Road Service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 12th, 2009, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Road Service

It's time to renew my AAA membership and I wonder if it is worth paying the extra for the RV coverage that I need to cover a bike. It doesn't seem fair that they are going to charge me the same to tow a bike as they would an RV. All that wouldn't be bad if the service works. I went with AAA as I use it for my cages also and I figured they would have more people they contract with, so it would be easier to get service. I've never had to use it for my bike, knock on wood, so I don't know how good it would be. The same goes for the coverage I have through Progressive and also through AMA. I figured the more options I have, the better. There are so many variables in trying to find the best one. How far do they tow, are they experienced in handling bikes, especially BMWs, and how close are they. Posters have recommended Good Sam RV and KOA, but they seem that they are geared towards RVs and I don't know how widespread their coverage is. Who's going to come get you when you are in the middle of nowhere out west and where are they going to take you? If they are just going to tow you to your local goober who doesn't know anything about BMWs or have parts, what good is that going to do you? If they have a mileage limit, it may cost you big time to get to somewhere where they can work on your bike. So taking all these things in to account, which organization provides the best service and has the widest area of coverage?

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 12th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Re: Road Service

All I can relate is my experience. I had a flat tire on a tube type bike last year and it was going to take progressive about 3 hours to get to me; but I said ok. I called back about 2 hours later for an update and they had lost all of my info and(they said) couldn't call me back to tell me the tow truck cancelled and they couldn't help me at all.

I called AAA (RV Plus) and they had a truck with trailer and motorcycle chock there in less than 45 minutes. It was worth it to me.

After the event I called Progressive Home Office and really let fly. Their comment was "sorry, sometimes that happens". I still have them for insurance; but don't rely upon them for towing.
post #3 of 8 Old May 12th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Good Sams can get you service anywhere. The tow truck drivers love them because they pay up quickly. And something the other services may not provide - they will tow your bike ANY DISTANCE to the nearest authorized BMW motorcycle dealer.

Not cheep at $119 per year, but when you also have an RV, it's worth it.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

post #4 of 8 Old May 12th, 2009, 8:22 pm

KOA has the same deal as Sams. Unlimited towing to nearest certified dealer.....

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #5 of 8 Old May 12th, 2009, 8:33 pm

I used AAA for my LT three times, all pretty quick service. At the time, it was only $26/year additional, so it was well worth it. Also, they called me back about half hour after each service to see if everything went as planned. If I had a bike now, I would also have the additional AAA coverage.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 8 Old May 13th, 2009, 6:33 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
It's time to renew my AAA membership and I wonder if it is worth paying the extra for the RV coverage that I need to cover a bike. It doesn't seem fair that they are going to charge me the same to tow a bike as they would an RV. All that wouldn't be bad if the service works. I went with AAA as I use it for my cages also and I figured they would have more people they contract with, so it would be easier to get service. I've never had to use it for my bike, knock on wood, so I don't know how good it would be. The same goes for the coverage I have through Progressive and also through AMA. I figured the more options I have, the better. There are so many variables in trying to find the best one. How far do they tow, are they experienced in handling bikes, especially BMWs, and how close are they. Posters have recommended Good Sam RV and KOA, but they seem that they are geared towards RVs and I don't know how widespread their coverage is. Who's going to come get you when you are in the middle of nowhere out west and where are they going to take you? If they are just going to tow you to your local goober who doesn't know anything about BMWs or have parts, what good is that going to do you? If they have a mileage limit, it may cost you big time to get to somewhere where they can work on your bike. So taking all these things in to account, which organization provides the best service and has the widest area of coverage?
Tony as an Owner of a Motorcycle towing company I can tell you from experience that MOST tow services HAVE NO IDEA how to tow a motorcycle. Also most Insurance companies DO NOT provide the road side services them selves. They contract it out to Independent Service provides such at my company.

They (road side dispatch) will call who ever is closest to the zip code that the bike is in. I few weeks ago I got a call from a previous customer asking if I could come get his dead bike. It was a 09 BMW HP2 , he had called his roadside and was told 1 1/2 hours to get him. After waiting 3 hours he called me. I was there in 45 minutes & loaded the bike when the FLAT BED wrecker showed up. I asked the driver if he ever picked up a bike & if he knew how to tie one down. He answered NO , I was hoping the owner would know how to.

That being said I still recommend getting some kind of road side service. Good Sam uses Road America witch is one of the biggest and best for motorcycles as the also provide for HOG (Harley Owners Group) and other motorcycle factory warranty coverages

Also Ray .... Progressive uses the same company that BMW NA used. I will not say any names just that they are VERY slow to pay. There dispatch system needs a LOT of work. That is one reason why BMW NA has changed to Alstate roadside for warranty coverage.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; May 13th, 2009 at 6:42 am.
post #7 of 8 Old May 13th, 2009, 9:39 am

I crashed my GS about 3 weeks ago. It was totaled. I was about 150 miles from home. AAA paid to take it 100 miles. The tow company was located about 30 miles away, but they had someone there in less than 1 hour. My Dairyland insurance also has tow coverage so it reimbursed me for the amount AAA didn't pay.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 8 Old May 13th, 2009, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Both the Good Sam and the KOA services seem like they would be good deals if they do all that has been claimed by members here. The trouble is that they do not even mention motorcycles on their web site. Also I would like to see something in writing that they will tow it to the nearest certified dealer, however far that may be. If I can see that, Good Sam seem like the way to go.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in