Yamaha FJR - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Yamaha FJR

I am thinking seriously about buying one. Does anyone here have any direct experience with this bike they'd like to share.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 9:58 am

Re: Yamaha FJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
I am thinking seriously about buying one. Does anyone here have any direct experience with this bike they'd like to share.
Best deal in the sport touring category. I definitely would recommend an '06 or later though, Yamaha made quite a few improvements over the first generation. The second gen has much better heat/wind management, a longer wheelbase, better stock seat, narrower rear section, adjustable bars, and more amperage to play with. FJRs are comfortable, fast, gorgeous (subjective), affordable (again), and have proven to be stone reliable.

I had an '06 up until a couple months ago, and had I known for sure I wouldn't need a two up touring bike after Gail got her Spyder, the LT would have been gone and the FJR would still be here. No doubt about it.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #3 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:23 am

Yep ... what Dave said. Well, except the "Best deal in the sport touring category." statement. Don't buy an FJR without looking at the new Kaw Concours 14. It's been out over a year now with zero reliability issues. I'll be buying one next Spring.

post #4 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
..except the "Best deal in the sport touring category." statement.
The Connie stickers for less than the FJR new, this is correct. Shop around...

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #5 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Yep ... what Dave said. Well, except the "Best deal in the sport touring category." statement. Don't buy an FJR without looking at the new Kaw Concours 14. It's been out over a year now with zero reliability issues. I'll be buying one next Spring.
Yep, have been looking at that, too. I can get an 08 (not used) for $12500 here locally. Very tempting.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #6 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:02 am

Smile Re: Yamaha FJR

We have an 05 FJR and love it. Will probably upgrade to an 08 ABS model. Looked and sat on the new Connie and we do not like it.
Neither one of us like the slab sided GT...

Bags are an afterthought, Hate the Pass Key, NO UNDERSEAT storage of anykind... heavier, wider feeling and taller than the FJR..*just did not feel right to us.

There are Yami peeps and Kawi peeps...it's all about choice.

YMMV....

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #7 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
We have an 05 FJR and love it. Will probably upgrade to an 08 ABS model. Looked and sat on the new Connie and we do not like it.
Neither one of us like the slab sided GT...

Bags are an afterthought, Hate the Pass Key, NO UNDERSEAT storage of anykind... heavier, wider feeling and taller than the FJR..*just did not feel right to us.

There are Yami peeps and Kawi peeps...it's all about choice.

YMMV....
I really appreciate your input. Guess I will have to drive both to know for sure. But, from what you said it has me leaning a bit more to the FJR.

Greg

post #8 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 1:20 pm

If I were looking for another Sport/Touring motorcycle, it would probably be a FJR.

B D R
post #9 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 6:15 pm

Greg,

After my S/O put most of the 20,000 (S)miles on the 05 FJR and even rides it on Mike Sullivan track days in Seattle @ Pacific Raceway she feels that any other mc would be a step down... I agree.

The problem now is she is so darn cocky on it and * F A S T -

It has been great bike. It has push button Cruise control, heated grips, JC Box, 12V port, etc.

*We recently lost a V-Strom buddy who took her bike for a 10 minute ride a 2 months ago and 4 days later he now owns a new 08 Black ABS FJR1300...the little wee strom is history.

You could do alot worse than picking one of the top rated sport tour bikes.

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #10 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Greg,

I'm another convert to the FJR. I bought a new 07' A-model back in November. I wasn't two-up riding all that much anymore so I wanted to go a little lighter and a lot sportier...but with all-day-long ride-ability. With some ergo and comfort changes (Russell seats/peg lowerers/Heli tripple/Cee Bailey screen) I've got a bike that is MUCH more comfortable for me than the LT was. The wind/weather protection is a step back however. I completed my first Iron butt ride...SS1K...on it in May. Would not have tried that on the LT. I'm not missing the electronic cruise control like I thought I would...I installed a vista cruise throttle lock. My ABS brakes work on this bike. I enjoy how much quicker the FJR is over the heavy LT. Most folks consider the FJR heavy...but coming down from an LT it will seem light.

