claim. No worries, but if that was the case I will call my own service....
MOA called and the towing service they sent I knew of professionally. (Sierra Hart) The driver arrived and was every bit concerned about doing the job correctly & damage free. very good service...

Lesson learned? You may think you are covered in any event, but until you use it you will not know what you are going to get in the end...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in