Rode with a friend who has a Valkyrie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 7:03 am Thread Starter

Rode with a friend who has a Valkyrie

My wife and I took a ride with another couple yesterday. They were on a Valkyrie. It was the longest ride of my life. They refused to even go as fast as the speed limit! It was driving me crazy. At those speeds the LT was getting 55 plus MPG. His bike was getting about 30. Hey, maybe that's why he won't go faster. But really made me wonder about the mileage on a Goldwing. Those big six cylinder engines really do seem to suck up the gas.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 7:08 am

Re: Rode with a friend who has a Valkyrie

I ride with our local chapter of the SCRC sometimes and they ride much the same; it drives me insane.

I enjoy the fellowship with the members though, just can't take the speed (or lack thereof).

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #3 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 8:11 am

We most always ride alone because of speed differences , the crotch rocket lads ride beyond my / their line of sight ,one lad took motion sickness pills before we hit the twisties ! had to sit at the gas station for 30 min as the pill made him fell "funny" WTF .LT friends wife gouges hell out of his ribs when we crack 65MPH. HD boys drown out my radio and do not seem to be able to hang at anything over 75MPH for very long.

Bob G

post #4 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbob
We most always ride alone because of speed differences , the crotch rocket lads ride beyond my / their line of sight ,one lad took motion sickness pills before we hit the twisties ! had to sit at the gas station for 30 min as the pill made him fell "funny" WTF .LT friends wife gouges hell out of his ribs when we crack 65MPH. HD boys drown out my radio and do not seem to be able to hang at anything over 75MPH for very long.

Bob G
LOL. I agree, riding alone is best.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #5 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 9:05 am

Smile Re: Rode with a friend who has a Valkyrie

The SO and I take about three overnight trips a year with a group of work associates (all on Harleys - of course).

Problems:
- 5mph under the speed limit - 10 under in corners
- Stop for gas every hour - 15 minutes spent polishing windshield
- Stop for rain
- Stop for threat of rain
- Stop for butt rest every other hour
- Stop to eat and drink
- Stop to pee every two hours
- Stop to check cell phone messages
- Stop to see if anyone needs to stop

I love them all but a 250 mile day takes at least 10-11 hours averaging less than 28 miles per hour. So the SO and I spend alot of time chatting on the intercom, taking pictures, playing with the GPS, adjusting heated seats and clothing, listening to the CDs, and laying back far enough to take a corner fast enough to smile.
post #6 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 9:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereman
The SO and I take about three overnight trips a year with a group of work associates (all on Harleys - of course).

Problems:
- Stop for rain
- Stop to eat and drink

I love them all but a 250 mile day takes at least 10-11 hours averaging less than 28 miles per hour. So the SO and I spend alot of time chatting on the intercom, taking pictures, playing with the GPS, adjusting heated seats and clothing, listening to the CDs, and laying back far enough to take a corner fast enough to smile.
This is hysterical...and so true. And, yes, the best place to be is in back or in front so you can take curves the way you want. This friend on the Valkyrie yesterday seemed to have perfected cornering zero lean angle. He had a caravan of cars behind him. At one point I passed a very slow moving semi... he never did. He might as well have been driving a Yugo on this trip. But they both said they enjoyed the ride immensely and wanted to do it again sometime.

Greg

post #7 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 9:58 am

Ride with my son who has a 06 goldwing, and I have a 03 LT. There is about a 10% difference in fill ups, under all conditions for 20,000 miles.

