Leno on Helmets - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 8:59 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Leno on Helmets

Leno on Helmets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Randy; Oct 20th, 2008 at 5:14 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 9:31 pm

Re: Leno on Helmets

Interestingly, according to the helmet rep. it's O.K to use a helmet that's been dropped or one that's been painted. Usually those interested in selling will tell you "It's ruined, buy a new one"

Some other good points made as well. Worth watching, thanks for posting.
post #3 of 28 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Nice post. Thanks for this. Makes some very good points.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

post #4 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 8:14 am

Good stuff!!!

Thank you very much for sharing!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #5 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 9:10 am

I just want to know why all the helmet makers don't have different pads and liners. I don't think I have ever been to a shop yet that talks about changing out pads to help fit the helmet.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #6 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:04 am

All I see is a blank box. Is there something I should do to view "Leno on helmets"?
post #7 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
All I see is a blank box. Is there something I should do to view "Leno on helmets"?
Surely the post wasn't a cut-n-paste offense.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
Yup - thass all I see also. Maybe I gotta donate or sumpthin'!!!

Plus, I get no display of the emoticon, when in fact, I added one to that sentence??
post #9 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

I get a blank box too while in the office, but I am sure I get the video when I get home tonight.

Our office has firewalls, ACLs, and rules like you wouldn't believe...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I get a blank box too while in the office, but I am sure I get the video when I get home tonight.

Our office has firewalls, ACLs, and rules like you wouldn't believe...
I wuzn't even sure that 'embedding' works in this forum. Weren't there only two forums where it works?

Butt, if that's the case, how'd some other folks see it, here??
post #11 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:28 am

I can still see it, had to allow flash & scripts on the page as I have my Firefox defaults set to reject them automatically without my OK.
Check your browser settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I wuzn't even sure that 'embedding' works in this forum. Weren't there only two forums where it works?
If you have a red name maybe it's allowed anywhere?
post #12 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:31 am

"I just want to know why all the helmet makers don't have different pads and liners. I don't think I have ever been to a shop yet that talks about changing out pads to help fit the helmet." (if someone would PM me on how to properly post the quote with the box technique please)

I have to agree. I have made more than a few calls to companies asking why there is such limited fitting on any given helmet. Really did not get much of an answer. My BellStar full face from the 70's, had a great liner and fit winter gear and summer use, without the need to buy a second helmet.

Having bought 4 Nolans the past year, I am disappointed in their lack of interest to create interchangeable liner inserts. They do offer four sizes of check pieces to swap out if you ask, but none are available from the dealers, and you probably will be asked to pay for the pads. My Helmet fits great after custom molding it and rounding off hot spots, as long as I have nothing else under it. Beyond that, the next size larger was too big, and I would have needed to use a doo rag all the time. Certainly seems to me there should be enough padding in the helmet to be able to wear it for all occasions.

Possibly another helmet may have fit better, but I really wanted the modular helmet due to needing to wear glasses, and this was THE best I could find in our area at any of the local shops. I then ordered a Nolan X-lite in XL (supposedly a different head shape, but I could not tell any difference), and that was a tighter fit than my 102C in L. Didn't much care for the helmet, so I gave up on that idea and came across the GMAX.

I am expecting the GM 44 sometime today and hope that takes care of my need for more room in the helmet for colder temp riding and need for the balaclava or doo rag.

If enough people complained, I would think the problem with the helmet liners would be addressed.

On the other hand, we have BMW producing an expensive machine with the same exact and well known design flaws, year after year, and don't remedy the problems. That makes no sense to me either.

In the mean time, good to have this forum to share our perspectives on the gear and fix the problems that we can.
post #13 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Loaded right up for me and I pushed the play button. Good stuff...thanks for sharing.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #14 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:41 am

got nothing?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #15 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 1:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I use Firefox as my default browser and it takes a bit for the link to appear. Makes it through the gauntlet at work.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #16 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 1:04 pm

Try this link:

http://superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm

I couldn't see the video either.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #17 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
Try this link:

http://superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm

I couldn't see the video either.

Joe
Thanks, Joe. And thanks to El Jeffe for starting it off. Glad I got to see that. Good info for all.
post #18 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Excellent, thanks to everybody and especially to Jay.
post #19 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 5:01 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick

Butt, if that's the case, how'd some other folks see it, here??
Apparently someone enabled HTML in this forum as well.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #20 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Shoei sells various thickness cheek pads (you can get different liners as well, but those are limited by the "shell" size--i.e. XL and XXL are one shell size, M and L are another, so if you buy an XL helmet and it's too big, you can't get a L liner and swap it).

Scorpion also sells inter-changeable pads, again limited by the two base shell sizes, as does Shark.
post #21 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 5:59 pm

A couple years ago, Mrs. Juggler was complaining that her old Shoei helmet made her ears hurt and gave her headaches. After 20 minutes or so on the bike, she was miserable.

