post crash. state farm, and the attitude... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 26th, 2009, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation post crash. state farm, and the attitude...

State Farm told me that an adjuster would be at the dealership Tuseday morning. I was in an accident on Thursday, and they indicated that Friday was too soon.............. hmmmm

Ok, I waited all day, and they never showed up. Katie, the service manager, told me that he had called at 2:00PM, "on his way". Funny thing, he never showed up, and called at 4:45, and told her that her service tech would have to do the assessment, and that he would "show up in the afternoon to take pictures..." WTF?????

I know the bike is toast. The mechanic (who now has to do the insurance's job) knows it is toast. State Farm seems to be playing games, and has no idea how to proceed. The adjuster told the BMW service writer that SF did not provide and parts fiche's for the SF laptops.

and...he didnt know this fact when he scheduled the lookover of the accidentr???????????

what a bunch of wankers!

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 26th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Re: post crash. state farm, and the attitude...

My accident last year involved a deer strike at 70 mph, the bike layed over and did about 600 feet on her side before rolling and all on asphalt. My bike was a 2005 K1200LT. Over $13,000 damage... They fixed it... ?????????
Oh, I have State Farm as well..... They covered the helmet as well but not the jacket...etc...
I saw the pics you posted the other day... Glad you came out OK.........
Launchpad
post #3 of 20 Old May 26th, 2009, 6:58 pm

When I spoke to State Farm, they said they do not carry motorcycle insurance, unless you have complete coverage with them with everything else, (home, auto,and such). So I am not sure how they would decide a claim. Seems they could find someone to do it!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #4 of 20 Old May 26th, 2009, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launchpad
My accident last year involved a deer strike at 70 mph, the bike layed over and did about 600 feet on her side before rolling and all on asphalt. My bike was a 2005 K1200LT. Over $13,000 damage... They fixed it... ?????????
Oh, I have State Farm as well..... They covered the helmet as well but not the jacket...etc...
I saw the pics you posted the other day... Glad you came out OK.........
Launchpad

They FIXED it?? no way!

i have 71k on this, great shape, but the tupperware is all twisty on the frame, and everything is loose.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #5 of 20 Old May 26th, 2009, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
When I spoke to State Farm, they said they do not carry motorcycle insurance, unless you have complete coverage with them with everything else, (home, auto,and such). So I am not sure how they would decide a claim. Seems they could find someone to do it!

hmmmm, i do have my avalanche, and home fully covered as well. I did have SF for insurance when all I had was a motorcycle though. (30+ years ago...)

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #6 of 20 Old May 26th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Been with State farm for over 30 years having them insure most every thing I own that requires or desires insurance coverage, get a LOT of price breaks too !!

But when I inquired @ 5 years ago when purchasing my LT, there motorcycle coverage was REALLY EXPENSIVE and did not reflect discounts of being a multi policy holder.

So my impression was State Farm really had No Desire to insure motor cycles and only offers it to policy holders as some sort of gratis offering ... No thanks.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #7 of 20 Old May 26th, 2009, 10:58 pm

I was once a State Farm claim rep and I know that how they handle bikes depends a lot on the person that is sent out. They really aren't interested in writing coverage on bikes and it shows in how they underwrite them. All your agent will ask is how big is the engine and does the bike have a turbo, that's it. For a K1200 you pay the same as a 21 year old single male on a 1200 Ninja. We have both our bikes with Progressive and we pay less for both than we would for one with SF and we are 30 year policy holders. It's easy to not be competitive for business that you don't really want.
post #8 of 20 Old May 26th, 2009, 11:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Oh.. It's a BMW MOTORCYCLE!!!!! uh... I didn't know BMW made MOTORCYCLES!!!

You're sure it's a BMW? Oh....

Good luck!!!
post #9 of 20 Old May 27th, 2009, 6:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
They FIXED it?? no way!
----------------------
When the pickup swerved into my 2001 LT, Allstate had the dealer repair it. Dealer was very surprised. It was over $16,000!

The adjuster at first visit had estimated less, but the dealer got the fairings off and discovered the broken frame tabs, called the adjuster back out to get it totaled. The adjuster looked at all the parts off the bike, said "put a new frame on it".

