Anyone with a Tiger as a 2nd bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

Anyone with a Tiger as a 2nd bike?

I currently have the LT, or more accurately, my wife has the LT, and I have my HD Deuce that I ride when I'm one up. So far I can stay with the FJRs and the Bandit I ride with, but now the guys are stepping up to FZ1 and 6s. My HD just won't cut it anymore. I've test ridden the FZ1, Honda ST1300, JFR, BMW RT and the Triumph Tiger. I liked the Tiger best, followed closely by the Yamaha FZ1.
So my question for the guys with the Tigers: how well do they handle high speed? I keep reading about "wallowing" in the curves, but then again can't trust most of the reviews. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Frank

Here's the Deuce tapped out in the twisties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leanangle.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	20200  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Re: Anyone with a Tiger as a 2nd bike?

Don't have one yet but the Tiger is probably my next bike...I have test rode and have read every review plus talked to allot of people who have it... They are sold on the tiger...Plus its very light and the waviness in high speed sweepers is in allot of bikes..................Pete
post #3 of 24 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 7:26 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

You can keep up with an FJR on an HD Deuce? That says something about you as a rider, or possibly the other guy.

My roommate had a Tiger 955 which I rode a bit. It's a fun, torquey bike that handles like a big supermoto. Nothing wrong with that at all.

You didn't say if you were looking at a new Tiger or an older one. Keep in mind the original Tiger had dual sport pretensions, with a bigger front wheel for better off-road handling. The newer models exploited the supermoto characteristics more, with a smaller front wheel that takes more standard sport bike tires, among other changes.

You said you rode a Tiger. If you're happy with it and it fits your needs, then go for it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 24 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

I test rode an '08, and that's what I'd be going after. When I tested it, I elected to go out with a salesman (said he had a fun route to take). He took an Aprilla. It had rained that morning, so I couldn't really push the bike through the corners. I will say though, that there were plenty of times I was ready to pass the Aprilla, but that's probably the salesman trying to keep me in check.
I felt like the Triumph was a very capable bike, but felt the same on the FZ1. My only concern is the high speed cornering. My Deuce does quite well under, say 75 - 80 MPH. Above that, it's sort of hair raising. What I want out of the bike is to lay it over as far as she'll go, but be stable doing it. The Tiger and even the FZ1 are as radical as I care to go, just can't get into the supersport style of riding. I'm hoping for some input along those lines.
Thanks again.
post #5 of 24 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Jim just got one.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 24 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:01 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
Jim just got one.
Yes I did, great bike. I actually like it better in the kind of sweepers that you are talking about than any of my BMWs. I have had two RTs, a LT and a GS. The RTs had stock suspension while the LT and GS had Ohlins. To me, and I know others here will disagree with this, the BMWs never seemed completely planted in high speed sweepers. Never to the point that I felt out of control, but just not "firm". The Tiger on the other hand is much more solid feeling. I am still playing with the suspension settings, but I am quite happy so far.

If you are keeping up with them on the Deuce you are gonna spank 'em with the Tiger.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #7 of 24 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:30 am

I have a 2006 Tiger and love the bike. Plenty of speed and handling. Prior to purchasing the LT, was the best bike I ever owned.

Totally different bike then the LT and a kick to ride. Word of caution on earlier Tigers (pre 2007). These bikes are top heavy and sit rather high. I have a 30 inch inseam and I'm on my tip-toes at a stop.

Good thing is once you get used to the Tiger, handling the LT will be a piece of cake. When I first started visiting this site I was surprised reading the comments about how heavy the LT was. All relative my friends. Compared to to the Tiger, LT is a mini bike (really).

Bottom line, if you want a reliable bike that you can take off road and enjoy getting there, the Tiger is what you need.

2006 Triumph Tiger
2007 Kawaski 500 LTD
2009 BMW K 1200 LT

Alaska - The best kept secret in the entire U S of A!

I do not have a problem with God, it's his fan clubs that I do not agree with.
post #8 of 24 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 7:34 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys:

If you are keeping up with them on the Deuce you are gonna spank 'em with the Tiger.
And that's exactly what I have in mind. But...do I dare trust a "slow old guy"?

I did a lot of work on the suspension of the Deuce to get it to do what it does, and considered even more, but seems like throwing good money away. The guys I ride with have 2 FJRs, a Suzuki Bandit, an R1 and now the FZ1. On either the Deuce or LT, I can hang with all except, now, the R1 and FZ1. One of the best rides I've had in a very long time was over a Hwy here, #242. Nothing but switchbacks. I got on the Bandit's tail and dogged him the whole way (on the LT). You know you're having fun when you're laughing out loud in your own helmet. Had to put the LT up to 8K to do it, and don't know how much damage I did to the clutch, gears and driveline, but it was worth it.
Now, maybe, it's spankin' time!!

