Neck Brace Saftey ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 8th, 2009, 9:45 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Neck Brace Saftey ?

I'm just wanting some opinions on wearing a neck brace when riding. I still have the one I used riding go-karts. When I ride 16 to 20 hour days when I'm tired sometimes I wish I had it on. I'm almost sure it would be a + in a rear end collision. I stopped at the Simpson & Impact store this week & tried on there neck braces. They are a lot more comfortable than my old one. The outer fabric is the same but the inner foam is cut different.

If I cut my foam like the new ones I'm sure mine will feel the same. They have more trim cuts on the inner side to conform to the neck. Anybody know what the negative would be to wearing one ?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil change 031.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	857.3 KB
ID:	22954  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 8th, 2009, 10:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Neck Brace Saftey ?

Not DOT certified?

Otherwise, it's your neck...
post #3 of 7 Old May 9th, 2009, 8:01 am

I wouls suggest you research what the motocross guys are wearing.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 7 Old May 9th, 2009, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
I'm just wanting some opinions on wearing a neck brace when riding. I still have the one I used riding go-karts. When I ride 16 to 20 hour days when I'm tired sometimes I wish I had it on. I'm almost sure it would be a + in a rear end collision. I stopped at the Simpson & Impact store this week & tried on there neck braces. They are a lot more comfortable than my old one. The outer fabric is the same but the inner foam is cut different.

If I cut my foam like the new ones I'm sure mine will feel the same. They have more trim cuts on the inner side to conform to the neck. Anybody know what the negative would be to wearing one ?.
I wore those in the past as well. Always felt the range of head turn was too limited. That is one reason why the road race guys have gone to an integrated support in the upper back of the leathers. Motorcycle racers actually started wearing neck braces more to protect from clavicle breaks when the helmet contacted the shoulder area during impact.

So, I would say the only real negative to wearing one on the street is a rider typically requires more range of movement from their head. Just checking traffic at an intersection could be a real chore.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 7 Old May 9th, 2009, 3:44 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
I wore those in the past as well. Always felt the range of head turn was too limited. That is one reason why the road race guys have gone to an integrated support in the upper back of the leathers. Motorcycle racers actually started wearing neck braces more to protect from clavicle breaks when the helmet contacted the shoulder area during impact.

So, I would say the only real negative to wearing one on the street is a rider typically requires more range of movement from their head. Just checking traffic at an intersection could be a real chore.
Thanks John I have limited neck movement already & the brace wouldn't have any effect. I was thinking more of using it on the highway when after a half a day or so when I'm not as alert and my neck hurts. I have had two neck injuries from water skiing wipe outs.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old May 9th, 2009, 8:27 pm

I've had problems with my neck from few accidents, both in cages and on the bike. PT to strengthen the neck helped me a lot.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2012, 1:03 pm

First post, I have rented a few bikes and think the RT is what I will purchase. Back to topic, I have ridden off road since 1968 and have never been without a bike or missed a season. When they first became available, my family and I began using the Leatt neck braces. If this is what you are referring to, they do not limit side to side movement at all (checking traffic). They are designed to limit your head from snapping too far back or forward. As far as comfort, I have never had any issue with the comfort, they are lightweight and fairly unobtrusive for me. I have never worn it on the street, but perhaps something to consider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in