Are there any new BMW dealers? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Question Are there any new BMW dealers?

From time to time, either on this forum, or other BMW groups I monitor there is mention of this or that former BMW dealer either dropping the line, being dropped by BMWNA, or going out of business entirely.

The impression I have formed is that the number of BMW dealerships is in steady decline. I live in Utah, 500 miles and 20 years from anywhere else, and there is still only one authorized BMW dealership, and one independant BMW specialty shop in the Salt Lake City area. But I believe the next closest is hundreds of miles away, and there are many very large areas, some whole states, where there are no dealers at all.

I have renewed my interest and ability for long distance motorcycle travel, and have two BMW's that are very suitable, if not preferable for such. However, there is such a lot of time & space between BMW dealers, especially out here in the "wide open west", and I am becoming a bit worried about being stranded again.

What's the general feeling among members of this forum? Are there any new BMW dealerships opening in North America? Is the trend upwards in number or downwards?

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 3:17 pm

Re: Are there any new BMW dealers?

Nearly all of my favorite, smaller dealerships have either been forced to drop BMW or lost their franchised owing to financial demands from BMW which were simply untenable. Do not get me wrong, I love my LT as much as I have loved all of my past BMWs, but when I go on a long trip, I know I may be on my own.

I will be taking a 900 mile trip from Ocean City, MD to Hilton Head Island next week and prior to any such trip, I try to build a list of dealers enroute but it is becoming harder and harder every year.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 5:08 pm

BMW of Ventura County is only a couple years old.

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 5:42 pm

This is going to sound naiive for sure, but the reason I bought a BMW was due to them having a reputation of getting you there and back. I'm sure the day will come when I too am stranded , but I honestly never give it a thought, maintain my ride to spec and lay down the miles. I plan to stick to that game plan till I get stranded and or stuck somewhere and see how I feel about it then. You might say I'm just happily going along with my delusion in tac............heh heh

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:06 pm

I think BMW in Indy is new.....or rehashed, or something like that.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:11 pm

I think the trend is down, but new dealers are opening. Tri-Valley Moto in Livermore,CA just opened and couple of weeks ago.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 4:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
I think BMW in Indy is new.....or rehashed, or something like that.

F
It's totally new. The old dealership went out of business three years ago or so.

We're glad to have them.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #8 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 7:27 am

No matter which brand of bike or car for that matter is always going to have a dealer nearby when you break down. If you are on the road a lot sooner or later you will break down. I don't really worry about the LT breaking down on the road. What I don't like is not having a dealer in the state. That makes it very hard to get parts when needed to do your own work. It would also be nice to have a dealer fairly close when you do need to take one in. BMW just doesn't feel that way. They should at least have one dealer in every state!
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 7:59 am

We may see some more in the future. According to the BMW reps. that were at CCR, BMW is really trying to grow the brand and has relaxed the "standards" to be a dealer.
However they want dealers who will be into it and not just another "side" brand on top of three or four other brands.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 8:29 am

This is a cause for concern that has been expressed on many other threads here, as well as on other forums and publications.

I like the idea of BMW wanting dealers who are into the brand, I mean that's what everyone wants when they enter a store: knowledgeable staff who can answer questions. But to expect to entice new dealers in and have them BMW-only or -centric is a bad idea IMHO. BMW's low market share and the flagging US economy do not bode well, and the goal is to make money. Loving the brand is great, but that won't pay the rent.

Anyway, flame mode is back off and I look with an upturned face towards the glorious future where I have a dealer in my town.

Ok, flame mode and sarcasm is truly off now

Interesting thread so far, looking forward to other posts.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 8:42 am

I don't think we we'll see many more new dealers in the near future - and quite a few going under.

Between the MUCH higher cost of credit, the aging of the BMW "faithful", and the re-focusing of consumer discretionary dollars.... The younger crowd BMW is going after not only has no money - they also don't have FICO scores above 720 or give a thought to savings. Hell, I'll bet 90% of them don't even know what a FICO score is!

BMW may be forced into re-thinking their marketing by the Japanese and emerging Chinese marques. Hard to sell champagne in a lite beer economy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 8:53 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I don't think we we'll see many more new dealers in the near future - and quite a few going under.

Between the MUCH higher cost of credit, the aging of the BMW "faithful", and the re-focusing of consumer discretionary dollars.... The younger crowd BMW is going after not only has no money - they also don't have FICO scores above 720 or give a thought to savings. Hell, I'll bet 90% of them don't even know what a FICO score is!

BMW may be forced into re-thinking their marketing by the Japanese and emerging Chinese marques. Hard to sell champagne in a lite beer economy.
I had some work done at the dealer last week.While there I saw three new owners leave with shiny new bikes. The sales person stated that they are doing fairly well for now.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #13 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 9:09 am

We have a new BMW dealer in Nassau County NY. Gold Coast is a multi brand dealer. It is the only dealer on Long Island NY.
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:23 am

Someone posted a while back about Max BMW opening up a new dealership on Rte 17 on the NY/NJ border. Anyone heard any more about this?