Thanks again for the input.

Frank
post #9 of 24 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Now, maybe, it's spankin' time!!
May I ask ... Why aren't you looking into a true sportbike? If asphalt twisties is all you're going to ride, that is. A Ducati 1098 perhaps? Pure evil.
post #10 of 24 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 2:26 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Thanks guys:

But...do I dare trust a "slow old guy"?

Frank
Probably not the best of ideas.

BTW, if you haven't found it yet, www.tiger1050.com has some good info.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #11 of 24 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

May I ask ... Why aren't you looking into a true sportbike? If asphalt twisties is all you're going to ride, that is

One of my sons has the Kawasaki Ninja 636. I tried it twice, and twice I felt like the proverbial monkey (the Kawi being the football). It was funny: when we swapped bikes back, we both said the same thing, "I feel completely out of control on that thing!"

With me pushing 60, I think I'll stick with what's comfortable, and that's more upright seating positions.

This, however, is a goal of mine:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2007_Tiger1050_2r.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	20222  
post #12 of 24 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 7:32 pm

Garage

I test rode a Tiger 1050 before I bought my R12RT. I would have the Triumph in the garage now if it wasn't for my wife not being comfortable on the back. Awesome motorcycle.
post #13 of 24 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:30 pm

Not sure why you didn't just get an RT , it will do it all. I ride with two guys on R1's and don't have trouble keeping up other than they are better than I am at the tight and downhill stuff. High speed sweepers I give up nothing to them.

uh, that is to say I never speed, should anyone read this post. sic

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #14 of 24 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:03 pm

I sold my 1050 to get the LT. I am a big guy (6'4" 320) and the Tiger was just not planted for me in the corners + I could not ride 2 up without it being just overwhelmed.

GREAT engine, fun to ride, but not that comfortable for me.

The LT on the other hand fits me to a tee - although now I also want an RT....

'10 K1300s (Current)
'08 LT - Blue (For Sale)
'07 Triumph Tiger
'06 WeeStrom
'83 Honda 650 Turbo
'82 XT550
'76 Ducati 750SS
'78 Ducati Darmah
'78 XT500
'79 Suzuki 1000
'77 RM250
'76 DT125

post #15 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 2:59 pm

The Tiger in my opinion is a great second bike I loved mine,
It;s affordable
Easy to ride
Handles good
I like the looks
You can twist and turn or tour 1 up in good comfort and protection
Boy does it sound good with an open exaust
Almost bullet proof

And,
The suspension needs sorting, heavier front springs and slightly heavier oil, the rear end will work with some experimitation.
The chain is junk

The good far out weighs the bad.

2010 K1300GT
2009 R1200GSA
Beemer in the garage since 1977
BMWMOA #20238
DALLAS, TEXAS
post #16 of 24 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 1:46 pm

I exchanged the LT for a 2008 Tiger 1050i as my only bike. I wanted to do something different for awhile. More ponies and half the weight, it is a joy to ride. I've got it mostly farkled as an adventure tourer, just need aluminum panniers now. I dropped the seat 1" with a suspension bracket mod, added crash bars (not shown in these earlier pics), taller after market windscreen, HID, brake flashers, handlebar risers, heated handgrips, Zumo, XM-radio, throttle lock... Just had the 6k service done ($188) and in August, I rode her to Phoenix and back. The triple engine makes a nice purr, which is even better with an after-market (read: no baffles) muffler.

High speed handling is fine for me. I'm sure I don't push it near it's capabilities. It accelerates to passing speeds just by thinking about it. The trip computer has a "MAX SPEED" log so you can show your friends you really did go 125 mph on the last stretch....

Some caveats:

1. If your wife/SO likes the comfort of the LT, don't trade for a Tiger. The pillion position is nowhere close to as comfortable (needs the pegs dropped). She is still PO'd at me. But I expect I can leverage that into a new LT sooner or later. IF they ever fix the FD problem.

2. The Hinckley Triumph factory has limp-wristed robots assembling their bikes. I had three bolts just fall out in the first couple thousand miles. Inconsequential as they were (two chain cover bolts and a skid pan bolt), others have lost engine side cover bolts and hence their oil. I checked the torque on mine - all were very much under the 9 Nm torque spec. On the Triumph forums, they will tell you, "If you ride it, you torque it."

