FJR test ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 9:26 am Thread Starter

FJR test ride

Well, itís a lot like I remember the ST 1300 I drove this summer. My guess is it may produce less engine heat. However, I believe the 1300 was smoother. There was a noticeable high frequency vibration in this bikeÖwell noticeable to me and Iím pretty sure my wife would notice it, too. And it seemed like an engine vibration. It was not bad, but it was there. And there is nothing like it on the K bikes. The wind protection was better than I expected. And the bike was quick. Itís lightness was a welcome feature, too. It definitely handles differently in the curves. The shorter bars mean you really have to lean more. That just takes some getting used to. Excellent brakes. Be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Concourse.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 9:43 am

Re: FJR test ride

Was this a new/demo, or a used bike? If so what year?

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #3 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Was this a new/demo, or a used bike? If so what year?
It was a 2006 with about 25k on it.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 9:59 am

Here's your Concours demo ride:

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
It was a 2006 with about 25k on it.
Yamaha has made a lot of changes to the FJR for 2008 and at least one for 2009. I don't think you can compare the '06 to the'08-'09s. The newer bikes are smoother, have improved engine management, better ABS brakes, better heat management, less clutch force required...etc.

The best place to gather info is the... FJR Forum!

I'm trying to find a dealer to let me ride one! No luck around here yet... BMW does spoil you on Test Rides...the UJM boys don't think anyone needs to 'Try' their product before hand.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #6 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:09 am

Interesting...

If the new Concours is as smooth as my ZX-11 was, you're in for a treat ... and umm ... get your wallet out. Keep us updated.
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
And they're not biased at all either!

Quote:
BMW does spoil you on Test Rides...
HUH???!!! Your the first person that I've ever heard make that claim.
post #8 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:21 am

I test rode a new '07 and experienced the same high frequency buzz in the pegs and seat. I think that can be solved by syncing throttle bodies. At least I think that's what I remember hearing.

The Concours (notice no e) is smooth, real smooth. But it seems to have a characteristic where if the tires are low makes it hard to corner. The test ride I had, I had to fight it to lean over in the corners. Those that own them say you must maintain proper tire pressure to make it handle correctly. The stock windscreen doesn't protect you much from the wind either. I think the FJR does a much better job.

If I remember correctly, the FJR offers heated grips and adjustable bars, albeit not as adjustable as the GT. Now that I think about it, at the time only the AE offered heated grips. But the neat thing about them was that they were variable, not just a Hi/Lo/Off setting.

Both are great bikes. If it were me and I didn't want another GT, I think I'd opt for the FJR. The styling appeals to me more than the 14.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:38 am

Well I have been "test" riding my FJR for 10,000 miles now. I was able to get my FJR smoothed out with just a simple syncing of the throttle bodies. The 08 updates did a great job with the fuel injection, the throttle is smooth as silk. Also the updated ABS brakes are amazing. The fit and finish rivals BMW and so far my FJR has been bullet proof.
Surprisingly maintainance has proven to be simple and easy, just needed to learn the tupperware routine like the BMW's. So far I really have enjoyed my FJR a lot and the fact that I bought it Out the Door for under 13K keeps me smiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RCB tour June July 055.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	19831   Click image for larger version

Name:	RCB tour June July 035.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	19832   Click image for larger version

Name:	RCB tour June July 056.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	19833   Click image for larger version

Name:	RCB tour June July 075.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	549.3 KB
ID:	19834  

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

Last edited by amarider; Oct 1st, 2008 at 10:56 am.
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Yamaha has made a lot of changes to the FJR for 2008 and at least one for 2009. I don't think you can compare the '06 to the'08-'09s. The newer bikes are smoother, have improved engine management, better ABS brakes, better heat management, less clutch force required...etc.

I'm trying to find a dealer to let me ride one! No luck around here yet... BMW does spoil you on Test Rides...the UJM boys don't think anyone needs to 'Try' their product before hand.
Good info, thanks. Good luck with finding an FJR to test ride. I know the local dealer in Iowa City is perfectly willing to let me test drive the Concourse.

