1500 mile, 32 hours and rain - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 7:52 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

1500 mile, 32 hours and rain

A few weeks ago I decided it's time for another Iron Butt ride. At first a 1500/24 sounded like a good idea, but was then at the request of SWMBO changed to a 1500/36. A good decision in looking back.

Also the forst plan to do that last weekend, which would have had optimal weather for this kind of activity, due to various factors had to be delayed to this weekend, with, well lets just say less optimal weather.

So, on Wednesday evening I packed up the bike, checked everything one more time, and Thursday morning I went again to work (just as every day) but with one exception: Come lunchtime, instead of going with the guys to pick up some food I started my run.

During the preparation phase when I looked at the map I was looking for a destination around 1500 miles from Houston, easily reachable on freeways which was a straight shot and no matter what I did I had to go north. Going to either coast would not be good, and in CA I would run risk of running into some serious traffic. So, the endpoint chose was Philadelphia, PA.

Therefore, before I started my run, I also decided I could afford to loose a few official miles, and moved the start point to the east side of Houston to miss Houston traffic. Something I did not need to do as it turned out later, but I didn't know that at the time.

Thursday 12:02 Start in Baytown (Eastside of Houston) at a light drizzle. We had a storm coming through the day before so I pretty much knew I would be going to chase that storm for a long time. I just did not know for HOW long I would be chasing that squall line which again as it turned out was 2000 miles long. Anyhow, The driizzle turned into heavy rain just as expected, And I was on my way east to New Orleanso I-10. Houston to New Orleans are about 4 hours and it was 4 hours of torrential downpour frog drowners. Now I know how Grif feels when his personal raincloud follows him everywhere he goes. But then by the time it was time to turn north on I-59 the cloud cover opened and the weather got nicer, and for the rest of the day it was actually dry. Needless to say that during those 4 hours I had plenty of chance to test my rainpreparedness and I have to say the combination of Olympic and Frog Toggs kept me perfectly dry. UNfortunately by the time the rain stopped it also started to get dark, so I had little chance to look at the country side and just kept on going.

Now you have to understand that the bike I was doing this run on is everything but an LT. A few of you might know the story but suffice it to say that I don;t have an LT right now for verious reasons, and I was/am on the Burgman. Turns out that the Burgman's limits and mt limits are in pretty good alignment. Especially since there is no special seat, just the stock Burgman seat. Those limits are clearly defined since the tank capacity with 4 gal is anything but great, and so the stopping points are every 150 miles max. AT travelling speeds that is about every 2 - 2.5 hours. That is long enough to put a good distance behind you and then it's time to make gear adjustments anyhow. So my Burger and I were droning north east on I-59 until short after Birmingham, AL when I realized my reflexes are getting slower and I was just generally exhausted, and so I called it a night. Since the rain had stopped 6 hours ago I was still riding with summer gloves, even though it started to get a little bit to the chilly side.

One thing I had been told was that when you doing these long runs, the worst you can do is to eat a big meal, and so I basically lived all day long on a bottle of ice tea and one bagel. Needless to say at midnight I was kind of .... hungry. I was about 30 miles north east of Birmingham in the middle of nowhere where I found a motel, and next door a little country diner. VERY good food after a long day. They all loonked at me in light disbelieve when I walzed in in full gear.

After some restful 5 hours of sleep I got up at 6AM to continue the run up to Philly. Unfortunately during the last 5 hours of me being more or less still in my bed the storm had caught up and when I opened the room of the motel door I looked again into light drizzle. SHIT!

Oh well, back out comes the rain gear, and off I go. unfortunately the line of travel now lay perfectly aligned with the aformentioned squall line. Or in other words, I was in rainy conditions all day long until I came to Harrisburg, PA, where it opened back up. during that time again, my gear worked flawless, the Gerbing kept me warm, which would otherwise have been a reason to break it off, because after you have travelled for 12 hours through downpours, no matter what model of glove you have, it WILL be soaked through and through. I did bring 3 pairs of gloves, but even the real heavy winter gloves were getting too cold since they were wet, so I switched to the Gerbing gloves. The Gerbings are not AS watertight, but at least they were warmer. mind you I did not say warm. During all that travel I got quite a bit further noth, and the temps were getting down into the low 50's, damp, wet, clammy, 75mph, even the gerbings were unable to keep up. BUT they were able to stay warm enough to enable me to finish the ride.