Wife and I looked at the connie long and hard. In fact, we put off the FJR purchase for the sole purpose of waiting for the connie to hit the streets. It was a no-go for us once we kicked tires and got on it. Just personal preference...nothing wrong with it...in fact, a lot right with it!

It's pretty bullet-proof. No real issues other than the on-off throttle complaint. But it was addressed on the 08' model and most of that can be fixed on the 05'-07' years. 05' and newer are considered Gen II bikes and better off. 06' and newer has ABS standard. One big pro is the dealer network for these bikes...unlike BMW...Yamaha everywhere.

Funny thing. Now that I have the FJR...I'm back to riding two-up a lot more again as the wife absolutely loves it. (I put a back rest on it for her). I still miss the LT...but I consider the FJR much more fun to ride.

For me it came down to a decision between the:
BMW GT - no dealers w/i 4 hrs...so no.
Honda ST - looks like a scooter/ugly bagless/too much rider heat...so no.
Kaw Conc14 - didn't speak to me/wife hated it...so no.
Yama FJR - Awww, that's what I'm talking about!

Go to www.fjrforum.com and become a member for all the word on the FJR.

post #11 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:40 pm
fas

Talking Re: Yamaha FJR

Quote:

Ride the KAW and the YAMA before you do your deal.....

It's always a personal decision, but I would lean to the KAW for 2-up running.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #12 of 40 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 7:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird

It's pretty bullet-proof. No real issues other than the on-off throttle complaint. But it was addressed on the 08' model and most of that can be fixed on the 06'-07' years. 06' and newer are considered Gen II bikes and better off. 06' and newer has ABS standard. One big pro is the dealer network for these bikes...unlike BMW...Yamaha everywhere.
Fixed

The throttle on my '06 was a little tricky at first, but once I got used to it...no problem. Fairly easy fix for the guys that were really bugged by the sensitivity.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #13 of 40 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Fixed

The throttle on my '06 was a little tricky at first, but once I got used to it...no problem. Fairly easy fix for the guys that were really bugged by the sensitivity.
Thanks Dave for fixing my flubs. I thought 05' might have been wrong. I put a G2 on the bike and it is much better...but I'm still a little jerky going from off-throttle to on-throttle. Considering the unwind mod but still not sold on that.

Tom

post #14 of 40 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 2:37 pm

FWIW,
Motorcycle Consumer News did a comparo between the FJR, ST1300, and the new Kawasaki. The Kawa came in last. The FJR came in first place. I think they're a real bargain too. You get a lot of sport touring for 14K. In regards to the Kawasaki, I would not purchase any motorcycle that's the new improved version of a 20 year old model. They have some fixing to do on that one.

Most of the little gripes about it ,(FJR), can be fixed very easily. Namely, heated grips, better windshield, cruise control. Everybody (well almost), change the seat on every motorcycle so I won't go there. Best thing to do if you get one is, slap a beaded seat cover on there and spend your extra $$ on the other stuff. Pardon me if it's been mentioned but, you can find a ton of good information at www.fjrforum.com

It goes without saying that the BMW K1200GT in in a class of it's own but the FJR is very close and a hell of a lot cheaper. Bout 6K I think..

I have a friend that just returned to riding after many years of not riding. He studied every article and piece of info I could give him and chose a 2008 FJR1300A. I even rode it home for him.. very nice indeed.
post #15 of 40 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 4:16 pm

FJR vs Kow Concours, doesn't any one here like the RT choice. Having riden all three I got the RT. Some things are not the best this or that but the total package is far more satisfying. That in my view is the RT

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #16 of 40 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Thumbs up Re: Yamaha FJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx
FJR vs Kow Concours, doesn't any one here like the RT choice. Having riden all three I got the RT. Some things are not the best this or that but the total package is far more satisfying. That in my view is the RT

+1 My conclusion as well. I simply don't need/want 150hp.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #17 of 40 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 6:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
+1 My conclusion as well. I simply don't need/want 150hp.
+2. If anything I'll jump on a GS and go play in some dirt. Much more fun in my opinion.

