My last week of BMW ownership - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 5:08 am Thread Starter

My last week of BMW ownership

This Friday, the new owner of my '06 GT is flying into Cleveland to take her home to Indiana. It's going to be a long week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:08 am

Re: My last week of BMW ownership

Saturday morning get up and grab the kids, jump in the truck and go play on the four wheelers. It'll make the transition period not so bad.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #3 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 10:43 am

Last time I sold a bike, it was sad. Nothing like seeing someone else ride away on your "baby"...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 2:27 pm

Sorry for your lost!
post #5 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 3:42 pm

when do you pick up your new Connie? You know thats the one you want....especially in Black.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #6 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 4:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

From I-BMW.com:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperGT
Just got back from a 3 day ride from LA to Monterey to Tahoe and back. I went with a good friend who rides a GS (Alan) and a good friend of his (Tim) who rides the new Concours 14. What a beautiful trip, 1,300 miles of bliss!
I have been anxious to compare the new Connie and the GT because I almost waited for the Connie. So on one long stretch of road we did roll-on runs in 6th/5th/4th/ and 3rd gears.

6th gear pull:
this was the biggest difference, we started at about 70mph and twisted the throttle, the GT pulled away from the Connie so easily that I thought maybe he "bogged down" or something. So we did it again, by the time I left off the gas I was over 30 yards ahead of him. He caught up to me, lifted his helmet (he has a modular) and I could see the confusion on his face, a mixture of surprise, dissapointment and disbelief. I was giggleling like a little kid inside my helmet, I knew after the work I had done on the bike she was quick, but DAM!

5th gear pull:
we started at about 65 mph and twisted the throttle, again the GT pulled away easily, but not as fast, by the time I shifted into 6th I was about 15 yards ahead and pulling away.

4th gear pull:
we started at about 60 mph, the GT pulled away but not as fast, when I shifted into 5 gear I was maybe 4 bike lengths in front off him but still pulling away.

3rd gear pull:
we started at about 50 mph, the GT pulled away slowly, and when I shifted into 4th I was about 2 bike lengths away but still pulling away.

We also did a rolling start from 1st gear:
Connie got the jump on me and had a bike length in it's favor, but I was able to run him down and gain a bike length on him before we slowed down.

So it's clear to see that the Connie is at it's strongest in the higher rpm range, but no match at the lower rpm range. My buddy Alan was watching the whole time (we also have the scala rider headsets for bike-to-bike comms) and he was amazed and couldn't believe the GT was outrunning the big bad Concours 14.
Enjoy your new bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Enjoy your new bike.
That "story" simply doesn't line-up with any comparo I've ever read . . . or the dyno charts that I've seen. Not that it matters anyway. If speed and/or power was my main concern, I'd be buying a 'Busa, ZX-14, or the new V-Max. You silly rabbit!
post #8 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 5:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I rode a C14, wasn't that impressed. Hope it works better for you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 5:44 pm

Quote:
I rode a C14, wasn't that impressed. Hope it works better for you.
I was shocked at how badly they cornered and the heat that came off of them. Also, spoiled to the BMW front end.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 7:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It doesn't have to be your last week of BMW ownership -- just the last week of THAT BMW ownership! You may return to the new LT or some other future BMW model. Until then, ride what makes you grin -- like I could tell you that.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by etracey
Sorry for your lost!
Sorry for your loss?
- or -
Sorry that your lost?

Hmmm....

Mark
'07 RT
post #12 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:20 pm

Typical man, you never listen! I told you the Connie at track day could not get away from me, even in the straightaway. But, then, you're not listening now either, are you????

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #13 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Getting rid of an old bike is like a old GF...you maybe sad for a few days...but has soon as you find that new "ride" your all smiles and forget about that old girl. (not that I know)

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #14 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:17 pm

If you by a HD, I will personally come over and knock it over for you.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #15 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Without any emoticons in my post, I'm finding it quite entertaining how all of y'all think that I'm actually . . . err . . . sad.
What a hoot. You guys really do bleed blue & white, doncha?
post #16 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliMar
Sorry for your loss?
- or -
Sorry that your lost?

Hmmm....

yeah
post #17 of 65 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliMar
Sorry for your loss?
- or -
Sorry that you're lost?

Hmmm....
Fixed it for ya!!
post #18 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 12:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
You guys really do bleed blue & white, doncha?
you forgot one....RED.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #19 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
you forgot one....RED.
Naw. Not a lot of American-made bike owners in here. A few, but not a lot. Not that I condone such behavior either. But make one mention of buying a bike other than a BMW, and all the eyebrows raise. Quite humorous really.
post #20 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608
Typical man, you never listen! I told you the Connie at track day could not get away from me, even in the straightaway. But, then, you're not listening now either, are you????
It would seem the Connie driver didn't have much skill, then.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #21 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
But make one mention of buying a bike other than a BMW, and all the eyebrows raise. Quite humorous really.
Joe, there are many people here who have made the transition to other brands without raising an eyebrow.

