Product Review - Turtlewax Ice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 5th, 2009, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Product Review - Turtlewax Ice

I saw the commercials, but wasn't sure if I'd believed the hype. A wax that you could basically slop on? Don't worry about getting it on the plastic? Don't worry about the white residue in the crevices? Even in bright hot sun? It's all true, according to the commercials, with the new Turtlewax Ice!!

But... the lazy side of me came out (if it really turned out to be so easy, it's a real win), so I plunked down my $17.00 for the container of liquid (paste also available), and gave it a try on the LT. Thie directions actually encourage you to slather it on plastic, so I did.

All of the plastic trim on my '01 LT looks brand new now, and the tupperware looks great; in short, Pepe shines like new. I am not a chemist (nor a classic car buff), but I would guess that there may have been a product out there somewhere that would work the same. Overall, very impressed.

It took literally 5 minutes to wax the entire LT, and it shimmers!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 6th, 2009, 6:05 am

Garage
Re: Product Review - Turtlewax Ice

Mustang owners like it. This link reviews the entire Turtle Ice product line.

But the same cannot be said by Volvospeed:

Rating: Turtle Wax Ice Polish is marketed as an easy to apply, all surface safe wax. In this review we tested all of its claims. Here is what we found:

Can be applied in direct [color=red ! important][color=red ! important]sun[/color][/color]: Yes, it did go on and come off fairly well in direct sun. It was however much harder to remove. The polish almost feels like it is abrasive when you are applying it.

All surface safe: The polish was applied to both trim and seals with no ill effect. This is a huge plus for this products over a more conventional wax which would leave a white residue.

Same shine less time: This is where the disappointment came. While the polish was easy to apply, the shine was not on par with other products.

From bottom to top the four waxes applied were: Ice, Nut Wax, Zymol Carbon, 6 week old Nut Wax.
Even in low resolution web images you can see that the Ice is not as glossy as the others, note the reflections.

Above you can see the only section not to bead up was the newly applied Ice section.

Volvospeed did like the Turtlewax ICE Wash and Clay Bar. They just weren't impressed by the shine and protection of the spray wax.

I google- do you?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #3 of 11 Old May 6th, 2009, 9:04 am Thread Starter

I'm glad I don't have a black LT! The shine on my Champagne color looks good. From what I have read, they claim that you have to put on several coats (typically over several weeks of use), and it will shine better each time.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-

post #4 of 11 Old May 6th, 2009, 5:55 pm

I have a 2003 lt which is Impala Brown and when I got back from Key West a couple of weeks ago gave the bike a good cleaning and applied some of the Turtle Wax Ice on it and you are right it goes on and wipes off with ease with good shine and doesn't take long at all.
post #5 of 11 Old May 7th, 2009, 6:14 am

Been using the clay bar and the polish for a while now on the cars and bikes. The clay bar is interesting as you don't wash the car/ bike as you regularly would. You rinse dirt off the vehicle, then rub the clay bar/ wash all over. It works ok, but I have done a real wash in between the TW Ice ClayBar cleanings on the cars, to get nasties off better (faster). Don't know if I'll use it after this bottle is gone.

The polish is not wax, it is polish. Therefore, it doesn't bead up as much as wax, nor does the beading that it does offer last that long. The nice part of it is it is easy to wipe on and off and doesn't leave wax build up residue. It's ok, not sure if I'll use it again after this bottle is gone.
post #6 of 11 Old May 7th, 2009, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
Been using the clay bar and the polish for a while now on the cars and bikes. The clay bar is interesting as you don't wash the car/ bike as you regularly would. You rinse dirt off the vehicle, then rub the clay bar/ wash all over. It works ok, but I have done a real wash in between the TW Ice ClayBar cleanings on the cars, to get nasties off better (faster). Don't know if I'll use it after this bottle is gone.

The polish is not wax, it is polish. Therefore, it doesn't bead up as much as wax, nor does the beading that it does offer last that long. The nice part of it is it is easy to wipe on and off and doesn't leave wax build up residue. It's ok, not sure if I'll use it again after this bottle is gone.
I'll be checking out the bottle, and then deciding if I like it. So far, only one treatment in. It is blazing fast though.

Has anyone used something else that is OK to get on plastic and trim, and doesn't leave white residue?

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 11 Old May 8th, 2009, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
I'll be checking out the bottle, and then deciding if I like it. So far, only one treatment in. It is blazing fast though.

Has anyone used something else that is OK to get on plastic and trim, and doesn't leave white residue?
I have a bottle of "Nu Finish" that is in a BRIGHT orange bottle. It does a really good job, it's cheap, and you can use it in sunlight. But if it touches the black seat or padding around the trunk...it's gonna leave a white spot.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #8 of 11 Old May 8th, 2009, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Bones. If it turns out that I don't like what Ice does, I'll give that a try. I have to keep the bike clean when pillion is aboard! lol

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 11 Old May 8th, 2009, 6:23 pm

I use Mothers back to black on the black trim and looks like new when done. May have to
try the turtle ice sometime.
post #10 of 11 Old May 8th, 2009, 8:54 pm

I have been using Ice and Clay Bar for some time now. REALLY like it! First time I have ever had something that goes on easy, wipes off easy, shines great, and can be used on plastic, rubber, etc. with no issue. Makes the whole car look good. Best thing for me is that it brings back the black look to the plastic trim, better than any trim restorer I have tried in the past, and it lasts!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2009, 7:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Eagle One Nanowax works well on plastic trim. It has a nice shine, too. I'm not sure about beading. Rain has been fairly scarce around here.............Have you ever tried Liquid Glass? Kept my cruiser looking good...................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in