Age issue? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 9:30 am Thread Starter

Cool Age issue?

I received two bike mags yesterday: the BMWON and Motorcyclist. Motorcyclist had several pages devoted to young riders that was pretty impressive. The front cover of BMWON had a picture of a couple in their 80s. Just an observation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 9:57 am

Re: Age issue?

I always see older people on BMWs.

Not sure why...
Maybe it is because they aren't as fast as they used to be and riding a BMW give them an excuse as to why they are riding slow.

Or maybe they just enjoy spending the majority of their time adding farkles and troubleshooting problems.

When I go to the BMW shop all the people in there are old fossils talking about how motorcycles used to be.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 12:52 pm

Most of the customers at our local shop, and most members of our local BMWMOA chartered club are all "grey-hairs". I would hazard a guess that average age is in the 50-60 year old category.

Nothing wrong with that.

I also would say that I have noticed a constant inflow of new riders to our group. They aren't young'uns either, rather more of the same, "grey-hairs or soon to be grey hairs". Seems to be an ongoing trend for those with "silver templed Maturity" to gravitate and graduate to BMW circles.

Maybe that will change somewhat with the new models and marketing thrust BMW has launched with some of their newer products. Time will tell. But in the meantime it seems as testosterone declines and maturity sets in, BMW remains a small preferred part of the market.

I'm 60, and own four of the darn things!

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #4 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 1:27 pm

I think it takes awhile to figure out what good touring bikes are and then can afford them. Mostly older folks on Goldwings too.
post #5 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 3:20 pm

Maybe they are folks who always enjoyed touring and bikes like the R50s and R60s were their only real choices during the 1950s and 1960s. I can think of few bikes other than Guzzis and BMWs which would have filled the bill. Old habits are hard to break.
post #6 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 3:26 pm

Our age group are the ones who can afford to own a BMW! We've worked our whole lives and we're spending some of our hard earned cash on some of the better things in life....

2009 K1300GT Blue
2003 K1200LT Titan Silver

2004 Suzuki DRZ 250 off road
1979 Honda CBX 1000 (6 cyl) Sounds like a Jet...
post #7 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 4:44 pm Thread Starter

I was trying to point out the fact that some have said BMW needs to try to appeal to younger riders and the cover of BMW ON was a far cry from that.
post #8 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 5:03 pm

I'm 26... and hopefully far from grey hair!

When everything has left you, you are alone. When you've left everything behind, there's solitude. - Schiller

post #9 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerviperus
I'm 26... and hopefully far from grey hair!
Dude, I am like 27 and like no gray hair. Oh wait a second I don't talk like a surfer. But, I think it has more to do with a maturity aspect rather than an age aspect. I also believe anyone can afford a BMW, just depends on how new of a vehicle you want. But as stated before I don't think BMW does a very good job of targeting a younger crowd.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #10 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 8:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabrown
Dude, I am like 27 and like no gray hair. Oh wait a second I don't talk like a surfer. But, I think it has more to do with a maturity aspect rather than an age aspect. I also believe anyone can afford a BMW, just depends on how new of a vehicle you want. But as stated before I don't think BMW does a very good job of targeting a younger crowd.
Just went to ur website...great looking peanut !! congrats.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #11 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 8:24 pm

I'm sure once BMW joins WSBK in 2009 and release the new 1000cc race bike they will acheive a younger fan base. They are going to have to get some wins to get noticed. And pricing on all their models, it has to be competitive. BMW can acheive this if they start listening to their loyal customer base and bring out models the average person can afford. I enjoy the fact that both my Duc and BMW are a bit 'exotic' compared to other brands, but they are only motorcycles, and as such need to stir the soul a bit more to compensate for their ridiculous maintenance and dealership costs.
post #12 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 8:57 pm

It is what it is. Not many young riders are willing to shell out twenty grand for a bike that wont outrun the ten grand Yamahas , Hondas, and Kows. That'd be my guess.

The other side of the coin is there is little or no advertising and supply is not much on buying Beemers in masse. There are just no young fellas out looking at beemers or Harley Davidsons for that matter. Everyone who can spend that kind of money in my neighborhood are driving tuner cars and becomeing Metro Sexuals not buying or riding bikes.

Now go to the Kawasaki store and they are buying all kinds of bikes mostly crotch rockets , same at the Honda store and Yamadogs are moving out pretty much with crossovers and dirtbikes and R1's. So I'm thinking the young guys are just not into overpriced maintenance schedules and the word got out to them that buying a Beemer is the easy part and they are not slow but sure aren't going to win a drag race either.

That's my very unscientific observation. Heck when I was in my Thirties I sold my bikes and bought race cars and Sail Boats , bikes were just not my thing anymore once they got expensive.

Come to think of it how many thirty year olds do you see on Gold Wings. Matching helmets and all, that was my dream when I tricked out my old 650 back in the day but no one my age could afford an Interstate Honda back them much less now.