The title of this thread is a very clear indication you need attention and shows specifically that you wanted to raise eyebrows. For two months we have had to endure your selling your GT, first in the classifieds here, then on eBay. We could go back through your posts and see a daily chronological flow of every step of this process.

You appear to be choosing between a couple of bikes to replace your GT. Both are great bikes but there is no objective comparison that wouldn't give the nod to the GT as having a superior suspension, less weight, better wind protection, more alternator power and better wind protection. Neither of the other two offer ESA, cruise control or a suspension as smooth and compliant. While an argument could be made for the respective better value, retail for retail, you throw that out the window when you take the hit on depreciation and taxes selling a GT you already own to buy one of those two.

The best I can tell by looking back through your posts that you are selling the GT because it broke once and you fear it might again. That is a valid reason for making the decision, but you really don't need to turn this forum into your personal diary.

I see lots of people on a daily basis, without a BMW in their sig line, adding positive value to this community. Maybe you could get to a point of doing the same, if you could learn to enjoy this community without the constant need for attention.

"Try not. Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda
post #22 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 3:38 pm
rlv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelurker
Joe, there are many people here who have made the transition to other brands without raising an eyebrow.

The title of this thread is a very clear indication you need attention and shows specifically that you wanted to raise eyebrows. For two months we have had to endure your selling your GT, first in the classifieds here, then on eBay. We could go back through your posts and see a daily chronological flow of every step of this process.

You appear to be choosing between a couple of bikes to replace your GT. Both are great bikes but there is no objective comparison that wouldn't give the nod to the GT as having a superior suspension, less weight, better wind protection, more alternator power and better wind protection. Neither of the other two offer ESA, cruise control or a suspension as smooth and compliant. While an argument could be made for the respective better value, retail for retail, you throw that out the window when you take the hit on depreciation and taxes selling a GT you already own to buy one of those two.

The best I can tell by looking back through your posts that you are selling the GT because it broke once and you fear it might again. That is a valid reason for making the decision, but you really don't need to turn this forum into your personal diary.

I see lots of people on a daily basis, without a BMW in their sig line, adding positive value to this community. Maybe you could get to a point of doing the same, if you could learn to enjoy this community without the constant need for attention.
Oh my god, here we go at it again.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #23 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: My last week of BMW ownership

"joelurker". Perhaps he should stick with his strengths.
post #24 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Apparently you haven't seen Deb ride her GT. The Connie rider could have been quite skilled and not been able to get away from her.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #25 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Quote:
... I see lots of people on a daily basis, without a BMW in their sig line, adding positive value to this community...
Hmm, apparently you're not one of them, Mr. 14 posts in 3 years.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #26 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Does that mean the last week of Joe??????

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #27 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 5:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
The title of this thread is a very clear indication you need attention and shows specifically that you wanted to raise eyebrows.
So, I see you've already met Joe.

Quote:
Ah, now maybe you haven't.

Quote:
Maybe you could get to a point of doing the same, if you could learn to enjoy this community without the constant need for attention.
Ah, now I definitely know that you haven't.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #28 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 5:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
...The title of this thread is a very clear indication you need attention and shows specifically that you wanted to raise eyebrows. For two months we have had to endure your selling your GT, first in the classifieds here, then on eBay. We could go back through your posts and see a daily chronological flow of every step of this process...

Whoa there, cowboy. Disregarding for a moment your perception of someone's need for anything, when all is distilled down you'll find that Joe has contributed a TON of useful, straight-up technical information to this site, interspersed with personal commentary on products from bikes to boots and everything in between, based on years of practical experience. Anyone's comments can be subjective ("I like this color") to objective, but Joe has contributed too much to be dismissed so easily.

Has he been at or near the center of some controversies? Yep, and I can think of several others who have, also. You don't need to endure anything from anyone on this site: just use the Ignore feature and you'll never be burdened again. Another choice would be to simply ignore the threads started by anyone in whose passion you don't want to share.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #29 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Quote:
So, I see you've already met Joe.

Ah, now maybe you haven't.

Ah, now I definitely know that you haven't.
Quote:
Whoa there, cowboy. Disregarding for a moment your perception of someone's need for anything, when all is distilled down you'll find that Joe has contributed a TON of useful, straight-up technical information to this site, interspersed with personal commentary on products from bikes to boots and everything in between, based on years of practical experience. Anyone's comments can be subjective ("I like this color") to objective, but Joe has contributed too much to be dismissed so easily.

Has he been at or near the center of some controversies? Yep, and I can think of several others who have, also. You don't need to endure anything from anyone on this site: just use the Ignore feature and you'll never be burdened again. Another choice would be to simply ignore the threads started by anyone in whose passion you don't want to share.
What they said.

I''ve been here only since July... and I for one ... will miss the messenger13 commentary on the world... oh wait... I have a hard time believing Mr Messenger13 (where the hell does somebody come up with such a ridiculous handle here I don't know)... will be able to refrain from adding his .0002 cents worth to any dialog... Saturday morning.. or any day thereafter...