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #15 of 22 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:57 am

Talking with the BMW reps at CCR, the basic information is there are 141 dealers with 150 set as the maximum - per BMWNA under the old President.

That maximum has now been expanded to 175 within a time period which was uncertain. I assume within 5 years as the Pres of NA serves for 5 years.

Standards have been relaxed.

BMW has also released itself from the Harley model on having only exclusive one bike manufacturer(BMW) in each dealership. Several new dealers(proposed) have connections with other bike dealerships, etc.

Question is: has BMW aligned itself with other bike manufacturers so a dealer can offer a complete line of bikes???????

David Adler
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
The younger crowd BMW is going after not only has no money - they also don't have FICO scores above 720 or give a thought to savings. Hell, I'll bet 90% of them don't even know what a FICO score is!
FICO = Found I Can't Own?????

On a more serious note, I think ALL motorcycle dealers will be feeling the pinch. Credit will be harder to get, and let's face it, a motorcycle is NOT exactly a necessity, despite how most of us feel about riding one. Car dealers are already moaning about lost sales due to the recent financial fiasco. People are scared, and a bit leery about taking out a 4, 5, or 6 year note on a large purchase right now.

The ideal situation would, of course, be a single point motorcycle dealer. "We sell BMW - nothing else". Unfortunately, it's just not really possible for a single point dealer in a limited market (vs car sales volume) to survive. Harley Davidson seems to be the exception, but they have much better product identification than any other brand. (I used to get "nice Harley" all the time while riding my Suzuki Intruder 1400. I'd just nod and smile...) Besides, there always seems to be plenty of people who just cannot afford a bike, but sure can drop $25 on a Harley T-shirt.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 2:49 pm

The BMW dealership in Sioux City Iowa was an exclusive BMW dealer complete with new building 3 years ago now the showroom is filled with Victory & KTM bikes and the BMW bikes are the minority they have gone from 100% floor space to 20% or less. From what I hear BMW mothership is difficult to deal with at times as one multi brand dealer stated he did not like what he had gotten himself into with BMW and would not do it again if offered today. I really like my LT and have owned and have ridden several other brands & models but the LT always comes up winner for my needs. However I have to maintain the bike my self as I cannot afford to have a dealer service it for me, in fact I own other brands also Yamaha, Suzuki, Harley, Buell and Honda & I cannot afford to have those serviced by their dealer either.

--Thats OK I don't care--
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 2:05 am

Dealers who have been treated badly by NA also did not attend the dealer conference in NJ. Unfortunately, they did not understand the change that the new NA Pres is ready to offer.

Many dealers which had their dealerships aggressively for sale - are now hesitantly offering their dealerships for sale. It's a wait and see.

The new dealers with BMW are presently being combined with Victory, KTM and/or Triumph.

BTW, 2 dealers who attended CCR stated their sales are up 30%+. Of course, they were dealers for Honda but rode their LTs to CCR. Neither would ride a bike without ABS brakes. The increase in sales were all with small bikes, an area which is not served by BMW. The large Honda bike sales were down.

David Adler
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 3:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I think the trend is down, but new dealers are opening. Tri-Valley Moto in Livermore,CA just opened and couple of weeks ago.
I think they're the same guys that run Cal Moto BMW/Triumph in Mountain View. Not sure how BMW treats them. There are a lot of BMW dealers around here: Santa Cruz, San Jose, Mountain View, San Francisco, Marin, Walnut Creek, and now Livermore. That's 7 within 60 miles of me!
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 7:09 am

A couple years ago, northeast Ohio gained BMW Motorcycles of Cleveland. But this past year, we lost Roman Cycle. So Ohio's looking like a wash. Too bad they (BMW NA) lost the best dealer that Ohio ever had.
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 11:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: Are there any new BMW dealers?

BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon (BMWOR) has a successful dealership in Eugene, OR and opened another sales and service operation in Tigard, OR - a Portland burb - a year or so ago. The dealership is service oriented with great amenities for those waiting for their rides.

Denny
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Gold Supporter

We had a gorgeous dealership open and close in around 28 months, but it had nothing to do with NA. The facility was one of the best money could buy, the showroom floor was always at capacity, but the people, starting at the top and all the way down (except in apparel--she knew her stuff), especially in the service department, were idiots. I loved my LT and had put a LOT of money into it, but when I was planning a trip to Washington State and looked at the map for dealers along the way (just in case) I found two. I covered 2200 miles one way, what were the odds I would have a problem within the 150 miles covered by my towing plan and then what are the odds the dealer would have the part I needed in stock? So I went back to a Harley Ultra because there is a dealer on almost every street corner.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in