Stay In Your Lane.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Stay In Your Lane....

Target fixation is a beotch.

This is a sequence of shots from Deals Gap. The're 9 pictures, just scroll through them with the arrows at the top.

Lookie here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Re: Stay In Your Lane....

dont know if it was target fixation or speed that took him across the yellow...looks like his buddy was way out ahead and he may have been trying to keep up and riding beyond his ability....

JM2C

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #3 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
dont know if it was target fixation or speed that took him across the yellow...looks like his buddy was way out ahead and he may have been trying to keep up and riding beyond his ability....

JM2C

F
I agree. This is a blind curve and it seems as though he crossed the double yellows due to speed. Nontheless, he has a sore body, broken bike, photos of him with one shoe and some bills to pay....not good. They must have lots of problems here for someone to be sitting there taking photos!

post #4 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162
Target fixation is a beotch.

This is a sequence of shots from Deals Gap. The're 9 pictures, just scroll through them with the arrows at the top.

Lookie here
When you see you going don't want to go, force yourself to look where you need to be then talk to yourself.. Press, press, press.. press right to go right!!!

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #5 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
...looks like his buddy was way out ahead and he may have been trying to keep up and riding beyond his ability....
Yup! precisely why I avoid that oooover------rated stretch of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etracey
They must have lots of problems here for someone to be sitting there taking photos!
Or maybe............. he was distracted "momentarily" by the photographer

.......after all this could be his "opportunity" to

..............."become one of the "cool people"

and get "published" on a website for all his "friends" to see.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 7:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
...Or maybe............. he was distracted "momentarily" by the photographer

.......after all this could be his "opportunity" to

..............."become one of the "cool people"

and get "published" on a website for all his "friends" to see.
Kudos for voicing an opinion that runs contrary to the conventional wisdom, Hans. I've often wondered how many riders are distracted - even momentarily - by the various photographers on the Dragon. I think I noticed 3 separate pro photographers last April, and there's always 1 or more amateurs taking photos. I will admit that I have been distracted by them, and no, that doesn't mean everyone else is. Fortunately I'm going so slowly that I have plenty of time to remind myself to get back in the game!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:00 pm

My guess is he hasn't rode many curves to know how far his lean angle is. He froze in the curve and righted his bike. I would have leaned the bike more until it was either flopped on the side or I made it through the turn. Flopping a bike and sliding would be better than hitting the car and flying into the air. But again, he doesn't have any gear below waist.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #8 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbill
When you see you going don't want to go, force yourself to look where you need to be then talk to yourself.. Press, press, press.. press right to go right!!!
It probably would have been much better to have low sided while pressing too hard than to have whacked the side of this chebby, bustin' a window, scaring the sheeeit out of the occupants of the cage, losin' your cheap ass dumb sh#t footwear and loosing some thread on your levi's.

Sorry - don't give a crap about this [email protected]#hole. He deserved what he got.

Mark
'07 RT
post #9 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Yesterday, There was a Harley that crossed the yellow on 28 by the Fontana Bridge.

He hit the mountain wall hard.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #10 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I've often wondered how many riders are distracted - even momentarily - by the various photographers on the Dragon.
I like waving at folks while laid over in a corner.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 10:41 pm

I was on the GAP on 10/16/08 and passed by this accident. They guy was lying on the side of the road, with police everywhere and the ambulance had just gotten there. This was about 45 minutes after the accident.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #12 of 20 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
My guess is he hasn't rode many curves to know how far his lean angle is. He froze in the curve and righted his bike........... But again, he doesn't have any gear below waist.
Well, that would explain why he froze in fear!

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #13 of 20 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Boots would have been handy, since his shoe got ripped off. Lucky it wasn't his foot.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #14 of 20 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliMar
It probably would have been much better to have low sided while pressing too hard than to have whacked the side of this chebby, bustin' a window, scaring the sheeeit out of the occupants of the cage, losin' your cheap ass dumb sh#t footwear and loosing some thread on your levi's.

Sorry - don't give a crap about this [email protected]#hole. He deserved what he got.
Well, guess I don't have to say it now. ATGATT. On, and a little less stupidity would have helped too...

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #15 of 20 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:57 am

It is very easy to misjudge a corner and not have the riding skill to compensate. For someone riding over their ability , who among us hasn't at one time or other, it is very easy to "push'' out to the edge too far. I admit that I came off a corner or two with the wrong geometry. If we get away with it once we should remind ourself after a good self skolding that its brake , lean, accellerate through the corner . Getting it wrong is what seems to have been done in the clips. Seeing the shoe off is a good example of why good gear is so important.

As for not feeling for the guy as someone suggested, that seems a little foolish as we are all neophytes at one time or other and who here has not done at least one thing stupid . When I find myself in that position these days after a long absense from the riding, I just holler stupid in the helmet for the next couple of turns to remind me this is some serious shit we do and thank my maker for allowing me to get away with it THIS TIME while promising to use better judgment in the immediate future.

But I do feel for the guy because judging only by the pics I'm thinking he is punishing himself as much as any of us could . There is nothing worse than doing something stupid , but to have it captured on film. YIKES>

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #16 of 20 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Since the first photo has the bike and rider just making contact with the SUV we really can't make much of a judgement about the attitude of the bike (he's already just off of the seat towards the SUV).

The only thing we really know for sure is that he's over the centerline.

This could be due to excessive speed or simply a bad corner entry line.

David Hough in his book "Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well" presents this exact problem and how to prevent it by using "Delayed Apexing"

My GUESS is that this rider has never read or practiced any of Mr. Hough's wisdom and had a bad entry line.

Amazon.com has this book for $16.47.

I can't give this book a higher recommendation.

Harv

Harvey Burt
Minneapolis, MN
'03 (new on 7/31/2004) LTC Anthracite
post #17 of 20 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 2:56 pm

It really is hard to say what happened but it sure fits the classic early apex a corner disaster. If he would have late apex it he'd be no where near that SUV. I may purchase a few of these photo's as it would help me answer some of the questions I get from people in my booth that ask " Are MC Boots really worth it?"
post #18 of 20 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 3:06 pm

I also might add that the rider in the foreground is not in the proper position for the approaching corner. He should be farther to the left in preparation for a late apex.
post #19 of 20 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Boots would have been handy, since his shoe got ripped off. Lucky it wasn't his foot.

Oh yes, almost forgot, I'll admit it. Been where he's at before, just never quite hit an on coming vehicle. You can sometimes use all the clearance you have and still not make it due to too much speed. Most recent occurrence was last year with a few guys from here as witnesses

I never claimed to be a perfect rider!

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #20 of 20 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:45 pm

The paper said the driver was his ex-wife..hehehe.

"“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in