Hip and back spasms - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Hip and back spasms

The last few times Ive been out to ride my K LT Ive gotten painful hip and back spasms. Ive had them before on other bikes in fact its the only reason I cant ride a newer Gold Wing or any Harley tour bike. I thought the K-1200 LT had more room but the cramps and spasms start when I'm caught in heavy stop and go traffic. Would a new seat fix this problem or do I have something else going on?

2003 K1200 LT E ( Traded )
1976 Suzuki Gt 185 Adventurer ( Sold )
1982 Kawasaki Ltd 440 ( Leaking oil on shed floor )
1967 Sears Sr 250 (Puch) ( Needs new points )
1996 Kawasaki Ex 250
When I cant ride-
2000 Elgin Pelican
1996 Case 621B
2004 John Deere 624J
2005 Ford Ranger 2wd
Life is short....Ride every thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Re: Hip and back spasms

I've had good luck with custom seats and on the LT, a back rest. Depending on your build, a foot peg relocating kit may help. On the seat, if you can ride in and let them adjust the seat for you it makes a big difference. If the problem is your back you might give spinal decompression a try. For me, the result was better than straight chiropractic and the results last longer (it isn't cheap).
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

I'm 6'3" and weigh 212. Ive got the seat adjusted to the high setting. I thought about peg relocation and Bob's BMW has that item in stock. I have J-pegs on my Lt but today I had to pull my foot quickly off the J-peg to hit the rear break and I went into an instant hip and leg spasm. It fun trying to operate a heavy bike with a leg locked up. If I try and aftermarket seat do they come with the heater hook-ups or do I loose em? I really hope its not a spine problem, I really don't want to have to give up riding. Ill give up my heavy equipment position before I give up riding.

1996 Kawasaki Ex 250
When I cant ride-
2000 Elgin Pelican
1996 Case 621B
2004 John Deere 624J
2005 Ford Ranger 2wd

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Several years ago when I was heavy into riding my bicycle and the LT I experienced severe pain in my hips-to the point of not being able to sleep on the affected side. I finally started doing exercises to stretch the piriformis muscle and the pain went away in a few days. The most effective stretch for me is to put lie on your back and bend your knees. Place the ankle on the affected side on top of the opposite knee. Gently pull pack on the knee on the affected side-hold for 30 seconds and repeat 3-4 times. Do this several times per day.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 9:26 pm

1. Put the seat in the lower position and see what happens
2. Teeter Hang Up for back decompression
3. Stretching exercises

Had severe butt and upper thigh pain while riding an RT. Since I am tall I had the saddle in the highest position. After a bunch of money for a new seat and some analysis of the pain I realized the seat was too high causing the back of my leg where it went over the edge of the seat to be compressed too much. Lowering the seat solved the problem and had I figured it out sooner I wouldn't have spent the money on a custom seat

I use a Teeter Hang Up to decompress my spine. You don't have to go all the way upside down. In fact my doc recommends against it as it can adversely affect ankle and knee and hip joints. He owns one and uses regularily

Stretching exercises are always a good thing for anyone. And don't forget to drink lots of water as dehydration can cause muscles to spasm and tighten up.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 11:11 pm

Make sure you drink plenty of water and eat a banana or two.

Michael
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 1:09 am

For my two cents worth, I get the most relief from the Back-A-Line back support. CycleGadgets.Com sells them for $50. Worked better than my Cee Baily backrest and Sargent seat w or w/o my J-Pegs.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 5:47 am Thread Starter

Cool. I will definitely give these ideas a try before I spend the money on aftermarket. I do need to exercise as I'm quite the chair loaf when I'M not working or riding. Ill have to keep a water bottle close by through out my day, I never gave it a thought that my pain my be dehydration as I rarely ever feel thirsty unless I'm quite dry. Ill also try lowering the seat too, I alwys thought that I need to raise the seat and kept thinking If " If only I could get it higher". Great ideas! Thanks guys.

1996 Kawasaki Ex 250
When I cant ride-
2000 Elgin Pelican
1996 Case 621B
2004 John Deere 624J
2005 Ford Ranger 2wd
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 6:37 am

I had to give up my GS a few years ago because I just couldn't get it to fit me properly. The low seat twisted my pelvis and put a lot of pressure on my lower back. I've had a very bad lower back problem for about 25 years at which time I had a horse fall on top of me. Now I have pretty bad arthritis in various vertebra. I have done Chiorpratic, accupucture, and hanging upside down. The best thing that has helped me was to learn the proper stretching , exercise, Back-A-Line ( which we sell by the way) and if I do a long ride I'll take some Advil before I take off. I didn't learn the proper stretching until I was evaluated by my local hospital physical therapy department which was recommended by my doctor after a MRI. You really need to be evaluated by a physician and then you'll know how to proceed.
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 7:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'm 6' and 210# and I have had back surgery. I cramped in my hips from time to time but I found stretching and exercising make that a thing of the past for me. If you wait until you're thirsty to drink, that's too late. We all think we get enough exercise but most of us don't. I watch my posture both on and off the bike. Sitting up straight is best for me. The less couch sitting I do, the better I feel..............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in