So you thought your last bike trip was long... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

So you thought your last bike trip was long...

Took the bike out this chilly morning to go for breakfast. (Telle worked an overnight shift, she was sleeping.) When I parked, I noticed another bike up on the sidewalk. 21 speeds, panniers front and rear, bags on top of the front and rear racks. Yes, a fully loaded touring bicycle!

Walked into the diner and there was an empty stool next to a guy in his mid 20s with cycling shoes on. Sat next to him and asked if that was his bike out front. It was. He was checking his map, heading up to New Hampshire with a final destination of Bar Harbor, Maine. His journey started in California at the end of June!

Got to talking about his trip a bit. He's been camping out most of the time, hadn't really had any problems other than a curious black bear at one campsite, and a seperated tire that needed replacement.

He was eating a HUGE breakfast to give him the calories he needs every day. I grabbed his check when the waitress brought it over and wished him a safe journey. I thought it was the least I could do!

It certainly makes you appreciate the fact that all you need to do to get up that long hill is to twist your right wrist a bit more, while seated on a heated seat and holding a heated grip.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Re: So you thought your last bike trip was long...

That's an impressive journey no doubt. Just imagine all the small details he was able to absorb along the way, things we might miss while wizzing by on or self propelled 2 wheelers.

I'd have bought him breakfast also.

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 10:05 pm

Tat,

That was big of you...good show.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 7:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Tat,

That was big of you...good show.

F
Yes, exactly. +1 on that.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
Took the bike out this chilly morning to go for breakfast. (Telle worked an overnight shift, she was sleeping.) When I parked, I noticed another bike up on the sidewalk. 21 speeds, panniers front and rear, bags on top of the front and rear racks. Yes, a fully loaded touring bicycle!

Walked into the diner and there was an empty stool next to a guy in his mid 20s with cycling shoes on. Sat next to him and asked if that was his bike out front. It was. He was checking his map, heading up to New Hampshire with a final destination of Bar Harbor, Maine. His journey started in California at the end of June!

Got to talking about his trip a bit. He's been camping out most of the time, hadn't really had any problems other than a curious black bear at one campsite, and a seperated tire that needed replacement.

He was eating a HUGE breakfast to give him the calories he needs every day. I grabbed his check when the waitress brought it over and wished him a safe journey. I thought it was the least I could do!

It certainly makes you appreciate the fact that all you need to do to get up that long hill is to twist your right wrist a bit more, while seated on a heated seat and holding a heated grip.

This is the part that I can't believe.... a BMW rider picked up the check!!!! You guys are gonna ruin our reputation if you don't watch it! Remember, the cheapest part on a BMW is the RIDER!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in