Mark
'07 RT
post #18 of 40 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Quote:
+4 That's what I was thinking the entire time I was reading this. The RT is an incredible machine, it will out handle the FJR hands down, and it has plenty of power after all its a 1200 cc twin with 115 bhp so when you nail it, hold on, she's got long legs.

But most of all, it's that the RT has soul, it talks to you. I've had plenty of inline fours and I'll never go back, most of them feel like you're driving a table or better yet a Camry, there is no feedback nor soul that I demand if I'm going to shell out my hard earned money. The Japanese they just do what that supposed to do, nothing more, nothing less. My other bike is a Triumph 3 cylinder and it also has soul too.

After riding for 30 years and owning 14 bikes, I now have a new saying "the less cylinders the better." I know the FJR is a good bike, the RT on the other hand is an exceptional bike.

Michael

Last edited by Vffr1; Sep 28th, 2008 at 11:02 pm.
post #19 of 40 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:01 pm

+3. I had an '07 RT. Sold it and got an '07 FJR. What a rocket. Did the throttle spring unwind. Added an MCL riser plate and Pirates Lair backrest. Really liked it, but in the end it just wasn't doing it for me. I missed my RT. Although the RT can't match the performance of the FJR, some of the things that I noticed were that the RT was more comfortable, fit and finish quality was better, wind protection was better, electronic cruise control and E.S.A. just to name a few. Nine months later I traded the FJR and rejoined the RT fellowship with an '08 model. It was a great homecoming.

The FJR is indeed a fine machine for the money. I think the RT is better, but you're gonna pay for it.

Mike
post #20 of 40 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 6:38 pm

why did MCN not like the C14? Which one has the most up right riding position?
thank's bone1
post #21 of 40 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 7:25 pm

I'd have to go back and read the comparo but I think one issue was the transmission. Another was the key fob thingy. Another, it's tall, giant muffler, less than desirable bags..... anyway, they dug the FJ.

Guys, I agree the RT is a great bike but he originally asked what we think of an FJR. Again, for the money, it's hard to beat. Hell, if they would paint the next model that nice, deep burgundy, I'm in.
post #22 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 7:36 am

If I were to go "sport-touring" one up, and money be damned it would be in this order GSA, RT, GT, FJR. The GSA just does it all (one up). If I have to bring the SO it's only on the LT. I've ridden all, own an LT and GT and my two buddies I ride with all the time both have the GSA and FJR. Having said that I am not so patiently waiting the arrival of my new '09 Wee-Strom (w/ABS). So many great bikes and not enough time and money! I want one of everything.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #23 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 7:46 am

I have an LT and a GSA. My buddy has an LT, GS, FJR, and a Hayabusa as well as some others.
When go on rides and mix 'em up, we always say how great they all are; just in slightly different ways. C-14's, RT's, GT's, ST1300's would join this catagory as well.
Sport touring motorcycles are all at the top of the game...ain't it great?
Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #24 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
I have an LT and a GSA. My buddy has an LT, GS, FJR, and a Hayabusa as well as some others.
When go on rides and mix 'em up, we always say how great they all are; just in slightly different ways. C-14's, RT's, GT's, ST1300's would join this catagory as well.
Sport touring motorcycles are all at the top of the game...ain't it great?
Keith

Being the "buddy"..I couldn't agree more..as KK610 notes, there are lots of great choices in the ST catagory ( way better selection than in the LT catagory).

I do have an 05 fjr set up with Heli bars, fender extender and a taller/wider Cee Balieys. I give the beemers ( rt, gt, gs) the edge in braking, the fjr, c14 & gt the edge in power plant, the rt, st, gs in touring comfort and the fjr, c14 the lead in value but my overall opinion is they are all great bikes. My suggestion is not going to reccomend whats best for you, but FOR YOU to sort out YOUR priorities ( touring comfort & protection, performance & power, relative value/budget, dealer network/support etc) and then chose what works best for your priorities & wallet. That will be the best answer for you. Personally, If I could only have one bike to "do it all", these can all be great choices.

