New 14 year old Virago. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

New 14 year old Virago.

I'm looking at a '93 Virago 1100 with 283, yes 283 miles on it. It has been in a dry, heated shop for 13 years.

I know there is a dry gritty bearing that needs to be replaced and a very small oil leak from the oil sensor. I can live with those, it would be a great winter project to fix.

What I'm most concerned about are the cylinders. Since it was not fully broken in, and it was not put away with the proper care to the engine, should I worry about anything else?

The carbs have been replaced and it runs great.

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: New 14 year old Virago.

does it start? If it does, I would "flush" the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil (MMO)and crank it over.. with the plugs OUT.

Crank it over enough to "flush" the excess oil out.

Reinstall plugs, mix 1 ounce of MMO to one gallon of gas.

Flush fuel tank (drain)

Add MMO and oil mixture... start bike... rev it up!!!! this should "blow" carbon out and free up rings if they are "sticking".

Run compression test... usually anything over 120 is good pressure for a combustion engine... the most important is that all cylinders are within specs and 5% pressure difference.

The MMO and gasoline should dissolve much of the tank sediment... now you can remove the tank and drain the fuel.. also clean up the tank fuel strainer and petcock. If you find any rust you may want to Creme it.

If you can find the space, add an inline external auto gasoline filter.. a plastic one is ok... to try to keep Gas tank trash out of the carbs.. may save you a rebuild of carbs.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

The current owner is a motorhead. He replaced the carbs when he bought it and has put 282 miles on it. It had 1 mile when he bought it from a dealer last year.

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:22 pm

If the price is right - I mean REALLY right - go for it!

I would do multiple oil flushes within the first several hundred miles of riding to flush out any nasty acids that have built up in the crank case over time. Even doing this you may have some bearing issues in the future. Engines HATE to sit unused.

Toss in some Stabil, let the engine run for a few minutes then wipe the chrome down with some vasoline and a microfiber rag. Put it up on the center stand, keep the tires aired up during the winter and the battery on a trickle charger. Check the battery every month and top it off with distilled water if needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
If the price is right - I mean REALLY right - go for it!

I would do multiple oil flushes within the first several hundred miles of riding to flush out any nasty acids that have built up in the crank case over time. Even doing this you may have some bearing issues in the future. Engines HATE to sit unused.

Toss in some Stabil, let the engine run for a few minutes then wipe the chrome down with some vasoline and a microfiber rag. Put it up on the center stand, keep the tires aired up during the winter and the battery on a trickle charger. Check the battery every month and top it off with distilled water if needed.
The price is really right. There were two dried bearings when he fired it up and had the dealer replace the easy one. They told him to ride it for a while to see if the other one improved as it would require pulling the engine to replace it.

I would pull it this winter and take care of it, looking forward to another project anyway. While the engine is out, I'd go ahead and replace seals as well as fork seals so will be new by spring!

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 8:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Joe,
I did not know the bad bearing was in the engine.... I would NOT run it at all until after rebuild.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Joe,
I did not know the bad bearing was in the engine.... I would NOT run it at all until after rebuild.
...and I agree 100%. You need to do the rebuild/inspection now to minimize any additional damage. Don't even think of starting it again.

I would get a firm estimate on the rebuild before you commit - parts cost will probably be minimal but you may be shocked what the labor charges will be.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
...and I agree 100%. You need to do the rebuild/inspection now to minimize any additional damage. Don't even think of starting it again.

I would get a firm estimate on the rebuild before you commit - parts cost will probably be minimal but you may be shocked what the labor charges will be.
My labor is free!

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
My labor is free!
Good man!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 1:58 pm

I had an older 920 Virago. The seals on the valve lifters dried out and needed replacing at about the same age as the one you are looking at.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in