Greg

post #11 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:58 am

The Dealers out here in Nor Cal were also willing to give test rides on the FJR and the Councours.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I test rode a new '07 and experienced the same high frequency buzz in the pegs and seat. I think that can be solved by syncing throttle bodies. At least I think that's what I remember hearing.

The Concours (notice no e) is smooth, real smooth. But it seems to have a characteristic where if the tires are low makes it hard to corner. The test ride I had, I had to fight it to lean over in the corners. Those that own them say you must maintain proper tire pressure to make it handle correctly. The stock windscreen doesn't protect you much from the wind either. I think the FJR does a much better job.

If I remember correctly, the FJR offers heated grips and adjustable bars, albeit not as adjustable as the GT. Now that I think about it, at the time only the AE offered heated grips. But the neat thing about them was that they were variable, not just a Hi/Lo/Off setting.

Both are great bikes. If it were me and I didn't want another GT, I think I'd opt for the FJR. The styling appeals to me more than the 14.
The '06 I drove had a C-Bailey windshield, so it may have been a bit more protection than stock.

Greg

post #13 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Well I have been "test" riding my FJR for 10,000 miles now. I was able to get my FJR smoothed out with just a simple syncing of the throttle bodies. The 08 updates did a great job with the fuel injection, the throttle is smooth as silk. Also the updated ABS brakes are amazing. The fit and finish rivals BMW and so far my FJR has been bullet proof.
Surprisingly maintainance has proven to be simple and easy, just needed to learn the tupperware routine like the BMW's. So far I really have enjoyed my FJR a lot and the fact that I bought it Out the Door for under 13K keeps me smiling.
Looks like a nice bike. Thanks for the input about the vibration issue.

Greg

post #14 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 2:45 pm

Hey Joe, you fishing or trolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And they're not biased at all either!
The FJR site is no more biased than WE ARE! Or have you changed your spots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
HUH???!!! Your the first person that I've ever heard make that claim.
You walk into a BMW dealer and say..."I'd like to try THAT one..then...that one...and maybe that one!" They say YES! What aren't you getting?? The UJM dealers simply don't do that in many parts of the country.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #15 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 6:31 pm

Quote:
You walk into a BMW dealer and say..."I'd like to try THAT one..then...that one...and maybe that one!" They say YES! What aren't you getting?? The UJM dealers simply don't do that in many parts of the country.
I had the exact opposite experience when looking for my new bike. I could walk into any of the local Japanese dealers and test ride any bike on the floor. However, my closest BMW dealer quit offering test rides on any new bikes, and had no used or demos around. I had to drive an additional hour away to another dealer that luckily had a demo bike. I understand not wanting to take a risk and put potentially unnecessary miles on a brand new bike, but by the same token, I wasn't ready to drop near $20K for a bike I couldn't even ride.

I guess I could also approach the FJR issue. I rode a friend of mine's before I bought my RT. I liked it; it had excellent power (though the throttle seemed to be on or off, there was no smoothness), wind protection wasn't bad (though not up to the RT), and it handled exceptionally well. I just can't get used to that much arch in my back. I'm sure that could be adjusted with some bar risers, but I really wanted the "luxuries" that came with the RT.

When everything has left you, you are alone. When you've left everything behind, there's solitude. - Schiller

post #16 of 17 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 9:18 pm

I sold my '07 RT and bought an '07 FJR after riding a friends '04 FJR. Excellent power, wind protection definitely not that of the RT, not as comfortable as the RT. And I also found myself missing the "luxuries" of the RT. After 9 months of FJR ownership I went back to the RT (an '08 model) and am much happier. I'm glad I had the opportunity to own the FJR, turns out it just didn't do it for me the way the RT does.

As far as the Japanese dealers offering test rides; that's virtually unheard of in my area. The only dealers offering test rides are BMW and sometimes Harley.

Mike
post #17 of 17 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:42 pm

This afternoon I had the chance to put a few highway miles on an '08 FJR that a friend purchased this morning. For the money it's a very impressive bike. Smooth as silk (no buzz at all at any speed), perfectly happy to idle away from a dead stop, excellent wind management. I don't want one but for someone who's looking for a sport touring machine with the emphasis on "sport" it's a heck of a buy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in