DON
post #8 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 9:59 am

Cool Re: Rode with a friend who has a Valkyrie

As a former Valkyrie rider, I can verify the mileage. That big six has a carb on each cylinder to suck gas but it will move out rather quickly. I just bought a 2000 LT and am amazed at the ride and mileage. It's different though. Dropped it twice before getting use to the balance and the need for more RPM. I was used to shifting the Valk at 2K while the LT likes it at around 4k. With the low center of gravity on the Valk's flat six, you can't hardly drop it. Bill
post #9 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtco
As a former Valkyrie rider, I can verify the mileage. That big six has a carb on each cylinder to suck gas but it will move out rather quickly. I just bought a 2000 LT and am amazed at the ride and mileage. It's different though. Dropped it twice before getting use to the balance and the need for more RPM. I was used to shifting the Valk at 2K while the LT likes it at around 4k. With the low center of gravity on the Valk's flat six, you can't hardly drop it. Bill
I have to laugh, take it up to 6.5k and see how much she likes it. BTW, so will you.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 11:38 am

Quote:
Hilarious but oh so true,
I've tried it with the HD boys and the wing riders,
it just doesn't work for me,
told my wife:
I'm just too damn ornery to ride with anyone else!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 2:28 pm

"But really made me wonder about the mileage on a Goldwing......"

At a 70mph cruising speed (per GPS) I average 40mpg, two up, on my 06 Goldwing.

regards
post #12 of 48 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 3:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just finished a 10 day trip with a buddy on an '08 Gold Wing. Typically, at every fill-up he would use around .8 to 1 gal more fuel. He was pretty surprised and disappointed in the difference. This was at speeds over 80 mph on straights and aggressive riding in the twisties (no chicken strips on the ME 880's).

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #13 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 7:04 am

Quote:

Problems:
- Stop for rain
- Stop to eat and drink

Sounds like my day yesterday, wife and I went for a ride with my nephew and some of his cop buddies, my sister and her husband and my brother. Yep, 10 Harleys, 1 Yami and my LT. Left Grand Blanc,MI at 9:30AM and 36F they stopped twice to get coffee and warm-up on the way to Port Huron. I never got out of 4th gear the whole trip, then after lunch I informed them that we will be leaving the group and will meet them for dinner at the agreed upon place. When asked why I tried to diplomatic but one guy gets alittle testy so I told him they ride to slow and I can't get out of 4th gear. So now he's po'ed and proceeds to tell me he's got over $3,000 in his engine and it's anything but slow and that I could'nt handle a REAL BIKE, GEEE'S. So now he's got my wife pissed. So as we pull out of the parking lot he pulls up next to me at the light, blipping the throttle and grinning, wife tells me one thing " GET HIM" the next thing I know wife is waving to him as we blow by him in 3rd gear.
Rest of the day was great, nice roads, beautiful weather and speed.
BTW, we met them latter for dinner and the guy was alittle subduded and veeeeery quiet. Wife and I agreed we will ride alone from now on and meet everybody for lunch or dinner.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #14 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 7:32 am

I will agree with you that the Gold wing will get worst gas milage riding one up. But two up and pulling a trailer the gold wing's that I ride with, always get 3 to 4 mpg better than I do.
post #15 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 8:28 am

It is funny to hear from you guys about your riding buddies. I am lucky I guess. I ride with 2 GW and 1 Vision and we all move along pretty well. We use to ride a lot faster but have slowed it down over the last couple of years and tend to ride 5-10 over the speed limit but we do ride the twisties harder and faster.

We did ride with another group one time this year and had to slow things down but that is what happens when you ride with larger groups and different skill levels. I think it is important when riding with a group to stay at the speeds of the slowest skilled rider if you want to ride together. But, I think it is always ok to take off with by yourself or a couple others as long as everyone knows about it.

One of the reasons we like to ride in a group or in teams is for me a little piece of mind. If something happens you have another person with you to help.

Over time I have found it isn't always about the speed but the togetherness that makes the rides fun.

Ask yourself these questions, I am out there to see the world or am I out there to test my skills? One answer is great for a group the other is best done alone.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #16 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 9:07 am

This is a great thread ....too funny.

I have seen em all at one point or another. Remember riding with sport bike guys and it was a mass kaotic race (DANGER) ....didnt do that for long.

Most of the HD guys are SLOW but not always necessarily safe.

The MOST important thing is to find folks like you that can ride at a reasonable pace safely and have fun so you all enjoy. Its tough to find....

I am lucky to have one or two riding buddies like that now . I enjoy riding with others but it can be "taxing".
post #17 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shriker
This is a great thread ....too funny.

