LT fuel mileage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

LT fuel mileage

A couple of years ago I averaged about 46-47 mpg in mixed riding. Then I started making a concerted effort to ride at higher rpms (not higher speeds necessarily). I expected to see less fuel efficiency as a trade-off for better performance but I've been averaging in the mid- to high-30s of late.

I thought perhaps it was the ubiquitous ethanol blends so I began buying fuel from a station that sells pure gasoline. No significant change.

The bike has fresh fluids and spark plugs although I have not taken it to the dealer to check faults on the Motronic. I was beginning to wonder is something was amiss, like an O2 sensor or the like.

Last weekend I had to travel about 100 miles for a work related meeting. Pretty much an Interstate ride door-to-door. Boring, so on the way down I found a secondary road. While on that trip, just for fun, I reset the trip computer and rode several long stretches in 5th gear with the cruise control on. I found out that the bike is still capable of pretty efficient flight under these conditions.

At 65 mph I averaged just over 50 miles per gallon.

At what seemed like a very poky 60 mph on a secondary road it was reading about 60 mpg. I found that hard to believe but then again I don't know how long I can lope along in 5th gear at that speed. I wonder what it would do at 50 or 55 but I might fall asleep during the experiment.

At 70 mph on the way back (on the Interstate), I averaged about 48 mpg. I was a little low on fuel and it brought me home without another fuel stop.

I enjoy how the bike performs at higher rpms but I hate to think I'm losing at least 10 mpg for the privilege.

Has anyone else seen swings in fuel mileage to this extent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 4:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: LT fuel mileage

Yes, I've noticed the fuel economy changes pretty dramatically from 65 mph to 80 mph. Fortunately, so does the fun factor.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 4:28 pm

My experience is find the sweet spot for your particular engine and drive train.

For my RT it is about 3800 rpm in sixth; That will yield up to 57 with Texaco and up to 54 with Shell and about 52 with QT. I discovered this during the recent outages where I began using alternates to the cheaper and convenient QT pumps.

Now obviously weather and the type of trip , but I'm talking about maximums and cruising down the slab max yields. Add a brisk mountain trip in the mix and my average is going to drop on down in the high forties but even so rarely below 48 unless I've been flogging it with two on board.

Oh crap I just noticed this was for LT mileage. What a dummy

No matter where you go , there you are.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Started driving the LT at 4k pretty much all the time since I bought it. Consistently averaging 43 MPG. Took two long interstate rides for five hours at 75+ mph, got 48 MPG.

Then, one day I started riding 5k-6.5k+ RPM's. Started to enjoy that! That brought the mileage down to 41. For the little I can afford to ride, I will enjoy the higher RPM's now and again. For the most part, I stick with the 4k range and the average 43. Been nice to know how this performed when it was new.
Now has 47k.
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 7:43 pm

I just took my first trip with my new '09 that had extended highway miles involved. Running 75 mph (gps speed) all I could get was 40 mpg. Now, running secondary roads in Arkansas between 40 and 60 mph I saw between 47 and 50 mpg. I was solo and moderately loaded. The windshield was only up about 1 to 2 inches from the full down position. The bike has about 3500 miles on it. Is this about the best I can expect for highway mileage? I've read that a number of folks with '05 and newer bikes are getting significantly better mileage. At 75 mph the engine's turning exactly 4000 rpm. If there's better mileage to be had I'd like some for myself. Am I normal as is or can more be had from my new beast?

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Mid to high 30's seems too low to me!

Even when I beat the He$$ out of her, I'm in the high 30's, low 40's.

Are you sure you aint got no "corn-squeezings" in your gas?

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARK
I just took my first trip with my new '09 that had extended highway miles involved. Running 75 mph (gps speed) all I could get was 40 mpg. Now, running secondary roads in Arkansas between 40 and 60 mph I saw between 47 and 50 mpg. I was solo and moderately loaded. The windshield was only up about 1 to 2 inches from the full down position. The bike has about 3500 miles on it. Is this about the best I can expect for highway mileage? I've read that a number of folks with '05 and newer bikes are getting significantly better mileage. At 75 mph the engine's turning exactly 4000 rpm. If there's better mileage to be had I'd like some for myself. Am I normal as is or can more be had from my new beast?

Wow , you got an OH NINE ?? First one I've read about

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx
Wow , you got an OH NINE ?? First one I've read about
Plenty of 'em out there as long as you like blue or black, we've already had a couple 09's in the shop for mods. Last of the line 'cause they've officially stopped production according to my beer drinkin' buds in Munich. I here tell we'll only have a 1600RT to choose from in the future and that would be a shame. Unless they make it a straight 6!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 7:56 am

My 04, I consistently get in the high 30's to about 40 MPG. The only time I went over that was on a non-stop country road through Vermont on the way back from a recent trip which brought me into the mid 40's.

By what I read, this is low (I always felt this way, also). How can I ensure I get the best mileage possible?

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist

Last edited by razman10; Oct 7th, 2008 at 9:31 am. Reason: Spelling
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
My 04, I consistently get in the high 30's to about 40 MPG. The onloy time I wend over that was on a non-stop country road through Vermont on the way back from a recent trip which brought me into the mid 40's.

By what I read, this is low (I always felt this way, also). How can I ensure I get the best mileage possible?
I would start with a quick read out of the motronic, you should be able to sweet talk your dealer into doing this for free. A valve check would be in order too. If they are out of spec this will kill mileage. Oh yeah, make sure your fuel line quick connects aren't leaking - you can usually smell them long before they fail.

If everything is good there throw in new air and fuel filters, a fresh set of plugs and a new Bosch O2 sensor you can buy at an auto parts store for a fraction of what BMW wants... Full synthetic oil can't hurt either. Keep those tires aired up to 42 and 48 and the wind shield lower than full up position. Put on a fresh coat of wax.

None of this will most likely help - but hey - you'll FEEL better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 9:38 am

Thanks Ron,

I will be doing most of that stuff over the winter - I was going to do it all anyway. (The end of the riding season is approaching - it was 35 degrees this morning - talk about brisk - but I figure I still have at least another month or so.)

If the mileage doesn't change come spring, I'll take it to the stealer and have them put it on the Motronic.

Ray "Razman"

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 9:43 am

Quote:
Thanks Ron,

I will be doing most of that stuff over the winter - I was going to do it all anyway. (The end of the riding season is approaching - it was 35 degrees this morning - talk about brisk - but I figure I still have at least another month or so.)

If the mileage doesn't change come spring, I'll take it to the stealer and have them put it on the Motronic.
Yep, getting cold here too. Why, it was down to 59 this morning! Coldest it's been in 6 months! BRRRRRrrrrr...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:03 am

Quote:
My 04, I consistently get in the high 30's to about 40 MPG. The only time I went over that was on a non-stop country road through Vermont on the way back from a recent trip which brought me into the mid 40's.

My '02 gets 43-45 mpg if I am on country roads going below about 55 mph.
Interstates at 75 mph or above brings me down to 36-37 mpg.
42F and 48R tire pressure, I weigh 275lbs. at 6'-10" tall and I have a HUGE Cee Baileys windshield. Midwest riding mostly, so my gas has corn squeezins' in it.

Best mileage? No faster than 45 mph.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Yep, getting cold here too. Why, it was down to 59 this morning! Coldest it's been in 6 months! BRRRRRrrrrr...
Ahhh... Summertime!!

That'll be our high for today!!!

Ray "Razman"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in