Hip surgery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old May 1st, 2009, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Question Hip surgery

Has anyone currently riding an LT had hip replacement surgery?

I just had one done (left side) about a month ago and still am in the therapy process to get back into riding shape.

My question: were there any problems handling the LT in slow stop and go traffic as far as discomfort? Also has anyone picked one up with this condidtion?

It concerns me that the LT might be too heavy for me(also inseam challenged) in the long run. Also the fact that most of the lifting comes from the left side after refueling on the sidestand. Love the bike but more conerned about my hip..

Right now I'm planning on downsizing to a diifferent brand for a lower seat height so as to avoid undue strain on the hip..I did the operation so as to extend my riding life..Lots of work in the recovery process..I just sure as hell hope it's worth it..

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old May 1st, 2009, 2:14 pm

Re: Hip surgery

I used to ride an LT. I broke my hip due a snowmobile accident. While it didn't require replacement surgery, it still needed to be repaired surgically. After the rehab, I just couldn't feel comfortable on the big girl. I downsized to an RT and haven't looked back. However, all my riding is done one up. If this is the case for you, I would consider the RT. If the majority of your riding is two up, you, probably, should keep the LT unless you, physically, can't handle it anymore. Good luck with getting back in riding shape !

Roy
post #3 of 25 Old May 1st, 2009, 7:18 pm

royal
Had a new hip installed about 5 yrs ago in the summer, the next spring bought a new LT.
Would visit the dealer with a walker, they did not want to talk, then a cane brought some talk. Then wrote a check and they had it out in front of the store waiting for me.
First time on it, I when rode it home 50 mi. Then I found out about this form and issues.
Its layed down twice, I've used the back lift to upright with little problem. When doing the lift there is much more strain on the knees, it would concern me more with knee replacement.
You will be able to move your foot off the peg easily at stop lights. Do the work to get in shape and you will find its not a big deal.
We ride two up and had the same thoughts as you're having.

06 lt (13k)
Dennis

post #4 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys..

It's encouraging so I think I'll give it a try before making the drastic move to another bike.

Breaks my heart to see my LT just sitting there..

Ride safe..
post #5 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2009, 9:21 am

HI there!

I believe it should be no big deal -per se- to drive the LT after hip surgery. There are some TYPES (*) of movements you have to learn to avoid in order to prevent a luxation of your new hip, as this certainly will require a new surgery to have it fixed... My best advise is that you to talk about this with your doctor or physical therapist.
(*) ie: luxations can happen when patients get out of cars using the operated leg to give the first step.
Regards, Neurodoc

There's one way to find out if a man is honest - ask him. If he says, "Yes," you know he is a crook.
Groucho Marx
post #6 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2009, 8:18 pm

Had my right hip replaced three years ago last August, Now I Don't give it a second thought. I am 6' with inseam of 30-31. The very best to you....
little_jake
post #7 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:01 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Hip surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_jake
Had my right hip replaced three years ago last August, Now I Don't give it a second thought. I am 6' with inseam of 30-31. The very best to you....
little_jake
Thanks, Glenn..Very encouraging..and we're the same age so your reply is even more meaningful to me..Aloha, Roy
post #8 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:33 pm

My father inlaw who own's a 2000 LT is 73 yrs old and had his hip replaced. the only problem he has is getting the bike on its center stand. He also thanks GOD that this bike came with a reverse.
post #9 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2009, 1:03 pm

I didn't enjoy putting my bike on the center either, so what I have done is lay a scrap piece of 5/8 inch plywood on the floor where the rear tire ends up. then when I got off the bike it really leaned on the side stand, so I placed another littler piece of plywood (same size) where the side stand ends up. I always park the bike in the garage in the same spot. The reverse drives it onto the 5/8" very easly. I am sure thicker pieces would work, but I have found 1/2" to 5/8" works best for me.
little_jake
post #10 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2009, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

Fortunately I have a 2005 with the power center stand..
post #11 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2009, 8:50 pm

Guys, this is a great thread for me as well.. I spent most of last year unable to ride anything and especially my LT. But finally reached the point that I had the right hip replaced in March, I am working through the PT and hope to be riding again VERY SOON. The info that many others have been here and are now are back enjoying our machines is super !! Thanks for the good information.

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #12 of 25 Old May 4th, 2009, 10:39 am

Good topic.......however no one has mentioned age or general condition.
I had a hip replaced in 1994 when I was 37 years old. I recovered quickly and my hip/leg strength is good and I hardly notice it anymore (52 now). Riding the LT is no problem.
I would suggest that someone in their 60's or so really work on therapy and a strengthing program.
Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #13 of 25 Old May 4th, 2009, 11:18 am Thread Starter

Talking Re: Hip surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
Good topic.......however no one has mentioned age or general condition.
I had a hip replaced in 1994 when I was 37 years old. I recovered quickly and my hip/leg strength is good and I hardly notice it anymore (52 now). Riding the LT is no problem.
I would suggest that someone in their 60's or so really work on therapy and a strengthing program.
Keith
I'm 70 yrs old, Keith, and I'm in PT right now. My progress seems a bit slow (age?) but others tell me that I am really fit for my age so go figure? I'm in my 5th week post op..