I have seen em all at one point or another. Remember riding with sport bike guys and it was a mass kaotic race (DANGER) ....didnt do that for long.

Most of the HD guys are SLOW but not always necessarily safe.

The MOST important thing is to find folks like you that can ride at a reasonable pace safely and have fun so you all enjoy. Its tough to find....

I am lucky to have one or two riding buddies like that now . I enjoy riding with others but it can be "taxing".
No matter how slow I went, my Valkerie buddies stayed way behind me. So, we couldn't even enjoy each other's company. Very weird. Don't know what was up with that. Guess I'll have to be more diligent about deodorant.

Greg

post #18 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 9:40 am

It’s not you. It’s not their bikes. It’s a common trait of that group. I came upon and rode with a group of 6 BMW’s (2 were LTs) on my way to San Diego via the 15 freeway. For the 60+ miles I rode with them they never broke 65 MPH indicated. I didn’t mind. Didn’t blame their bikes or their skills. I knew it was the trait of that group. Though uninvited, it was the first time I ever rode in a group (MSF course doesn’t count).

First time in a long time that I slowed down and really enjoyed a ride.
post #19 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNEYM
I will agree with you that the Gold wing will get worst gas milage riding one up.
But two up and pulling a trailer the gold wing's that I ride with,
always get 3 to 4 mpg better than I do.
Interesting, I wonder what the "variables" are?
On my LT I usually get 46 mpg,
with the trailer (moderately loaded) it drops down to 43/44 mpg.
Not a real significant variation.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #20 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:33 am

Like you guys I don't fault the different makes and riders for their riding styles, I just can't do it.

Went for a lunch ride with the Goldwing group, about twelve bikes.
To get outside of the city they get on the interstate (six lanes)
we're in the center lane doing 65 and traffic is passing on both sides @ 75-80.
In my opinion we were in one of the "most" dangerous traffic situations you can be in.
Sure enough a car missed "her" exit and came from the left lane
"through" the center of the pack to make her right exit.
Nobody got hurt but it was my last ride with that group.

Went on a Christmass "toy run" across the Skyway bridge"
my wife and I were laughing because we no more than got up to speed (55)
when hats, doo-rags and sunglasses started literally "flying off"
but what "topped" it all when a HD "honey" reached into the leather saddlebags for a can of beer, which she dropped (@ 55mph) the can "exploded" when the bike in front of me ran over it.
I said to my wife:
What the hell am I doing here?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #21 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Went for a lunch ride with the Goldwing group, about twelve bikes.
I hear tell large groups like that are dangerous regardless of the style.
post #22 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 5:28 pm

Last large group ride I did was a toy run where several bikes went down! I decided this was way too dangerous!
post #23 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Might as well have a HD if....

your going to ride at the slow speeds most of them go.
I don't mean to sound critical of those who enjoy slow cruising in a group, what ever gives the rider the joy of the ride is the thing for them to do.
But slow crusing sure doesn't work for me. In my opinion, if you're going to ride at speeds ridden by most GW and HD riders, then you probably should have one of those bikes. Those bikes are probably better machines for that kind of riding. The LT wasn't "bred" for that kind of riding and it isn't much fun at those putt-putt speeds. Just like the GW and the HD aren't much fun at LT speeds, the LT isn't much fun at HD speeds.

The LT is a wonderful bike. I pass HD all the time. They are enjoying the throb of the V-twin and the scenery, the wind in their hair, and the feel of leather. I am enjoying the thrill of speed, the risk of tickets, the rolling on the throttle coming out of the apex of twisties, and cranking the sweepers at 20 over the posted limits. What I am doing is nuts, and the HD riders are probably scoffing at the stupid, bone headed BMW rider who blows past them on the overstuffed BMW that is the LT. I am enjoying the jazz of the ride, the thrill of speed under incredible smoothness and control that is the LT. I'd probably rather be sipping lemonade on a porch swing than throbbing down the road in a group of HDs; it ain't for me.

