Bouncer

New K-Bikes to be introduced next week

2009 BMW K1300GT first pics
New for 2009, check out the first pictures of BMW's new K1300GT - 6/10/08
2009 BMW K1300R first pics
Official images of BMW's 173bhp naked roadster - 6/10/08
2009 BMW K1300S first pics
Check out the first official images of BMW's new supertourer - 6/10/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 7:28 am

Re: New K-Bikes to be introduced next week

Doesnt look like much changed. Stroked engine for more HP and a speed limiter on the GT? A little counter intuitive. Why add HP only to slow it down.

I never thought the 1200's were slow.. I guess BMW has to keep up with the competitors.

Anything new on the next generation LT?
post #3 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 7:34 am

Red face Re: New K-Bikes to be introduced next week

I wonder if they paid anymore attention to that final drive design?

post #4 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 8:19 am

Quote:
Nobody is forcing them to make a change to the FD design, Why should they,
It would cut down on repair sales.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 9:31 am
Gold Supporter

Is there some sort of problem with the Final Drive on BMW scoots?

When I was a kid I had a 60 Dodge Seneca with an in-line six. It was my first car and I can remember my dad test driving it. Seemed to have okay acceleration for a Sherman Tank with a hamster for a motor, but when I got my license and started driving it I couldn't get above 70 mph, which was the speed limit back then and almost got me killed. Took shop class and my teacher opened the hood and showed me the problem. My dad had slapped a govener on it. After some mods it was running like it should again, or maybe even a little better, and my dad was never aware.

With all that said, what the hell is a "Speed Limiter" and why is it on a GT? I am just wondering if my dad went to work for BMW and I didn't know it.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #6 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
With all that said, what the hell is a "Speed Limiter" and why is it on a GT?
Growing up, I drove my Mom's Buick Park Avenue a lot. That car had a little needle that you could set inside of the speedo that would sound an alarm when you reached that speed. I really liked that feature as it kept me aware of when I was reaching "the ticket zone". I'm hoping that this "Speed Limiter" is the modern version of that feature. It might be kinda cool to be able to manually set a speed limit so that you don't have to watch your speed every two seconds.

If it is a true speed limiter ... I don't know WHAT they are thinking!
post #7 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
With what the new prices are going to be due to the weak dollar, BMW needs to make sure that you can make the payments and not have to spend all of your money on performance awards and higher insurance costs.

Just my 4 cents.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #8 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 12:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_nj1
Anything new on the next generation LT?
Same question - any rumors, spy shots, hallucinations, etc. about a new LT?!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #9 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 12:48 pm

I see they have changed the pots for the brake and clutch fluids and also the turn signal is now the traditional way and not the BMW way.

Personally, with the economy in Europe and the US the way they are, I can´t see BMW introducing any new expensive bikes for quite a while yet.

I hope I am wrong.
post #10 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 5:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Growing up, I drove my Mom's Buick Park Avenue a lot. That car had a little needle that you could set inside of the speedo that would sound an alarm when you reached that speed. I really liked that feature as it kept me aware of when I was reaching "the ticket zone". I'm hoping that this "Speed Limiter" is the modern version of that feature. It might be kinda cool to be able to manually set a speed limit so that you don't have to watch your speed every two seconds.

Our '69 Buick LeSabre had the same thing. That's funny -- I haven't thought of that gadget in many years. It was strictly an audible speed warning, not a cruise control. So with the GT, would it be "on" as soon as the bike is put in gear?

If the GT does have a speed limiter I predict a future Hall of Wisdom contribution from some techno-capable folks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 6:11 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Don't count on it.

I'm glad to say that my GT survived the LOE/1000 Rally this weekend. Some friends of mine weren't so lucky. Their '07 GT came back on a flatbed with the cam chain making a huge racket. They were on track with a top-three score, too. And this after they were forced to drop out of another rally last month with a Final Drive failure. They are not pleased, and I think they have drunk their last Kool-Aid.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Don't count on it.

I'm glad to say that my GT survived the LOE/1000 Rally this weekend. Some friends of mine weren't so lucky. Their '07 GT came back on a flatbed with the cam chain making a huge racket. They were on track with a top-three score, too. And this after they were forced to drop out of another rally last month with a Final Drive failure. They are not pleased, and I think they have drunk their last Kool-Aid.
Congrats on your high finish Ken!

Sorry about your friends problems.

