Airbag - would it help? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Airbag - would it help?

The new Goldwing are equipped with an airbag. You may ask what different would it make if you crash with a motorcycle? I've been thinking a lot of this since april, when a friend and colleague of mine was killed when an 84 year old man fell asleep at the wheel and collided head on with my friend. The main arteria to his heart was ripped of when his body was thrown forward so there where no chance of survival. Could he have survived the accident if his on duty BMW was equipped with an airbag like the Goldwing's in that kind of an accident? I've asked myself that question a lot and if I should convert to the wing for that reason?

I have attached 2 pictures, but ain't sure how to do it so I don't know if you can see them and make a picture of what happened.

Jostein
Blue Knights Norway I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunnar.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	19876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunnar's funeral.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	19877  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 12:09 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: Airbag - would it help?

Jostein,

First, sorry for the loss of your friend.

Your question is one that may never get an answer. I covered an accident where a car ran into a sandy ditch, with airbag deployment and resonable speed and the driver died from the same injury, yet the passenger got five stitches in his nose due to his eyeglasses being hit by his airbag and no other injury.

The airbag may keep a rider from going up and over or even keep him from going straight threw the dash or windshield plus all the farkles above the dash, but there are going to be people saved by airbags and there are going to be people who die.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in