Each kind of riding if good for those who enjoy their approach to motorcycling. And no, the two don't mix very well.
post #24 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtco
If you try higher shifting RPM levels on the LT you will soon realize that 4000 is the MINIMUM that the LT likes. She is just starting to breathe and getting ready to have fun. When you shift her at such a low RPM she is forced back down to where she is struggling to get going again.
Try shifting at at least 5K for a while and see if you don't like it MUCH better, as will the bike.

I always shifted so that the bike never dropped below 3500, preferably 4000 after the shift.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #25 of 48 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 9:16 pm

Well said CharlieVT!
post #26 of 48 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Check this before you stereotype all Goldwing riders as slow.
post #27 of 48 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:17 am

Re: Might as well have a HD if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I am enjoying the thrill of speed, the risk of tickets, the rolling on the throttle coming out of the apex of twisties, and cranking the sweepers at 20 over the posted limits. What I am doing is nuts, and the HD riders are probably scoffing at the stupid, bone headed BMW rider who blows past them on the overstuffed BMW that is the LT.
This is the attitude of the average sports biker. That would make the LT a very expensive sports bike. I think you’d better off, financially/reliability/maintenance wise with a bike like an SV650. Which from what I’ve noticed is the cost (SV650) the average LT loses during the first year of depreciation.
post #28 of 48 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:02 am Thread Starter

Re: Might as well have a HD if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
your going to ride at the slow speeds most of them go.
I don't mean to sound critical of those who enjoy slow cruising in a group, what ever gives the rider the joy of the ride is the thing for them to do.
But slow crusing sure doesn't work for me. In my opinion, if you're going to ride at speeds ridden by most GW and HD riders, then you probably should have one of those bikes. Those bikes are probably better machines for that kind of riding. The LT wasn't "bred" for that kind of riding and it isn't much fun at those putt-putt speeds. Just like the GW and the HD aren't much fun at LT speeds, the LT isn't much fun at HD speeds.

The LT is a wonderful bike. I pass HD all the time. They are enjoying the throb of the V-twin and the scenery, the wind in their hair, and the feel of leather. I am enjoying the thrill of speed, the risk of tickets, the rolling on the throttle coming out of the apex of twisties, and cranking the sweepers at 20 over the posted limits. What I am doing is nuts, and the HD riders are probably scoffing at the stupid, bone headed BMW rider who blows past them on the overstuffed BMW that is the LT. I am enjoying the jazz of the ride, the thrill of speed under incredible smoothness and control that is the LT. I'd probably rather be sipping lemonade on a porch swing than throbbing down the road in a group of HDs; it ain't for me.

Each kind of riding if good for those who enjoy their approach to motorcycling. And no, the two don't mix very well.
I couldn't agree more.

Greg

post #29 of 48 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:24 pm

[QUOTE=Sereman]The SO and I take about three overnight trips a year with a group of work associates (all on Harleys - of course).

Problems:
- Stop for rain
- Stop to eat and drink

QUOTE]

You know, I see alot of H-D bashing here. I heard a bunch of it at a BMW rally this past weekend. It seems to me this is the result of elitism or jealousy. I don't know which.

In my 37 years on 2 wheels I have known many motorcyclists and also many bikers. I consider myself a biker in that I ride and I don't give a s**t what you ride. I've ridden with Beemer crowds that can't get out of their own way and with guys that ride so far over their (and my) heads that it is no surprise when they have a little "off road excursion."

I frequently ride with a large group of mostly retired guys (Accountants, Doctors, Firemen, Police, Realtors, Engineers, Welders, Electricians, etc) who all ride Harleys. Most have 20 to as much as 50 years of experience. These fellows RIDE! Footboards scrapping, throttles are open and straight lines and open highways are avoided. They take 3-4 long trips each year and ride every Saturday for a 150-200 mile lunch run. They are, without a doubt, much more skilled than my BMW club and have more fun and make more fun while riding.

I know there are slow H-D's, Goldwings as well as BMWs out there. If you can't find a common riding style with your current group. ........

