AAA and flat tires - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 8:23 am Thread Starter

AAA and flat tires

Last Sunday (yesterday) I had a flat rear tire on my LT in rural SC. Tire went down slow enough not to cause any danger, I may have even rode with it down as far as it would go for a few miles. Is that possible? Anyway, I found a safe place to pull over and called AAA. I told them I would need someone with experience and equipment for a heavy motorcycle. I was already worrying about trying to put an 800+ pound bike on a roll back. I was surprised to see they sent and older S10 pickup with a trailer and two men. We loaded the bike on the trailer and strapped it down. They had several good straps and I of course had my soft ties. I was back home with the bike in my garage in less than four hours. BTW I was about 40 miles from home. All in all I was pleased with the service.
PS: I think the trailer may be the best way to go when towing a motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 10:40 am

Re: AAA and flat tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
Last Sunday (yesterday) I had a flat rear tire on my LT in rural SC. Tire went down slow enough not to cause any danger, I may have even rode with it down as far as it would go for a few miles. Is that possible? Anyway, I found a safe place to pull over and called AAA. I told them I would need someone with experience and equipment for a heavy motorcycle. I was already worrying about trying to put an 800+ pound bike on a roll back. I was surprised to see they sent and older S10 pickup with a trailer and two men. We loaded the bike on the trailer and strapped it down. They had several good straps and I of course had my soft ties. I was back home with the bike in my garage in less than four hours. BTW I was about 40 miles from home. All in all I was pleased with the service.
PS: I think the trailer may be the best way to go when towing a motorcycle.

Did you not have a flat tire kit for your bike. Many flat tires can be repaired on the bike with a kit and some CO2 cartridges to re inflate or one of the mint compressors on the market. I have such a kit and would not hesitate to use it if the occassion arises.

It sounds good that at least you had a good experience . I'm still under warranty and have a roadside assist with BMW as part of that. I've often wondered if anyone had to exercise that part of their warranty and how it went. Mercedes used to be really good at timely on site service but I've never heard if BMW is or not.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #3 of 3 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Re: AAA and flat tires

Good outcome!

However, for others: not all AAA plans cover bikes. North Jersey AAA does not.

Check out and make proper arrangements BEFORE you need them.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in