At 9:20 local I rolled in Philadelphia, got my final receipt, and my witness signatures.

Today I am comfortably resting and unbuzzing. Because, while the burger is a nice and very capable bike, it's still a twin. A very well balanced twin, but still a twin. LOL. Certain parts of my body are still numb from all the buzzing. Oh well, that'll go away with time. I am spending the Saturday and Sunday in Philadelphia and riding back on Monday.

I just hope the weather back will be better,

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 8:21 am

Re: 1500 mile, 32 hours and rain

Andy: Thanks for sharing. Do you have a major lesson learned from the trip?

Be safe!

AL
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 8:57 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Take ALL the gear with you,

Even 50F is COLD when you are wet.

Don't eat (much)

Stop when you tired.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 9:52 am

Andy...good on ya! Thanks for the write-up also and now go and enjoy the sites. Ring the bells for me.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 10:13 am

Andy... congratulations. Well done.

The following is not criticism, but thoughts for other riders who may be planning...If it were me, and I wanted to do 1500 in 36 from Houston, the last direction I would head is toward Philly. I've been to Philly many times.

I have a daughter living in Houston and I do 1700 miles in way less than 36 heading northwest- toward Utah. not only is there far less traffic and congestion, the scenery is good too.

Thanks for the write up.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 11:49 am

Andy -
Thanks for a good write-up! And, hey, the Burger ain't nuttin to be 'shamed of - it's got 2 wheels, does distance pretty well, and no FD worries 8-D. Well done!!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Congratulations Andy and thanks for the ride report on your "Burger Bun Burner" . When your ride is certified you will be a genuine IBA Mile Eater. According to the IBA definition that's anyone crazy enough to do more than one ride. Probably less than one in ten IBA members ever do.

As a Mile Eater there will be even more IBA store merchandise available for your buying pleasure . They now have both short and long sleeve Mile Eater t-shirts for year around riding style and comfort . Of course that assumes folks have more dollars than sense. Probably the reason I bought two of each .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #8 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 6:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations, Andy. Now, head on down to South street and get a cheese steak at Jim's!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #9 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 9:35 pm
Enjoy The Ride

On august 26 I left Concord NC to North Dakota. It rained 11" that day from a tropical strom moving north. I rode 490 miles to Dayton Ohio in drizzle to heavy rain. I have two pair of rain proof gloves one from Bass Pro Shop for $28 & one pair from Frank Thomas for $60.

The Frank Thomas gloves have more protection so that is what I wore. My hands never got wet but every time I stopped for fuel my hands stunk so bad that I didn't want to go inside the store. Did you any problems like that.
post #10 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 6:54 am

Good onya, Andreas! Quite an accomplishment.

Aerostitch makes a glove cover that is absolutely waterproof, though you look like a three finger, clawed alien.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 7:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Good onya, Andreas! Quite an accomplishment.

Aerostitch makes a glove cover that is absolutely waterproof, though you look like a three finger, clawed alien.
And your point is?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 7:19 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
On august 26 I left Concord NC to North Dakota. It rained 11" that day from a tropical strom moving north. I rode 490 miles to Dayton Ohio in drizzle to heavy rain. I have two pair of rain proof gloves one from Bass Pro Shop for $28 & one pair from Frank Thomas for $60.

The Frank Thomas gloves have more protection so that is what I wore. My hands never got wet but every time I stopped for fuel my hands stunk so bad that I didn't want to go inside the store. Did you any problems like that.
LOL I did not smell my hands ....