Get some new friends.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #30 of 48 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 3:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Things are not so different when riding horses or motorcycles. I always avoid large groups riding "together" and prefer the "rendez-vous" method.
People (should) ride within their comfort level and make it to their destination safely and with the desired amount of fun. And "fun" has a different meaning to different people.
If your version of fun is significantly different than that of your riding buddies then you must choose a different crowd.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #31 of 48 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Just finished a 10 day trip with a buddy on an '08 Gold Wing. Typically, at every fill-up he would use around .8 to 1 gal more fuel. He was pretty surprised and disappointed in the difference. This was at speeds over 80 mph on straights and aggressive riding in the twisties (no chicken strips on the ME 880's).
Based on my touring experience on my current Gold Wing, and my 2001 and 2002 LT, this is dead on correct. Strange how a 6 cylinder 1800 would get lower mpg than a 4 cylinder 1200......

In any event, while both are great rides, I have to stop more often on the GW than I did on my LT, or do on my GT. Just the way it is.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #32 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 6:11 am

My wife and I join a group of HD riding friends for a brunch run two or three time each summer. We've known them for many years and enjoy their company.

We don't ride with them more frequently because it seems like everything happens in slow motion. The wives all phone each other the night before to discuss what everyone will be wearing. The men all plan the 20 mile route. We have to meet up with part of the group in location A so our sub-group can ride together 3 miles to the location B where the other sub-group is waiting. Everyone gets off their bikes to look at everyone else's bike in case more chrome doo-dads have been added. Doo-dad parity is a big deal - no one can stand anyone else having more shiny crap.

They ride in side-by-side formation 15 miles (!) to the place where we will have brunch. The ride occurs at 5-10 mph below the posted speed limit. We ride in the rear because I can't stand formation riding. The 15 mile ride is usually interupped once by someone having to pee or someone wanting to stop at a roadside stand to buy vegetables. Then everyone walks around everyone else's bike to see if any new bling was added during the past 30 minutes, while we were riding.

When we finally make it to the restaurant a round of Bloody Marys is ordered and gulped down to relieve the dehydration suffered during the ride. Meal orders are yelled at the waitress because everyone has loud pipes and no one wears earplugs. Or a helmet.

After brunch, and too many Bloody Marys, it's time to head home, in formation, at parade speed. A long ride through the countryside is unthinkable because the guys are too blotto and the gals don't watn to get their expensive leathers dirty with bug splats and road grit.

My wife and I spend 1 minute zipping into our Road Crafters, don't drink alcohol while on a ride, and think a 20 mile ride is nothing more than an equipment check. Our friends don't get the idea of our usual 500 mile days.

Three years ago we foolishly convinced two couple to join us on a trip to the BRP. Big mistake. Couple number one bailed out by noon of day two, about halfway to the BRP. they said they 'weren't having any fun' riding the way we ride'. I think that meant that they didn't like riding more than one hour before stopping for a beer.

Couple number two made it to the BRP, whining at every opportunity, but decided that they would follow their own route home because they enjoyed riding at a 'more lesiurely pace'. I had been riding at the actual speed limit, per my GPS readout......

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #33 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 7:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

My wife and I ride with different local groups and shops that do supper runs. Usually we are running below the speed limit in a group. I feel like a traffic hazard when riding like that. I think it puts everyone in more danger because it exposes them to more traffic than running the speed limit would. I tend to ride 5 to 10 miles over the posted speed. That's just how I ride. I stopped riding with one group because their speed on the return ride was excessive in deer country. I tend to be more reserved when I'm riding 2up. I have a friend who used to ride and he'd get over on the shoulder every time a car got close to him so they could pass. He wanted to go to the Republic of Texas Rally one year. I said, OK, but I'm NOT riding on the shoulder all the way to Austin!! We had a nice ride........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #34 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 7:47 am

Interesting, I wonder what the "variables" are?
On my LT I usually get 46 mpg,
with the trailer (moderately loaded) it drops down to 43/44 mpg.
Not a real significant variation.