It's a very cool platform to mold into your own motorcycle fantasy touring bike. It will cruise 80+ all day (Red line is upwards of 150 mph). Engine buzz is there, but not obnoxious like the mid-4000 buzz of the LT mid exhaust bracket (please remove it if you haven't already). The slimmer Cal Sci windscreen I chose is sufficient, but not the total buffet guard of the LT billboard sized screens. The LT is definitely more plush for the long ride.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i

Last edited by davemoore; Oct 24th, 2008 at 1:54 pm.
post #17 of 24 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Just got back from a test ride on an 07 my dealer has for sale. It also has the optional Triumph exhaust. Very nice bike, it reminds me of a more sophisticated V Strom. One hell of a motor, and with that exhaust, going through gears was sweeeeeeeeet! My only complaint with the bike is that it's so dam tall. My dealer says you can get a low seat but for me it needs more then that. They also said they could lower the whole bike by as much as an 1 3/4" but you have to change the rear shock which would be close to $1000. It's something for me to think about for a while along with a new 05 Ducati Multa Strada I looked at a few weeks ago, and or a possible trade from my Lt to an Rt.
post #18 of 24 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

I think I'm going to spring for the Tiger, but I have to keep the HD too. As far as lowering the bike, there is a bracket available that will lower it 1 1/2". The bike I tested had that on it. Made it very nice, but I would prefer original height. Those brackets were only a couple of bucks, and I think the dealer I was at would throw them in the deal. He had two std. height, and two lowered. No suspension change was involved.

Thanks everyone who offered opinions.

Frank
post #19 of 24 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 5:22 pm

Quote:
As far as lowering the bike, there is a bracket available that will lower it 1 1/2". The bike I tested had that on it.
Thanks everyone who offered opinions.

Frank
Any idea what that bracket is called or exactly what it does? The dealer I want to told me they had change the rear shock. Maybe their not aware of this bracket. Boy, if that's the case this bike would be on my very short list for a second bike to replace my V Strom.
post #20 of 24 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 7:53 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

If you go over to www.tiger1050.com and do a search, you'll find some discussion about lowering the bike. I am OK with the standard height so I haven't followed them but I believe you change the plates that connect the rear shock to the bike at the bottom. Then drop the forks a bit. I am certain that you can do it with the stock suspension.

Here's a link or two...

http://www.tiger1050.com/index.php?o...6&topic=6489.0

http://www.tiger1050.com/index.php?o...6&topic=4516.0

http://www.tiger1050.com/index.php?o...6&topic=5206.0

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

Last edited by Jim; Oct 24th, 2008 at 8:01 pm.
post #21 of 24 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 9:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
If you go over to www.tiger1050.com and do a search, you'll find some discussion about lowering the bike. I am OK with the standard height so I haven't followed them but I believe you change the plates that connect the rear shock to the bike at the bottom. Then drop the forks a bit. I am certain that you can do it with the stock suspension.

Here's a link or two...

http://www.tiger1050.com/index.php?o...6&topic=6489.0

http://www.tiger1050.com/index.php?o...6&topic=4516.0

http://www.tiger1050.com/index.php?o...6&topic=5206.0
The last link (hey, that was my thread! aka dmboerne) details a "freebie" lowering of 1" by drilling an offset hole in the two suspension link plates. Or, you can buy aftermarket Braban plates (or get them from Mick on the tiger1050 list for cheaper) to drop it 1-1/2". I did the first one with good results. If you do the latter, it's also a good idea to drop the front triple clamps by 18mm. My inseam is about 29-1/2" and I can flat foot both sides at once now.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i

Last edited by davemoore; Oct 24th, 2008 at 9:44 pm.
post #22 of 24 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:13 pm

That's just great! Now I have yet another bike I have to go throw a leg over!!! (OK ... I'm not really mad atcha.)

Schaweet!

post #23 of 24 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Well, I guess I lied. I said I was going to spring for the Tiger, but I didn't. As I thought about it, and reading through Messenger13's post about comparing bikes, I realized I would be trying to make the Tiger do what it wasn't meant to do. I REALLY like the Tiger, and if I didn't already have a cruiser and touring bike, it would have been a perfect fit. But since I already have two bikes that do what the Tiger does, I realized I needed to move out of my comfort zone, and get a bike that does what my other two don't - haul ass. Picked up a very clean 06 Yamaha FZ1. Look out world, here I come!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	20402  
post #24 of 24 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 7:23 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Nice bike.

Be careful with that thing.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in