Mandatory M/C Emission Testing in Nazifornia - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2009, 1:23 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs down Mandatory M/C Emission Testing in Nazifornia

From the AMA Website:
California Senate Bill 435 (Pavley, 23rd District, D), if adopted as written, would mandate all model year 2000 and newer motorcycles be smog tested biannually. The smog test would be required despite the lack of any evidence that motorcycles are a significant source of mobile emissions statewide.

The only two counties to ever smog test motorcycles nationwide, Pima and Maricopa in Arizona, have already shown that motorcycle testing leads to no significant reduction in measured emissions levels. Pima County has already dropped their testing program and Maricopa is awaiting EPA’s approval to do the same.

Click on this URL to take action now
http://capwiz.com/amacycle/utr/2/?a=...&i=90895006&c=

Rediculous but hey it's California!

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>

Last edited by Lopaca; May 22nd, 2009 at 1:25 pm. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2009, 2:30 pm

Re: Mandatory M/C Emission Testing in Nazifornia

I think they're aiming for few things:

1. Revenue generation. $24 billion in the hole, expect them to tax everything.

2. Killing loud pipes. If you have to smog your bike, you're less apt to think the 2-3 HP gain in a range you never ride in is worth the hassle of changing the exhaust out.

3. Pleasing the Greenies. Yep, we're gonna be green, no matter what the cost is.

I hope they include lawnmowers and leaf blowers in the smog testing requirement. Then maybe we'll stop wasting water irrigating all of the non-native species here in the desert and actually be environmentnally responsible.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #3 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2009, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
Ilawn mowers and leaf blowers in the smog testing requirement. Then maybe we'll stop wasting water irrigating all of the non-native species here in the desert and actually be environmentnally responsible.
but what about all them holleywood types.. whose gonna landscape the yards?

Oh my

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old May 23rd, 2009, 1:21 pm

Garage

Doesn't suprise me one bit. It's a way of generating revenue and making it look like they are doing something good. I'm an emission inspector for cars here in PA. The IM program is one of the biggest rip offs going. $40 to get your sticker. Very few cars fail. The ones that do have the check engine light on. Why not just make people get the CEL fixed before they get a safety inspection sticker? Because the state makes no money that way. Testing motorcycles is just an untapped source or revenue.
post #5 of 7 Old May 23rd, 2009, 3:08 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1200rtc1
Doesn't suprise me one bit. It's a way of generating revenue and making it look like they are doing something good. I'm an emission inspector for cars here in PA. The IM program is one of the biggest rip offs going. Testing motorcycles is just an untapped source or revenue.

Why do we let this happen? Or are we really as powerless as it seems?

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #6 of 7 Old May 24th, 2009, 10:05 am

It seems to be a $ grab if they are going to start at year mod 2000 . What is the inspection going to consist of ? just a "look see" and hand over the $ ?
But if they make new bikes OBDII compliant we will be able to use a laptop , software and a cable to trouble shoot the engine problems at home . There will also be a check engine light on the pannel . I would wecome that .

Bob G
CA resident from 1956-1995, I am visiting "The hotbed of gun control " right now
post #7 of 7 Old May 24th, 2009, 11:10 am

I used to have to have my '69 Harley FLH tested every year. It failed for the first few years and I would get a waiver. An estimate for an S&S Carb would do the trick. They actually put me and the bike on the rollers one year and had me riding it at 30 MPH in place. That seemed a bit sketchy. I had straight pipes on that thing for a while and no one ever blinked an eye. I finally figured out it would pass if I turned the idle up the about 1400 RPM. I would pull into the parking lot and pull out a screwdriver, tweak the Carb, take the test and then pull over just outside the testing line and readjust. Seemed really silly.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in