test riding the C-14 tomorrow - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:30 am Thread Starter

test riding the C-14 tomorrow

Local dealer has two 08 models, both with ABS. Wants $12,500 which is reasonable. I've read the write ups on this bike. Sounds great. I'll let you know my opinion. although it won't be much of a test on a brand new bike.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 1:22 pm

Re: test riding the C-14 tomorrow

I am intersested in your thoughts.

That will be the bike that replaces my LT.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 2:22 pm

3 sites to help you decide:

http://cog-online.org

http://concoursowners.net

http://concours.org

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 3:56 pm

Let us know how many wheelies you do coming out of the parking lot.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 6:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
Let us know how many wheelies you do coming out of the parking lot.
I believe this particular dealer limits you to two out of the parking lot...
But I will offer my impressions for what they're worth when I get back. If it lives up to the write ups it would have to be great bike. But I guess they all would under those conditions. Funny thing is, the guy I bought my LT from sold it to by a Connie.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #6 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Funny thing is, the guy I bought my LT from sold it to by a Connie.

That is what I am doing...
The LT just doesn't cut the mustard if you want to sport-tour and ride the twisties hard.

It is great for the rider who doesn't plan on riding to extreme limits of the machine.
Then when you touch a peg, it is something special.

Once you've worn out the pegs and kickstand, it is no longer fun.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 2:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My son-in-law has a C-14 he bought right after they came out. Had to pick it up in Vegas and ride it home. We ride together (well, kinda...the LT is no match for that machine) and I'm amazed at how beautifully it handles the twisties and the POWER...wow. He recently performed the modification that many do by removing the limit butterflys. Now it gets the awesome power from the moment you crack the throttle...practically wheelies in every gear. The amazing part is it's THOUSANDS less than the GT. Quite a machine.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
That is what I am doing...
The LT just doesn't cut the mustard if you want to sport-tour and ride the twisties hard.

It is great for the rider who doesn't plan on riding to extreme limits of the machine.
Then when you touch a peg, it is something special.

Once you've worn out the pegs and kickstand, it is no longer fun.
I think I'm there already.

Greg

post #9 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Okay. took her for a quick ride. Very nice power range. Lots of acceleration in all gears, even though the bike only had 75 miles on it. To even approach the wind protection, especially for the passenger, of an LT would need better windshield. Also, really weird thing. When you look in the mirrors what you see are the saddle bags. Bad ergonomics there. But basically it would be a great bike to own.
Don' t know if it's the LT's high center of gravity or the fact that the handle bars are just wider so steering and counter steering inputs are more effective, but it's actually easier to bank the LT than either the Concours or the FJR. I expect you get used to that, like you do the handling characteristics of any bike. I'd love to buy this bike but the wife was less then impressed with the comfort. So...I'm in a hold mode for now as we think this through. Oh, yes, it's much lighter and there for less intimidating in slow situations, much easier to handle at parking lot speeds. Much.
Also, the brakes were great.

Greg

post #10 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 3:44 pm

Old Voyager owners were hoping Kaw would use a version the C-14 engine in the New Voyager.
Instead Kaw gave them a V Twin on the new Voyager with belt drive

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #11 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 3:48 pm

You could throw a Givi trunk with a backrest and that might please the wife.

I was thinking I would get a Corbin with a backrest.
My wife is used to sleeping while I ride.
Sure don't know how she does it with my driving.
I would be scared sh1tless.

Visit
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 4:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
You could throw a Givi trunk with a backrest and that might please the wife.

I was thinking I would get a Corbin with a backrest.
My wife is used to sleeping while I ride.
Sure don't know how she does it with my driving.
I would be scared sh1tless.
My son-in-law installed a Givi trunk and a Corbin seat. My daughter tours with him frequently and the addition of the trunk and Corbin made a huge change in the comfort. She hated the stock seat because it is made with a forward cant and she was constantly sliding forward. The problem was eliminated with the Corbin. He is 6'7" so he also had the seat built up an inch so his legs weren't quite as bent. He also lowered the passenger pegs (without sacrificing lean angle) which made it a more comfortable ride for the passenger.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:23 am

The footpeg position on the Concours would be very hard for me to get used to. To much crotch rocket design. And i didn't care for the HUGE gas tank

To sporty of a bike design for me

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #14 of 14 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 12:44 pm

My two cents from past experience.

Bikes I have owned

2004 RT1150 -best boxer I have ever owned.
2006 RT1200 -rear drive failed I dumped it. $20K should NOT buy you being stranded in the middle of nowhere.
2005 K1200S -same time as RT 1200, 3 transmissions later GONE....... Forever.
2002 LT-BEST OF THE BEST nothing compares to my 2002
2006 LT- rear drive failed I dumped it $24K should NOT buy you being stranded in the middle of nowhere.
2003 ST1300 as well for two weeks, I sold it because I was tired of looking like I pissed on myself everytime I rode it, HEAT HEAT HEAT. I cannot beleive a company like Honda STILL releasing that product to the public.

I test rode a C-14 and in July in GA and the heat pouring from it was TWO TIMES worse than the Honda. Repeat TWO TIMES.

I now am the proud owner of an 2007 FJR1300, which is to say the least an awsome machine, I bought it the same July day I roder the C-14, heat? yes while not moving, around your ankles, and THAT IS IT. Once you get moving over 10MPH whatever Yamaha did to move air just plain WORKS!!!!.

Now does my FJR replaces my 2002 LT in confort for me, the SO, luggage room, gadgets, NEVER. But if you want to go from an LT to a smaller Sport Touring bike you cannot go wrong with the FJR. The 2008's are even better as they have a lighter ABS unit, they have helical cut gears in the tranny so its quieter, and the throttle springs are not as hard. The ONLY mod I made to my FJR was a taller shield (V-Stream) it looks good and does the job.

Again my two cents.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in