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #30 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Hmm, apparently you're not one of them, Mr. 14 posts in 3 years.
Hey, I don't have a BMW in my sig line

I didn't realize it was a quantity thing.

Yoda
post #31 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I didn't realise I was dissin' a community treasure. My apologies.

I'll try to stay out of discussions until I have sufficient stature.

Yoda
post #32 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleeplessknight
What they said.

I''ve been here only since July... and I for one ... will miss the messenger13 commentary on the world... oh wait... I have a hard time believing Mr Messenger13 (where the hell does somebody come up with such a ridiculous handle here I don't know)... will be able to refrain from adding his .0002 cents worth to any dialog... Saturday morning.. or any day thereafter...
What does it matter to you who chooses what for their site name? If you want to go toe-to-toe and discuss technical issues, politics, or anything else, that's what some of the forums on this site are for. If all you "got" (a little street lingo here) is criticism of someone's user name, you need to stay on the porch.

Why don't you ask Joe where the name comes from?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #33 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I didn't realise I was dissin' a community treasure.
Dang it! Just when I wanted to dislike you, you go a redeem yourself with a comment like that!
post #34 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
What does it matter to you who chooses what for their site name? If you want to go toe-to-toe and discuss technical issues, politics, or anything else, that's what some of the forums on this site are for. If all you "got" (a little street lingo here) is criticism of someone's user name, you need to stay on the porch.

Hey Howard, I could be wrong, but I think Asleepless knight was being just a wee bit sarcastic when he poked fun at my username. Surely he has no room to talk.
post #35 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Man, that is a really low, under handed slap at Deb's riding abilities. I'll ride with Deb anytime, anywhere. That gal can smoothe blow your socks off in the twisty stuff. And to make matters worse, she has a young daughter that will put your tail between your legs, too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #36 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hey Howard, I could be wrong, but I think Asleepless knight was being just a wee bit sarcastic when he poked fun at my username. Surely he has no room to talk.
You may be right. If so, it went right over my head. Pardon me while I go over to the corner and remove my foot from my mouth. We'll have to wait and see.

I was tempted to take the low road and comment on his user name, my user name, anyone's user name, but I wanted to keep it respectful. Asleeplessknight, I hope you read it that way.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #37 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Quote:
I was tempted to take the low road and comment on his user name, my user name, anyone's user name, but I wanted to keep it respectful.
Yeah, just what is up with that silly, ol' user name of yours?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #38 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:58 pm

Quote:

Get over yourself Hschisler, I was joking! geez... get a grip MAN! >>> what the guy with the funky name said... what was it.. messenger floor between 12 and 14?

.... and what's wrong with... A.... sleepless... (k)night? Hmmmmm? gotta like the simile... come on.. you know you like it.

Asleepless
knight
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #39 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 8:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleeplessknight
Get over yourself Hschisler, I was joking! geez... get a grip MAN! >>> what the guy with the funky name said... what was it.. messenger floor between 12 and 14?

.... and what's wrong with... A.... sleepless... (k)night? Hmmmmm? gotta like the simile... come on.. you know you like it.
So noted!

OK, so my particular affliction is I read these things and tend to reply... too quickly. Sorry.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #40 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 9:31 pm

hschisler - There must be a pin we can get.. I know I deserve one with stars!

Asleepless
knight
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #41 of 65 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Apparently you haven't seen Deb ride her GT. The Connie rider could have been quite skilled and not been able to get away from her.
Ah, GT. I was thinking LT. I stand corrected and my apologies to Deb.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #42 of 65 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:05 pm

Quote:
Ah, GT. I was thinking LT. I stand corrected and my apologies to Deb.
No worries, and thanks to David and Griff for defending my honor!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #43 of 65 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Smile Re: My last week of BMW ownership

Quote:

"Community Treasure"... love it. Joe, you will have a hard time living that down!!! Priceless!!!!

Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #44 of 65 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsciullo
"Community Treasure"... love it.
Yeah, he's come a long way from Village Idiot, hasn't he?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #45 of 65 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 1:00 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Yeah, he's come a long way from Village Idiot, hasn't he?
OK, *NOW* you owe me a keyboard. (And a coffee)

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #46 of 65 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 1:04 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
I didn't realise I was dissin' a community treasure. My apologies
Treasure? I wouldn't go THAT far, but then I have been said to be sarcastic at times. Lets just say, no apology needed.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #47 of 65 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Quote:

Just bustin your balls.....I love to see Joe take a bash anytime from anyone.....

Welcome out of the proverbial lurker closet.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #48 of 65 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Just bustin your balls.....I love to see Joe take a bash anytime from anyone.....
As do it Dave ... as do I.

Quote:
Welcome out of the proverbial lurker closet.
That's not the first guy you welcomed out of the closet, is it now?!
post #49 of 65 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 3:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Feelin' the love, Joe?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #50 of 65 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 3:29 pm

Quote:
I think Asleeplessknight is an anagram of "Seeks Lasting help"

perhaps someone is trying to tell us something? where as Joe would be,

Seen 13 germs

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in