Archives - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Archives

I read alot of post and notice many references to "CHECK THE ARCHIVES"...

If everybody just checked the archives what would everyone else talk about?

For me, I try to check the archives... but sometimes the search becomes a pain in the a$$ ... so I just add to or start a new thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 8:33 am

Re: Archives

I think you have some valid points. I think when someone asks a question we should try and help. We also need to point them to something. It doesn't hurt to tell them to do searches but I find it very useful when someone comes back with a link that has the information. I don't need them to retype everything but I do need sometimes help finding stuff and a point in the right direction is more useful then the comment, search the archive.

We as a group should always try and help with something useful. An example may be:

Here is a link to a thread that may help you find what your looking for. A lot has been written about this and it has been hashed over many times. Also some of the key words I would use for searching are bla, bla and bla. If you still can't find it let us know and we can maybe help more or once you have looked over the old threads you may have some more questions.

This is my humble option.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 8:33 pm

Valid points by both of you,

I think you'll find that "most" of us that have been here for a while
do and will help out when and where we can,
it all depends on how you ask.

Some subjects have been "beat to death" in the past
and "we" just don't feel like talking about them anymore
which is probably why it can be such a hassle to search sometimes.

I do think you should at least try to look for something
before you ask someone else to do "the looking" for you.
And asking "where should I look" is a valid question.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 7:19 am

The fact that folks here are nice is one of the great things about this site. Though I am fairly new here, I have noticed that when someone asks a question that has been answered before, they are not lambasted like I see on other forums. Some people just don;t have the same abilities as others as how to search, keywords to use, and so forth.

I have seen comments on posts to check the archives, however it was done in conjunction with (at least part of) an answer. Folks here try to help, but in a civil/classy way (well most folks anyway ).

Thanks everybody for making this such a great site!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Does anyone know where to find the finer points of searching a forum? Such as the use of quotes to search for an exact phrase or the use of and/or between two or more key words. Other helpful strategies?
I'm not sure if either of these searching techniques actually work here.

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 7:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Bump. Just wondering if the search function has any logic capabilities.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 9:02 am

Bump

start here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #8 of 8 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 12:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Thanks Hans. My question goes beyond what I've found there ("You can search for posts based on username, word(s) in the post or just in the subject, by date, and only in particular forums."). I'd like to refine a search so there aren't so many irrelavant hits. If I'd like to find a thread that discusses the installation of a GripPuppy with a compressor, I'd rather not go through the 10's of threads that just have the term GripPuppy and the others that just have the term compressor.
To be able to search "grippuppy and compressor" is a common way to limit the number of successful hits to those only including both terms. The only way to do that is in the "Search FAQ" page. Just wondering if it applies to individual forums.

Thanks again,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in