A couple of other guys are about the same age as me and they seemed to have done well with their experience.

I certainly hope that all turns out well. It's been a downer for me to date..

Ride safe all, R.
post #14 of 25 Old May 4th, 2009, 12:25 pm

I'm 69, Couldn't get may foot off the peg of my R100RT April 05, stopped riding, and in july had the replacement,

I'm 6'3 and over weight by about 100 lbs, go to gym 3dy's a week and work on knee and hip strength.(had bypass in 95 so was doing gym thing for awhile)
Don't get upset about maybe not riding this year, you've got put a lot of pressure on that leg when swing over and healing time and workout makes all the difference.
You will walk painless and feel like you can do it.

Dennis
post #15 of 25 Old May 4th, 2009, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, Dennis..I'm trying to keep Happy Gilmore's phrase in my mind..

"YOU CAN DO IT!!!" (Or was it the 'Waterboy'?)

thanks, Roy
post #16 of 25 Old May 4th, 2009, 4:52 pm

left hip replaced 3 years ago, right knee replaced 2 years ago

have kept riding the LT thru it all .

no real problems

rehab and go!
post #17 of 25 Old May 4th, 2009, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk
left hip replaced 3 years ago, right knee replaced 2 years ago

have kept riding the LT thru it all .

no real problems

rehab and go!
You da MAN, Tom!!

Any problems getting on and off with the left hip??

Aloha, Roy
post #18 of 25 Old May 4th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwusmc
I'm 70 yrs old, Keith, and I'm in PT right now. My progress seems a bit slow (age?) but others tell me that I am really fit for my age so go figure? I'm in my 5th week post op..

A couple of other guys are about the same age as me and they seemed to have done well with their experience.

I certainly hope that all turns out well. It's been a downer for me to date..

Ride safe all, R.
You are just over a major thing......give it some time, work your butt off and I'm sure you will be feeling great. When you get a few months out, you will look back and see great progress. Good luck.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #19 of 25 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

Just had to post this update on my hip replacement surgery..

Finished my therapy sessions almost 3 months to the day of the surgery..

Doc gave me a thumbs up that morning and I got on the bike that PM for a short, re-fam ride. Little stiff getting on and off but with no hip pain at all..The ride was great which made the agony worth the effort..

Today was the the 5th day of riding in a row still with some stiffness which the Doc said would disappear in a couple of months..

So I'll be hitting the road for Florida to see my son around mid-July which allows me time to rebuild the butt up to my old distance riding callouses..
post #20 of 25 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Right hip replaced May 20, 1994, got K100RT 1995 and have been riding a K1200LT for thee last six years. If anything, after 15 years, my hip replacement is stronger than my left hip.

Of course, the surgeon rightly warned of the danger of femur damage in a cycle accident, but too me, its worth it. I am 5'9" with a 29" inseam and have been riding for over forty years.
post #21 of 25 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 2:23 pm

+1 on the surgey, I have to look at the scar to see which hip.
Good to hear you are on the go.
Dennis
post #22 of 25 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwusmc
Just had to post this update on my hip replacement surgery..

Finished my therapy sessions almost 3 months to the day of the surgery..

Doc gave me a thumbs up that morning and I got on the bike that PM for a short, re-fam ride. Little stiff getting on and off but with no hip pain at all..The ride was great which made the agony worth the effort..

Today was the the 5th day of riding in a row still with some stiffness which the Doc said would disappear in a couple of months..

So I'll be hitting the road for Florida to see my son around mid-July which allows me time to rebuild the butt up to my old distance riding callouses..
Good to hear you are back on your 05 !.. I am as well.. at 5 weeks spent a week at a golf tourney walking and getting better, then at around 7 weeks I gave the big girl a try.. First ride again was amazing !! NO PAIN on the replaced right hip !! I did have some reluctance just like you and it took a few rides until I was comfortable with the wife on the back. A week ago the wife and I did a 4 day trip around Madison Wisc area and we had a great time and NO hip issue on the new side either. Now I am considering the doctor's advice that I get the left one replaced too !!! Perhaps October or later as I am having so much fun again riding, even if the old left side is not totally happy I think I can wait ..I seemed to be a fast mender and I was FOCUSED on riding again.. A goal is a great motivator!! I suppose being 53 is a help, but I am certainly not tiny, which some say makes it a challenge. For me, if you have hip issues.. DO NOT WAIT. do it and get back to living life, I think I waited too long and do not plan to make that error again! .. Bill

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #23 of 25 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 6:37 am

Roy, Great to read you are up and going.... :-)
little_jake
post #24 of 25 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 9:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

What a blessing!
Glad you've mended enough to start riding again!!! That should improve your recovery rate!

Semper Fi!!!
post #25 of 25 Old Jul 4th, 2009, 12:40 am Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and kind words..It certainly helped to keep me on track and helped pull me out of the doldrums..
Just got back from a 1000 mile roundtrip to see my brother..Only issue was the discomfort from the damaged tissue that still needs healing..Doc said that would be gone in about another 2-3 months..
Mahalo (Thanks) to all and Aloha..
Y'all ride safe out there...SF, Roy C.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in