I keep telling myself this but next year I'm really going to put the LOE on my damn schedule...

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #13 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff

With all that said, what the hell is a "Speed Limiter" and why is it on a GT?

Perhaps the same limiter that has been on the Hayabusa since 2000 and installed on many other big bore sportbikes since. It kicks in @ 186 mph help keep things sane. As if 186 on the street could be considered sane.

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
post #14 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Frankly, I don't care for the "vent" on the side of the fairing for the new K1300GT. Butt-ugly and just ruins the lines of the bike. But, maybe it'll grow on me?

I'm VERY satisfied with my 1200.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 9:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Frankly, I don't care for the "vent" on the side of the fairing for the new K1300GT. Butt-ugly and just ruins the lines of the bike. But, maybe it'll grow on me?

I'm VERY satisfied with my 1200.
Speculation on my part, but I'm guessing the designers had to give K1300GT owners some way to have their new models stand out - visually - from the previous GT.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #16 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:21 pm

As these pictures show, the K1300 is a radical change from the K1200. The final drive is on the wrong side for one thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cadre_K.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	19929   Click image for larger version

Name:	transmission_K.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	19930   Click image for larger version

Name:	moteur_K.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	19931  

Jeff Carlton
Lonoke, AR
'02 K1200LT Champagne
BMWMOA #143069
post #17 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCandEA
As these pictures show, the K1300 is a radical change from the K1200. The final drive is on the wrong side for one thing.

Is that so? The final drive on my '07 K1200GT was on the LEFT side (same as the pics) the last time I looked.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #18 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 7:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper
Perhaps the same limiter that has been on the Hayabusa since 2000 and installed on many other big bore sportbikes since. It kicks in @ 186 mph help keep things sane. As if 186 on the street could be considered sane.
If I'm not mistaken, Japan has a "top speed limit" of 300 kph (186 MPH) on all the sportbikes by law. The speed limiter is easily defeated if so desired.

Why anyone feels the need to go over 186MPH without being on a track is beyond me.....

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #19 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 8:27 am

What's an electric fairing?

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #20 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 8:41 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
What's an electric fairing?
Just another term for an electric windscreen - same stuff as yours.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #21 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 8:49 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
If I'm not mistaken, Japan has a "top speed limit" of 300 kph (186 MPH) on all the sportbikes by law. The speed limiter is easily defeated if so desired.

Why anyone feels the need to go over 186MPH without being on a track is beyond me.....
BMW electronically limits the speed on their automobiles depending on the tires. The top speed of the M series is limited to 155 mph - the X3 is limited at either 130 or 142 depending on the tires. The 3-series sedans are limited to 130 or 150 depending on the tires. I think you will see the speed limiter on the bikes in the 130-160mph region.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #22 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 8:56 am

Hmmm - nothing there I'd walk accross the street to look at, let alone pay $0.05 for...
post #23 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
BMW electronically limits the speed on their automobiles depending on the tires. The top speed of the M series is limited to 155 mph...
I have generally thought all this speed limiting stuff was silly and a moot point for U.S. driving, i.e., who on earth would actually get going that fast on U.S. streets/highways anyway?

That was until I got an M5 last year. I seldom get a chance to stomp on it, but when I do (e.g., passing someone on a two lane highway), I suddenly find myself at 120 or 130 before I know what's happened. If I had the limiter removed (which tuners can apparently do quite easily) and kept my foot on the gas, I've no doubt I could be at 200 a few seconds later (top speed when not limited is 205mph). That has given me a new perspective on this issue.

With some of these new bikes (which are even quicker than the M5!), if you put a kid on them who is TRYING to see how fast he can go, he'll get it up to max speed in "no time!" And since he won't be doing it on a track, but on public roads, where those speeds are insanely dangerous, you're just asking for trouble (and hurting/killing other people, not just himself). Hence, I actually think a speed limiter of some sort is perfectly reasonable. Relatively few people are going to pay to have it removed, so it will keep lots of speed freaks from endangering the rest of us.

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #24 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 2:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Yep. My '61 LeSabre had that too. Along with a very trick mirror image speedo that you read in a mirror on the dash that was adjustable for angle. Loved that old girl...

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #25 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 2:14 pm

Quote from an Australian BMW news release

"A new shaft drive system is claimed to improve durability and in conjunction with a newly optimised Duolever front suspension offer a much smoother ride than ever before. "

Site - http://www.mcnews.com.au/2009_Bikes/...GT/Intro_1.htm

Click late breaking news - Lots of pictures as well.

