Four corners of America tour - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Four corners of America tour

Has anyone on this site ever taken a four corners of America tour. You know, Seattle, San Diego, Miami, Main and back?

Years ago while on a canyon lands tour I shared a campsite in Zion N.P. with a young japanese fellow on a V-Max. He did not speak much english but I was able to understand from him that he was heading for LA to finish up a four corners tour. When he reached LA he would have put on something like 10K miles. in a month. Both he and the V-Max looked a bit worse for wear.

I always thought it would be fun to do. It's just really hard to get away from work and family for a month.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 3:48 pm
Ted

Re: Four corners of America tour

Hi Larry -

I know someone who did it in 2003 - took him 19 days and travelled approximately 8,500 miles (he lives in San Diego). Said he had a great trip!

Like you, I want to do it but don't have that kind of time to devote right now. That's why earlier this year I did an Iron Butt 50CC, which took less than 6 days.

Another intriguing ride to consider is the Iron Butt 48 States in 10 days.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ted; Oct 15th, 2008 at 4:13 pm.
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 3:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Karen and I did it a few years back....(not the official iron Butt 4-corners)
only got as far south as Georgia though........
9,000 miles that summer

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 4:17 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Karen and I did it a few years back....(not the official iron Butt 4-corners)
Just to clarify - the "official" Four Corners ride is through the Southern California Motorcycling Association .

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #5 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Just to clarify - the "official" Four Corners ride is through the Southern California Motorcycling Association .
........................and it's not Seattle, San Diego, Miami, and Maine. It's in any order: Madawaska, Maine; Key West, Florida; San Ysidro, California; and Blaine, Washington in 21 days or less for the officially sponsored SCMA event. My brother and I tied for "First Finishers" of 2003 with another guy from Texas. Took us 9 days.

Bill Edwards
Universal City, Texas
'75 R75/6
'99 K1200 LT
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Thumbs up Re: Four corners of America tour

Yes, Last year in August. I did the four corner. My Work site was reluctant to give me the month off, But I pouted big time and even cried a little. I also reminded them that another individual was in the habit of taking 6 weeks to return to India every other year and they finally relented. i have been meaning to put a record in the travel section but have been unable to do so yet.
I did the actual four corner in 16 days. Spent two days in Orlando at my nieces wedding, and a couple days in southern CA at my sisters. Replaced tires in Eugene, OR got ripped off on service at Orlando, BMW. SO flew out to kids near Eugene and rode back northern route with me. Because of all the rain we went more South on I-70. Most of the trip was on SuperSlab and the next time will probably take the full allowed 21 days and see more of this Country.
The bike ran great, but might get an after market Seat and lower foot pegs, though the Mick-o-pegs were a good variety for leg positions.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

I was not really talking about the official tour. I live in the SF area and could go clockwise or counter clockwise. I would rather go to SD first. My route would be around 9600 miles passing through places that I want go like Hiawatha KS where my father was born.

I would take about 26 days but with many days stopped here and there. I am only good for about 500 miles a day so I don't think I am up for 48 states in 10 days. My hat is off to those of you that can though.

Larry
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 11:26 pm

I'm planning on running the four corners in August 2009. I'll take any advice anyone has on this subject, such as best routes, hotels etc.......

2005 K1200 LT Blue

2002 K1200 LT Black
BMWMOA Number: 137587
Shawn Rolison
Atlanta, Georgia
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 12:05 am

I have completed two Iron Butt Saddle-Sore events (1,000 mi/24 hours) and am intrigued by some of the longer distance and time tours and rallies. Not sure what I'll tackle next. I can get the time off, and I can scrounge up some gas and camping money. Its the family issue that stops me.

"Momma don't allow no motorcycle riding 'round here" goes the song at our home. How is it we so often end up partners with such differing interests?

Well, I am not giving up. I'll just have to work out some sort of compromise with SWMBO. Not impossible, but it may cost me some furniture, or the price of sending her to Wisconsin to meditate for a week or two with the spiritualists Have to be OK, 'cause I am not getting any younger, and the road calls me. Gotta go ride while I still can, right?

To each his (her) own I suppose.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #10 of 14 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 1:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
I have completed two Iron Butt Saddle-Sore events (1,000 mi/24 hours) and am intrigued by some of the longer distance and time tours and rallies. Not sure what I'll tackle next. I can get the time off, and I can scrounge up some gas and camping money. Its the family issue that stops me.

"Momma don't allow no motorcycle riding 'round here" goes the song at our home. How is it we so often end up partners with such differing interests?

Well, I am not giving up. I'll just have to work out some sort of compromise with SWMBO. Not impossible, but it may cost me some furniture, or the price of sending her to Wisconsin to meditate for a week or two with the spiritualists Have to be OK, 'cause I am not getting any younger, and the road calls me. Gotta go ride while I still can, right?

To each his (her) own I suppose.
Bob, that song sounds so familiar, I wonder where I have heard it before. Your last two sentences say it all. Good luck with collecting the gas money and getting out for that next long ride.
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Yes, family is a bigger problem than work at this point. I could probably get the four weeks off as long as I gave them a year notice. My wife was predictably cool on the idea but did not outright say no. Perhaps because she does not think I'm serious. Most people I have talked to, including other motorcyclists do not understand why I would even want to do that.

Larry
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 2:52 pm
Gold Supporter

I have done the Four Corners trip four times and I high hopes I can do it again. The first couple of times I did it Ironbutt as fast as I could, then I realized I was not smelling the roses, so the next two times I took my time and loved it. There are some pretty boring places in this country and there are some that will flat out scare the crap out of you (especially up in the north eastern seaboard area ) but if my recent surgery did for my neck what the doctor claimed it would, I will be doing the trip again. I did them with a bunch of Blue Knights and we usually camped, but once or twice I just had to feel clean sheets around me. Next time I do it the camping will be in the form of a Super 8 or Best Western.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #13 of 14 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
(especially up in the north eastern seaboard area )
I'm sure you knew this would be coming... What's so scary about the Northeastern seaboard area?

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 3:26 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
I'm sure you knew this would be coming... What's so scary about the Northeastern seaboard area?
All of the cages being driven by D.W.H.U.A.

And on top of that, what is the longest distance between toll booths up there...75 yards?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in