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #13 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 7:37 am

Andy,
Congrats on the Bun Burner.. I have not attempted the BBG. Seems like you'd really have to push it, and be on the 4 lane the entire time.
I did a BB on the way to CCR this summer. Started here in St Louis early am, camped in WY that night (998 mi) made it thru the Big Horns, Chief Joseph, and Bear Tooth the next day. Finished 1500 mi with 90 minutes to spare..
I still haven't submitted it yet.
Switched bikes this week. I traded the LT for a GSA. Hopefully, I can still run a 1,000 mile day as easy as I could with a LT..
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #14 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 5:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
When your ride is certified you will be a genuine IBA Mile Eater. According to the IBA definition that's anyone crazy enough to do more than one ride. Probably less than one in ten IBA members ever do.
And if you're certifiably insane, you can go for the Mile Eater Gold club, which is 20 certified IronButt rides with about half of those being Extreme rides. Come to think of it, I may be getting close to that myself . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 5:27 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Nice ride report, Andy. Glad to see that you still have it in you.

You can get truly waterproof gloves, but they usually don't breathe very well. Also, the problem comes when taking them on/off at fuel stops when everything is wet. I really hate it when the inner liners pull out then you can't get your now wet hands back in them.

One option for food is many small snacks along the way. Sometimes I'll make up several sandwiches ahead of time and just grab one at a fuel stop. Or on a multi-day ride, I'll get Subway to make me a couple foot-longs and cut/wrap them in thirds so I can easily grab a small portion. I also have a cheap fanny pack bag tied to my handlebars that holds a few granola bars or equivalent and some hard candies. Easy enough to grab and eat while riding, and the sour lemon candies are a refreshing jolt in the wee little hours. I also added a couple of 3 liter jugs to the bike, one for water and the other for tea or gatorade so I always have fluids available. A CamelBak works just as well for most folks.

And as you mentioned, the safest/smartest thing you can do is to listen to what your body is telling you. If you get tired, then stop. If you get hungry/thirsty, then eat/drink. If you get cold, then you probably just need better gear.

And above all, don't forget to enjoy the ride.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 9:04 pm

Way to go Andy! Congrats on the ride AND doing it on a Burgman! Great job!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #17 of 19 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:39 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Now being back in Houston, I have to add one thing: The burger is going to get two upgrades that are in dire need:

a) a seat (by Rick Mayer)
b) a cruise control. I have seen a cruise control sometime in the past but forgot where that was. The cruise control the THE thing I missed most.

Yesterday was the most pleasant day of the 4 days on the bike. Left Atalanta at 6AM local, arrived in Houston at 8PM local. Nice and balmy at 80F once I was at the coast (I10)

Driving back on home I took a slightly different route and first went south on I95, just because I have never been there before. But MAN, you guys have some TINY states up there. Riding on I95 if you blink you missed a state or two.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #18 of 19 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:13 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
According to the IBA definition that's anyone crazy enough to do more than one ride. Probably less than one in ten IBA members ever do.
Pretty good guess! Just looked at the mile-eaters listed on the IBA website and copied some info into Excel.

There are 2,794 people listed as "mile-eaters". Per IBA website, there are currently approximately 34,000 IBA members, however, it usually takes someone a year or two (or even longer) before they make their second ride. In September 2006, there were approximately 24,000 IBA members (I know this because my son and I completed a SS1000 then). So...assuming a two-year lag: 2,794 / 24,000 = 11.6%!

And, fwiw -these 2,794 people averaged 3.3 rides each.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #19 of 19 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 4:25 pm

Good job, not sure I could do that on the bergman from the feel of my arse after long trips on the LT. Maybe its more comfy.

I'm not sure why ya'll do this on purpose though. I ride hard sometimes but mostly cause I need to, if I'm traveling for work and all.

Its ok I suppose, but I like to keep it under 1k/day when possible. Probably just getting old, everything hurts but can't let that get in the way too much. No IBA's for this kid though!

Rode from bloomfield, MN to Phoenix in 2 days (the 1800 mile route) last week and I wasn't worth much on sunday!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in