It sure looked sad on the lift, nothing but the engine/transmission assembly, and the rear sub frame with side cases hanging on straps from above with nothing but wiring between them and the engine assembly. That was all that was there.

They did a great job on it though. It was like a new bike when they finished.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 20 Old May 27th, 2009, 7:25 am

A few years ago when I got back into motorcycling after a too long hiatus I called my State Farm Agent who we have our autos, homeowners and life insurance with. She came right out and told me to look elsewhere to insure the bike I was contemplating. She told me that State Farm really doesn't want to insure motorcycles and that it would show in the premium. BTW she still has the policies on the autos, homeowners and life because of her blunt honesty.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #11 of 20 Old May 27th, 2009, 8:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Both cars, house and both bikes insured w/ State Farm.....
Discount on all.................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #12 of 20 Old May 27th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

When I was a service manager I always charged the insurance companies 2 hours of shop time to assess the bike and submit the repair estimate, itemized parts #'s/prices and labor charges included(unless I was positive the bike would be totalled.) Progressive never batted an eye at the charges and were most appreciative of the effort. State Farm refused to pay so the cost was passed on to the customer- some of which were not too happy about that. With a full faring bike 3 hours was a more accurate time charge- especially when you actually get into pulling pieces off and finding hidden damage.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #13 of 20 Old May 27th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
A few years ago when I got back into motorcycling after a too long hiatus I called my State Farm Agent who we have our autos, homeowners and life insurance with. She came right out and told me to look elsewhere to insure the bike I was contemplating. She told me that State Farm really doesn't want to insure motorcycles and that it would show in the premium. BTW she still has the policies on the autos, homeowners and life because of her blunt honesty.
Same with my agent here in CA. I then had to change coverages though; State Farm wouldn't write my umbrella policy, because the bike wasn't insured by them!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #14 of 20 Old May 27th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
hmmmm, i do have my avalanche, and home fully covered as well. I did have SF for insurance when all I had was a motorcycle though. (30+ years ago...)

I have an avalanche too, you on the chevyavalanchefanclub.com site? I am Prime Power on there and sell the upgraded instrument clusters.

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army
post #15 of 20 Old May 28th, 2009, 10:11 pm

I have had multiple claims over the last 12 years with Progressive and they are the best. Always paid quickly and fairly and when the were low on the last one...I found they had the wrong model listed and they sent me an extra $1200.00 that they owed.

They didn't even raise me last year after two claims, one that was a totaled R1200Gs (07) after 3 days of ownership.

Ron
post #16 of 20 Old May 29th, 2009, 9:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

It must vary from State to State. I had SF for 30+ years but they wouldn't insure bikes here in Tejas. Had Progressive for years,no claims but great at working coverage and saving me $$$. When I got the LT my neighbor the Farmers Agent came over and said "we have an agreement with Foremost and I think I can save you money." Bottom line is he now has everything because can cover all my insurance needs and saved me a couple hundred a year. Not a huge savings, but every little bit helps and I only have to deal with one agent. No MC claims but have had one car and a new roof due to hail and Farmers was terrific. Could be that having the agent across the street validates my hail claim.

BTW SF never treated me badly, just couldn't handle everything and that, plus savings led me to Farmers.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #17 of 20 Old May 30th, 2009, 7:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

There seems to be no consistency! We have had State Farm on everything for about 20+ years in Florida and never a "premium" problem! House, 2 cars, bikes, Umbrella, etc...... Never a claim and always eager for the business.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 20 Old May 30th, 2009, 9:31 am

I to have had State Farm insure all my possessions...2 cars -1 bike - home and have had great service. The premium on the bike has been beaten by one other company but the offset of the that didn't justify the switch.

The agent isn't hard on the eyes either .

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #19 of 20 Old May 30th, 2009, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberBiker
I to have had State Farm insure all my possessions...2 cars -1 bike - home and have had great service. The premium on the bike has been beaten by one other company but the offset of the that didn't justify the switch.

The agent isn't hard on the eyes either .
Do I need to tell Laurie about this post?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #20 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 6:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Do I need to tell Laurie about this post?
You can...she's met her... How ya doin Steve?

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in