Steve
Olympia

Quote:
post #26 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 3:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Speculation on my part, but I'm guessing the designers had to give K1300GT owners some way to have their new models stand out - visually - from the previous GT.
Agreed, the same as they did with the '05 LTs. Apparently, there are a few snobbish BMW owners out there that care about such things. Who knew?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #27 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 3:31 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I think you will see the speed limiter on the bikes in the 130-160mph region.
My '07 is limited to 150 mph. Best I could get on the GPS was 149.8 mph, on a miles-long arrow straight road with a slight downhill. That was fully loaded with the large AeroFlow windshield and a 49L trunk. Um, I meant on a carefully supervised track day, with all safety features in place. I mean, you just can't do those kinds of speeds on a public road. Not even in Nevada.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #28 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
Isn't "fast" a relative term? There are many out there that would edit your statement to say "100MPH".

I don't need to go faster than 186, I just want to. Another way of looking at it is: I don't need to go faster than 186MPH, but I would like to get there in less than 20 seconds.

Would I actually go that fast?
Yes.
Umm . . . on a closed track, of course.
post #29 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Don't count on it.

Have them contact Hans. He'll explain and extoll the virtues of the bike's superb weather protection.....

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #30 of 39 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Isn't "fast" a relative term? There are many out there that would edit your statement to say "100MPH".

I don't need to go faster than 186, I just want to. Another way of looking at it is: I don't need to go faster than 186MPH, but I would like to get there in less than 20 seconds.

Would I actually go that fast?
Yes.
Umm . . . on a closed track, of course.
I wish I could find a closed track that I could ring my GT out on (well maybe not completely, but I'd love to play with it without meeting new LEOs). How do you find one?

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #31 of 39 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 1:42 pm

I like the side vent, it breaks up the slab sidedness. I'm a little disappointed in the color choices (again!)

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #32 of 39 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 5:08 pm

......and did you notice "The K 1300 GT benefits from protectors which have been integrated into the side sections to reduce the risk of damage should the machine fall over."
Wonder if this can be retro-fitted onto the newer K1200 GTs? We have a couple of friends that could've benefitted from this.
Running and ducking now.....

Rango Springer
Dumas, TX
2000 K1200LTC Champagne
Livin' life in the fast lane on the high plains of West Texas!
post #33 of 39 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrango
......and did you notice "The K 1300 GT benefits from protectors which have been integrated into the side sections to reduce the risk of damage should the machine fall over."
Wonder if this can be retro-fitted onto the newer K1200 GTs? We have a couple of friends that could've benefitted from this.
Running and ducking now.....
Who could you possibly mean????

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #34 of 39 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:48 pm

Quote:
Yes, changes there, also standard indicator switch on the K1300S.
Ian
post #35 of 39 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:54 pm

Also:
ESA (2), Electronically adjustable 2nd generation suspension,
New Two-Level Cardan Shaft.
Ian
post #36 of 39 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 8:40 am

Quote:
I wish I could find a closed track that I could ring my GT out on (well maybe not completely, but I'd love to play with it without meeting new LEOs). How do you find one?
In your state , Roebling Road near Savannah has regular track days sponsored by various clubs . They have track days up here at Road Atlanta as well for cars and I would imagine for bikes as well but I've been out of the loop for some time on racing. You can look up Track Days in Georgia and see what pops up.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #37 of 39 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Track day at Roebling (20 miles from Savannah Georgia) Monday Nov. 3:

http://www.roeblingroad.com/

http://usdesmo.com/pdf/USD_RRTrackDay2_08.pdf
http://usdesmo.com/pdf/USD_CMPTrackDayReg2.pdf

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #38 of 39 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayGee
Thanks Keith,
My November work schedule has not been posted yet, but I saved the links. Looks like it would be lots of fun, but it looks like I'd need to get more sophisticated riding gear. Not sure I understand the no antifreeze statement. Does that mean I'd have to drain the cooling system in order to run my GT on the track?

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #39 of 39 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx
In your state , Roebling Road near Savannah has regular track days sponsored by various clubs . They have track days up here at Road Atlanta as well for cars and I would imagine for bikes as well but I've been out of the loop for some time on racing. You can look up Track Days in Georgia and see what pops up.
Thanks Ray,

Road Atlanta would be much closer and easier to plan for. I'll check it out.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in