Urgent Help Needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Question Urgent Help Needed

I am stuck with a dilemma, I have to move across the US from Virginia to Illinois. I have to get a mover to pack our housewhole goods and ship it there, I can have my K1200lt sent with the rest but have to Crate it up. What I need is a Brace that will fit on the Frame that is under the Rider seat. I have seen this support that is used to hold the Bike in a upright position. Can anyone help with this matter. If you have this item and willing to let me use it that would be very helpful and I can get it back to you.
I have been dealing with Cancer since January 07, so I get tired and I do have a wife and son to move and a vehicle. I would like to ride there but then something has to stay behind and that will not happen. I can build a good crate but the strapping down is the kicker. I have seen a picture of what I want, it will help keep it in the upright position and safe with my crate.

Last edited by brownie; Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Re: Urgent Help Needed

Across the US? Dude, it's only 600 miles; I rode 200 miles farther than that in a day coming home from CCR.

What kind of crate or pallete are you using to tie the bike down to? You would probably be better off securing it from the front forks and the rear subframe or such. Here's a link to a post in the Hall of Wisdom on tying down LTs. There's a link to the strongback device there as well if you're sold on using that.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie
I am stuck with a dilemma, I have to move across the US from Virginia to Illinois. I have to .
I am sorry you have to move to Illinois!!!

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:47 pm

How about getting one of the shipping crates BMW uses to ship LT to dealer? Dealer may even be able to crate it for you, at a cost no doubt. If you are doing a company move, company may even pick up the cost. Safe, secure and the mover would have no problem shipping on their truck. My understanding is that the dealer just throws them out. Less likely to get any damage that way.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry

oknplm
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:50 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
I am stuck with a dilemma, I have to move across the US from Virginia to Illinois. I have to get a mover to pack our housewhole goods and ship it there, I can have my K1200lt sent with the rest but have to Crate it up. What I need is a Brace that will fit on the Frame that is under the Rider seat. I have seen this support that is used to hold the Bike in a upright position. Can anyone help with this matter. If you have this item and willing to let me use it that would be very helpful and I can get it back to you.
I would not have a house mover take a bike like an LT. Too much chance for expensive damage. Contact a bike carrier.

These guys are my favorite - http://www.eagleoneexpress.com/

Had good service from these guys too - http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/

If you want a cheaper alternative try this - http://www.uship.com/

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:53 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
How about getting one of the shipping crates BMW uses to ship LT to dealer? Dealer may even be able to crate it for you, at a cost no doubt. If you are doing a company move, company may even pick up the cost. Safe, secure and the mover would have no problem shipping on their truck. My understanding is that the dealer just throws them out. Less likely to get any damage that way
They're really disposable I wouldn't reuse one. Besides, an LT with it's shield, mirrors and trunk won't fit back in one anyway. Way too much hassle.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #7 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Get someone from this forum to ride the bike for you and pay all expenses, including a plane ticket

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 11:00 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Get someone from this forum to ride the bike for you and pay all expenses, including a plane ticket
I'll do it

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #9 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by zippy_gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I'll do it
but I'm closer.

I build a cradle out of 2x6's and 2x4's and moved mine from Sacramento to Austin TX and put it on a budget rental truck and drove. When I arrived the bike was slighty tipping to one side in the cradle.

Your problem is different. Use a bike moving Co or have someone ride it.

Good luck and best wishes.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 8:44 am

Quote:
I have been dealing with Cancer since January 07, so I get tired and I do have a wife and son to move and a vehicle. I would like to ride there but then something has to stay behind and that will not happen. I can build a good crate but the strapping down is the kicker. I have seen a picture of what I want, it will help keep it in the upright position and safe with my crate.
Just ride it. My older brother had a house moving company move his Triumph. They got it to the new location then he watched them drop it off the back of the truck iright in front of him.

Its not worth the hassle of dealing with a moving company. Plus, the insurance they have will only pay pennies on the dollar for any damage done to it.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 9:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Nobody has asked the question, "Can you rent a trailer, tie it down in the trailer, and tow it yourself?"
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 9:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Nobody has asked the question, "Can you rent a trailer, tie it down in the trailer, and tow it yourself?"
What the fun in that?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 9:29 am

What part of Illinois are you moving to?
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 10:13 am

When I bought my bike off this site I had the seller take it to his local dealer, had a bike shipping company pick it up there and drop it at my local dealer. Both dealers were helpful and it was little hassle on my part.

Don't know how close your dealers are on each end but maybe any bike shop would act as pick-up/drop-off point if you asked. Several shippers are referenced in this thread and a quick google will offer more. The rub with most of them I contacted was the extra expense to pick-up and drop-off at a residence. The dealer solved that problem and lowered the overall cost to me.

Hope whatever you end up doing works out well for you.

Good luck.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #15 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 3:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Don't know what it cost for the shipper to do it, but I'm sure it would get there in better shape via the asphalt, with a rider in the seat.

Get me to the bike and I'd be happy to ride it out for you..........

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 4:35 pm

Garage

I would ride it. It has to be more comfortable than my RT (the seat is a torture device) and I would definately ride as opposed to risking it being damaged durring shipment.
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Giong to the Decatur, Blue Mound area, my dad, sister and family livein Blue Mound
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 8:00 am

If you're not gonna ride it, get an enclosed U-Haul trailer and take it. More peace of mind than letting someone else "handle" it. I did this on our move from NC to Miami (because I chose to do my own move and had to drive a large U-Haul- wife was driving her vehicle). Just make sure you tie herr down good.
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:12 pm

When do you need it transported? I travel to Virginia quite a bit and was just through Gloucester this past week. Might be able to work something out if you are interested. Just need to get back to Atlanta area from Illinois.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2008, 9:57 am

Ride it , big daddy.

It's beautiful now with trees changing.

Who's wrath did you incur that sentenced you to Illinois?

Seriously though , I'll ride it for you .I live in Indiana and would be happy to do it.
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2008, 9:49 pm

Hell, I will come down and ride it to Illinois for you. Just pay me for the plane ticket and i will do it. I am avaialable a lot of the time as I am just about full time retired. But, let's do it soon, as the cold weather is coming soon. Sounds like a long day or two ride.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 7:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Hell, I will come down and ride it to Illinois for you. Just pay me for the plane ticket and i will do it. I am avaialable a lot of the time as I am just about full time retired. But, let's do it soon, as the cold weather is coming soon. Sounds like a long day or two ride.
+1 (well, except for the retired part - you luck dog! ) - Let me know if I can help.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in