RV motorcycle carrier - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

RV motorcycle carrier

Anyone have any knowledge/experience with carrying their LT (or other large motorcycles) on a motorcycle carrier on the back of an RV? Specific carriers that are good or bad? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Re: RV motorcycle carrier

there was an rv up the street from me for a week with an lt on the back,i drove by a few times never saw anyone around,so i couldnt ask him any questions,but from the looks of the carrier you ride up on it and im sure there was a way to tie it down
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:47 pm

I've got this exact same Eagle Lift - but wider - mounted on the back of my one ton flatbed. I've used it several times to carry my LT. Mine has a beveled ramp which makes it fairly easy to roll it up on the gate. I can do it by myself - but a helper is nice. Mine is rated at 1600 lbs. which is double the weight of the LT. I wouldn't go with anything less. All you would need is a stout wheel chock like the Condor and some heavy duty tie downs for a permanent carrier.

Oh yeah, it's been in continuous service since 1989 without ever having failed. The only thing I've done is replace the cables with higher capacity ones, replace the pulleys and lube it once in a while.
I lift a 1400 lb. hot air balloon basket on it almost daily - and it groans but always works.

This could be easily mounted on an RV frame with a bit of welding. You would probably need to modify the suspension with at least helper springs and air bags to keep it level...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle Lift.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	19946  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 7th, 2008 at 6:52 pm.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:23 pm

There have been lots of threats on an RV forum I hang out on at times. The issue is the distance from the rear axle of the motor home to the rear-most part of the chassis were you attach the motorcycle lift. The leverage that the bike has on the frame is tremendous on some installations and flys in the face of common sense. For most applications the consensus is that a 2 axle trailer is the preferred mode of transporting a bike.

Why: It puts minimum stress on the RV chassis, it is much easier to back up than a single axle trailer (I have one and is a bear to back it up with a 36 foot motor-home), and it has brakes that put no extra load on the MH brakes.
I followed a class A MH a while back with a Goldwing on a very nice looking bike lift (I believe the brand is called "Overbuild") The gyrations that the bike made when he went over some interstate expansion joints were quite spectacular.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in