At the motorcycle show that year, we met up with an Arai factory rep (might even be the guy in the video) who measured her head, and recommended the exact model and size she should wear -- and which cheekpads to get (down 5 mm).

The most excellent folks at Seattle Cycle Center gave us the "show price" on the helmet and swapped out the cheekpads (I think for no charge). All of the folks at SCC seem to be very knowledgable about helmet sizing.

Mrs. J loves her new helmet and we can ride forever -- at least until Mr. J needs a potty stop.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #22 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 6:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
I just want to know why all the helmet makers don't have different pads and liners. I don't think I have ever been to a shop yet that talks about changing out pads to help fit the helmet.
I think they all make them, most shops don't carry them and you have to hunt for them. I stumbled on to the fact that HJC offers different sized cheek pads by accident. I was looking for parts for my helmet (I dropped it, without my head in it, and a little gear broke on the flip up) and found the cheek pads on Newenoughleathers.com. Made a loose fitting helmet nice and tight by replacing the cheek pads with thicker ones.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #23 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 7:09 pm

I believe we too ran into the helmet guy at Blocker's HD, when we first started looking for some.

Almost every BMW rider we met, had a Nolan and suggested that brand. A month or so of searching, and after many attempts and quite a few ordered for sizing, we got the best fit we could, based on his information.

We did go with the modular Nolan 102C, expecting to at some point add their COM system, until we found out how much that cost.

While the original Nolan (L) fit me well for summer, I needed more room for a balaclava for colder temps. Just got the GMAX44 (XXL) this afternoon. Nice helmet for the money, with what appears to be some options it would have been nice had Nolan offered them.

It can get expensive very quickly trying to find the right helmet when you can't take one out of the store or use it. Not having many other options, I ordered this from Revzilla. Waited almost two months for one to come in the size I wanted, and so far, it looks like a better fit than my Nolan. While not quite built as sturdy, it is by far better than other choices I can afford.

Give it a few days of wear in the house. That goes well, should know in a week or so if it works well in the wind and cold.

Very little support for parts for the GMAX in the US. Their replacement cheek pads are $20/each. They have 10, 20, 25 and 30mm pads. They will not exchange the new ones in the helmet for a different size, which Nolan did.

The Nolan goes in for warranty repair the end of next month.

See how it all goes. Thanks for the video link!!
post #24 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 7:55 pm

To all of those who have not been able to see the clip in the original post, you need to get the latest Flash Player (it is a free download) to view it.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #25 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
To all of those who have not been able to see the clip in the original post, you need to get the latest Flash Player (it is a free download) to view it.
That's not it. It wasn't working earlier for me, now it is.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #26 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 8:05 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
That's not it. It wasn't working earlier for me, now it is.
I edited the object code.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #27 of 28 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 9:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ohhhhh.. I thought that was Jay's HELMET... but it is his HAIR!!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #28 of 28 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 1:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I believe we too ran into the helmet guy at Blocker's HD, when we first started looking for some.

Almost every BMW rider we met, had a Nolan and suggested that brand. A month or so of searching, and after many attempts and quite a few ordered for sizing, we got the best fit we could, based on his information.

We did go with the modular Nolan 102C, expecting to at some point add their COM system, until we found out how much that cost.

While the original Nolan (L) fit me well for summer, I needed more room for a balaclava for colder temps. Just got the GMAX44 (XXL) this afternoon. Nice helmet for the money, with what appears to be some options it would have been nice had Nolan offered them.

It can get expensive very quickly trying to find the right helmet when you can't take one out of the store or use it. Not having many other options, I ordered this from Revzilla. Waited almost two months for one to come in the size I wanted, and so far, it looks like a better fit than my Nolan. While not quite built as sturdy, it is by far better than other choices I can afford.

Give it a few days of wear in the house. That goes well, should know in a week or so if it works well in the wind and cold.

Very little support for parts for the GMAX in the US. Their replacement cheek pads are $20/each. They have 10, 20, 25 and 30mm pads. They will not exchange the new ones in the helmet for a different size, which Nolan did.

The Nolan goes in for warranty repair the end of next month.

See how it all goes. Thanks for the video link!!
Check out Cycle Gear. There is one in Allentown, PA. Here's the helmet policy:

No Hassle 7-Day Helmet Exchange

New street helmets may be exchanged for another helmet of any value provided the returned helmet is in new and unused condition with all of it's original packaging and accessories. In order to protect our customers, helmets exchanged under this program may not be ridden in, dirty, scuffed, chipped or damaged in any way.

So, try one out. Wear it around the house, watch old race videos, eat dinner in it (try to avoid pasta!) and if you just don't like it, bring it back! If your helmet was purchased online, we'll pay your return shipping charges for one exchange, as long as it's just for a different size (must be the same make, model and color).

That is the only place I have come across that has any sort of helmet exchange policy.

Time for bed. Have to be up early to watch some forging tomorrow.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in