I'd say that has something to do with it. Speed sells. Moto GP sells, no where can I think of is there a track side marketing strategy for "win on Sunday , sell on Monday " for Beemers

Just old old farts opinion, FWIW

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #13 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 9:13 pm

I think you got it right. If you want power, it is cheaper to go with the regular brands. I like touring and doing curves which the BMW's fit in nicely. That being said, I've got nearly 80K miles on LT's since I was 19. I don't live much of a normal life either so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #14 of 26 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 6:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

I just got my second copy of BMWON and I was looking at the rally pics. I've never attended a BMW rally but I looked at the pics and I thougt......"Man.........is this an AARP rally or what?" I'm 60 and my neighbor across the street said I must be getting old since I turned in my Midnight Venture for a BMW. I wrote it off because she doesn't ride a bike and has no idea how much more fun this LT is to ride than the Yamaha. I guess she thinks it's tame because it doesn't wake her up when I leave for a ride at 5 AM...............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #15 of 26 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
I just got my second copy of BMWON and I was looking at the rally pics. I've never attended a BMW rally but I looked at the pics and I thougt......"Man.........is this an AARP rally or what?" I'm 60 and my neighbor across the street said I must be getting old since I turned in my Midnight Venture for a BMW. I wrote it off because she doesn't ride a bike and has no idea how much more fun this LT is to ride than the Yamaha. I guess she thinks it's tame because it doesn't wake her up when I leave for a ride at 5 AM...............
My SO and I attended the Rally in Gillette. AT 56 years of age...I would say we represented the middle of the attendees pack.

Age doesn't matter...it's the Ride!
post #16 of 26 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC

Not sure why...
Maybe it is because they aren't as fast as they used to be and riding a BMW give them an excuse as to why they are riding slow.

Or maybe they just enjoy spending the majority of their time adding farkles and troubleshooting problems.

When I go to the BMW shop all the people in there are old fossils talking about how motorcycles used to be.

Slow! Who rides slow? I'm 61 and I still can't stop meeting LEOs (occasionally, whew), though I try not too. I can still knock off 1,000 days with ease.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #17 of 26 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
I'm 61 and I still can't stop meeting LEOs (occasionally, whew), though I try not too. I can still knock off 1,000 days with ease.
Yeah, but still doesn't mean you're not an olde phart!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #18 of 26 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Yeah, but still doesn't mean you're not an olde phart!!
I resemble that remark, also! But, I'm a frisky ole fart!

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #19 of 26 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:51 pm

I think it is a matter of maturity. Model to model, most BMWs are more expensive than others. In my younger years, I bought all the flashy popular bikes. Now I just want something that is reliable and functional, and maybe one that not every other rider you see is on. When I had the LT, and now with the GS, my bike is always a topic of conversation at crowded stops.
post #20 of 26 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:45 am

This is a serious issue for BMW ... they know that their client base is ageing and new entrants are also more matured. The F800 series was specifically designed to draw a younger group. Here in ZA the pricing of the 800's makes them more affordable but there is a general assumption amongst the younger clients that BMW's are too expensive and they accept this without looking at the bikes and getting all the facts.

More and more younger guys are buying the K bikes here because they are seeing the advantage in the longer service intervals, generally lower costs per service and the Roadside Assist that is included in the price.

The purchase of Husquavarna was done specifically to gain access to that big young user base.

A large proportion of BMW bike owners also owns BMW cars and this is the main reason for many of the electronic gadgetry that is now standard on BMW bikes ... the owner of 7 series BMW does not even ask about ABS ... he just assumes it will be there, same goes for cruise control, anti skid control etc.

Rumour has it that a few more models are in the works specifically for the younger riders.

Another truth is that if measured against the Japanese brands then Motorrad is actually a very small manufacturer with small capacity.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #21 of 26 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC

Not sure why...

You're right - I NEVER hang around the BMW motorcycle dealership.

However - when I pull into my Mercedes dealership it's full of hotties with tight asses in short skirts and designer suits. They're always telling me older guys know how to treat women well, make them laugh and get "distinguished" looking as we age.

Or is that EXtinguished? My hearing isn't what it used to be.....

Just remember - age and treachery beat youth and ambition - EVERY TIME!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #22 of 26 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 1:10 am

19 year old brain. 62 year old body.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #23 of 26 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 4:55 am

The post is titled "Age Issue". Just curious as to why you think age is an issue?

R1200RT
MSF RiderCoach
post #24 of 26 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
I received two bike mags yesterday: the BMWON and Motorcyclist. Motorcyclist had several pages devoted to young riders that was pretty impressive. The front cover of BMWON had a picture of a couple in their 80s. Just an observation.
You would not think that age is an issue when you look at the average age (65+) of couples who circumnavigate in sailboats. An exponentially more difficult task (mentally and physically) then any motorcycle.
post #25 of 26 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 8:42 pm

"greyhair" ?

We prefer the term "Silverback."

...and I've always been slow.

Rick

2014 K1600GTL Exclusive
2013 R1200GS LC
2011 Husqvarna TE630

"Never ask a man what computer he uses; if it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" -- Tom Clancy
post #26 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2008, 10:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
I was trying to point out the fact that some have said BMW needs to try to appeal to younger riders and the cover of BMW ON was a far cry from that.
I bought my first BMW (R80) 20 years ago at 22. I bought my second at 42 (R1200RT). That picture gives me hope! - Still have the R80 now R80RT.

The article about the couple who bought the K1 sidecar rig was a story of love and hope. Motorcyling can be a lifelong love affair.

Somehow I do not feel the need to sell the brand to younger riders. Serious riders will eventually come to BMW. Other brands are just another way of weeding out the non riders.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in