We do ride hard pushing 78 to 80 on interstate. I usually get around 42 without the trailer and as low as 35 pulling the trailer.

I am currently running seafoam through the bike, (although it runs perfect) thinking maybe I have some carbon build up.
post #35 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 9:25 am

Some of my buddies I hang out with are also the same ones I will not go anywhere with. A few ride Gold Wings and will ride tank to tank at the speed limit. Another one has a metric crusier and he is also 200+ pounds overweight. Yes, that much. His body pushes on all his innards and so in a 100 mile highway run, it has three stops in it. Bladder is full so he has to drain out all four ounces.
I do not ride with him out of town but I do enjoy his company. The GW guy, we ride two times a month for a all day ride.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #36 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 9:34 am Thread Starter

[QUOTE=rattler50]My wife and I ride with different local groups and shops that do supper runs. Usually we are running below the speed limit in a group. I feel like a traffic hazard when riding like that. I think it puts everyone in more danger because it exposes them to more traffic than running the speed limit would. I tend to ride 5 to 10 miles over the posted speed. That's just how I ride. I stopped riding with one group because their speed on the return ride was excessive in deer country. I tend to be more reserved when I'm riding 2up. I have a friend who used to ride and he'd get over on the shoulder every time a car got close to him so they could pass. He wanted to go to the Republic of Texas Rally one year. I said, OK, but I'm NOT riding on the shoulder all the way to Austin!! We had a nice ride........ [/I tend to ride 5 to 10 miles over the posted speed.]

Me, too, at least that. Sometimes more if on a superslab. Definitely do not like to be overtaken by traffic from behind me. don't think it's safe at all. At least it doesn't feel that way to me. My Valkyrie friends were, in my opinion, a hazard to themselves and others riding that slowly.

Greg

post #37 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Angry Re: Rode with a friend who has a Valkyrie

I know it is hard sometimes not to paint all with the same brush but you guys should know better. I have heard people talk about Beemer riders in derogitiory ways as well and I do not like it. I have a freind that rides a K1200LT and one that rides a Harley Night Rod and one that rides a Yamie Star Raider. We get together and ride and have a good time. We road to Vegas together and all road our OWN RIDE! We took back roads and Super Slab. If some one wanted to go faster is a section they pulled out and did just that.
I do not enjoy riding in large groups for the same reason alot of you have said. So I CHOOSE NOT TO! I ride with smaller groups and My own Group and BY MYSELF.

Oh by the way, I ride a 99 Valkyrie Interstate (DarkSide) and VERY Often find myself doing 11 and 12 hour days running between 75 and 100 MPH. If those distances or speeds do not turn your fancy than by all means PASS me and HAVE AT IT!!! I will gladly meet you at the next stop and have lunch.
Maybe some of you should get off your HIGH HORSE and just do what you say you like to do.....RIDE YOUR RIDE AND ENJOY! What a concept.
post #38 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 8:48 pm

Do high horses have rear end failures?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #39 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
My wife and I took a ride with another couple yesterday. They were on a Valkyrie. It was the longest ride of my life. They refused to even go as fast as the speed limit! It was driving me crazy. At those speeds the LT was getting 55 plus MPG. His bike was getting about 30. Hey, maybe that's why he won't go faster. But really made me wonder about the mileage on a Goldwing. Those big six cylinder engines really do seem to suck up the gas.
So what are you trying to say, all Valkyries are slow? I'll go for a ride with ya, then I'm gonna post up how the BMW couldn't keep up. I'll get a pack of experienced Valk riders together, trust me, you won't be able to hang.

Did it ever dawn on you that maybe your friends were enjoying the ride, instead of trying to see how fast they could go? Get off it already.
post #40 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Do high horses have rear end failures?
High Horses don't, but the south end of the horse buys BMW's and bashes other riders.
post #41 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
Sounds like my day yesterday, wife and I went for a ride with my nephew and some of his cop buddies, my sister and her husband and my brother. Yep, 10 Harleys, 1 Yami and my LT. Left Grand Blanc,MI at 9:30AM and 36F they stopped twice to get coffee and warm-up on the way to Port Huron. I never got out of 4th gear the whole trip, then after lunch I informed them that we will be leaving the group and will meet them for dinner at the agreed upon place. When asked why I tried to diplomatic but one guy gets alittle testy so I told him they ride to slow and I can't get out of 4th gear. So now he's po'ed and proceeds to tell me he's got over $3,000 in his engine and it's anything but slow and that I could'nt handle a REAL BIKE, GEEE'S. So now he's got my wife pissed. So as we pull out of the parking lot he pulls up next to me at the light, blipping the throttle and grinning, wife tells me one thing " GET HIM" the next thing I know wife is waving to him as we blow by him in 3rd gear.
Rest of the day was great, nice roads, beautiful weather and speed.
BTW, we met them latter for dinner and the guy was alittle subduded and veeeeery quiet. Wife and I agreed we will ride alone from now on and meet everybody for lunch or dinner.

What a great story....

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #42 of 48 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 11:02 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skogul
So what are you trying to say, all Valkyries are slow? I'll go for a ride with ya, then I'm gonna post up how the BMW couldn't keep up. I'll get a pack of experienced Valk riders together, trust me, you won't be able to hang.

Did it ever dawn on you that maybe your friends were enjoying the ride, instead of trying to see how fast they could go? Get off it already.
Very nice!

Mmmmmm nitrous

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #43 of 48 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 6:05 am

Quote:
Damn! Man, that is sweet! Looks like some well thought out work.
You might blow me away in the straights, but you'd never hang in the tweesties

Here's a pic of my bike, that's a Valk pipe hanging off the teeth (here's where you're supposed to laugh)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #44 of 48 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Damn! Man, that is sweet! Looks like some well thought out work.
You might blow me away in the straights, but you'd never hang in the tweesties
The majority of roads aren't twisted. So I guess you'd get blown away majority of the time.
post #45 of 48 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 9:14 am

Quote:

FINE looking bike! One of my buddies has the red and cream one. Good running bike.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #46 of 48 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162
It’s not you. It’s not their bikes. It’s a common trait of that group. I came upon and rode with a group of 6 BMW’s (2 were LTs) on my way to San Diego via the 15 freeway. For the 60+ miles I rode with them they never broke 65 MPH indicated. I didn’t mind. Didn’t blame their bikes or their skills. I knew it was the trait of that group. Though uninvited, it was the first time I ever rode in a group (MSF course doesn’t count).

First time in a long time that I slowed down and really enjoyed a ride.

Hmm, isn't enjoying the ride the whole idea??

There are times when I'm riding solo, and the twisties are just daring me to take them on, so I do.
There are times I'm riding 2 up with Telle, and she likes to relax on the back of of the bike, so I take it easy.
There are times I ride solo, and just putt along and enjoy the road, the scenery, and the solitude.

So, what group should I ride with? When I do ride in a group of friends, there are HDs, Suzuki, Honda, and Yami cruisers mostly. Invariably, I'm elected Road Captain (I think it's the GPS) and I'll ask everyone what speed they are comfortable with. It usually ends up right around 5-10 over posted speeds. My rule of thumb on group rides is simple: the group travels at the speed that the slowest rider is comfortable with. If you insist upon going faster, tell us where you'll meet us when we get there. I've never "dropped" a rider on a group ride. But, I have had instances where the group that takes off ahead gets totally lost, and I get the phone call for directions....

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #47 of 48 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Garage

Wife and I were out for a ride today. We started to follow a Goldwing Interstate down a moderately twisty road. The wing was cookin. The RT wasn't at it's limit but I wouldn't want to go much faster with the wife on the back.
post #48 of 48 Old Oct 12th, 2008, 2:14 pm

I have a friend who rides a Valk quite fast but dosn't understand why his back end steps out on hard corners. (He has a car tire on the back )

2011 BMW 1600GTL
2000 BMW R1100R
2008 Burgman 650EX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in