Last edited by clawsonbob; Oct 2nd, 2008 at 9:28 am.
post #25 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 9:51 am

Here is a link to a fairly new FJR forum:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #26 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 6:43 pm

Garage

I test rode a FJR (06 I think) before buying my 07 RT. I wasn't impressed other than the arm stretching power. After a 20 minute test ride I was looking foreward to getting back on my 00 RT. The personality of the bike was totally different. No soul in my opinion.
post #27 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 7:33 pm

[QUOTE=Vffr1]+4 That's what I was thinking the entire time I was reading this. The RT is an incredible machine, it will out handle the FJR hands down, and it has plenty of power after all its a 1200 cc twin with 115 bhp so when you nail it, hold on, she's got long legs.

But most of all, it's that the RT has soul, it talks to you. I've had plenty of inline fours and I'll never go back, most of them feel like you're driving a table or better yet a Camry, there is no feedback nor soul that I demand if I'm going to shell out my hard earned money. The Japanese they just do what that supposed to do, nothing more, nothing less. My other bike is a Triumph 3 cylinder and it also has soul too.

After riding for 30 years and owning 14 bikes, I now have a new saying "the less cylinders the better." I know the FJR is a good bike, the RT on the other hand is an exceptional bike.

Michael[/QUOTE

The RT really does have soul , baby.
post #28 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 9:20 pm

We recently test rode both the new GT and the RT @ our local BMW dealer....

The RT was the slowest and softest engine. After we have had the FJR and K1200 NO way was this this over hyped 2 cylinder a contender or any match for an FJR.. I have owned RT's since the first new one I bought in 1981 so BMW's are not new to me.. but after having an LT K1200 4 cylinder, FJR1300 and now the V-Strom I am amazed at what people see in the RT, truly. It does not even have the get up and go the V-Strom1000 does and that has a smaller engine.

YMMV......

*Ridin steady since 1973

Last edited by usmctpdog; Oct 2nd, 2008 at 9:25 pm.
post #29 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
We recently test rode both the new GT and the RT @ our local BMW dealer....

The RT was the slowest and softest engine. After we have had the FJR and K1200 NO way was this this over hyped 2 cylinder a contender or any match for an FJR.. I have owned RT's since the first new one I bought in 1981 so BMW's are not new to me.. but after having an LT K1200 4 cylinder, FJR1300 and now the V-Strom I am amazed at what people see in the RT, truly. It does not even have the get up and go the V-Strom1000 does and that has a smaller engine.

YMMV......
The RT is a fun bike, the only thing wrong, it is just missing 2 cylinders.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #30 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:15 pm

I test rode both FJR and new Kawasaki Concours. I enjoyed FJR more than Conie. I still like LT the best.

Quote:

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #31 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_rdr55
If I were to go "sport-touring" one up, and money be damned it would be in this order GSA, RT, GT, FJR. The GSA just does it all (one up). If I have to bring the SO it's only on the LT. I've ridden all, own an LT and GT and my two buddies I ride with all the time both have the GSA and FJR. Having said that I am not so patiently waiting the arrival of my new '09 Wee-Strom (w/ABS). So many great bikes and not enough time and money! I want one of everything.

I got a serious urge for a wee strom , myself this summer. Drove up to Asheville where I got to ride the last one known to exist new at the time and boy were they proud of it. Had they been willing to deal a bit on the outgoing model I'd maybe be riding it now. I loved everything about it as a one up go anywhere non compromising great bike. But for the money after getting the bags and gags installed and out the door it was too much dough for what it was and I would not be riding two up with near as much confindence. So I came back and traded my R model for the RT and havent looked back. Also , no offense , but to be such a good bike I found the greay goose to be the ugly duckling of Motorcycles and just couldn't really warm up to it's looks. Makes me want to go into designing bikes for these great Japanese builders who just seem to have trouble making a bike that is good looking and good working. The Wee was one of those bikes as I walked a few yards away and looked back at it , my thoughts were, I'm going to trade my R for THAT ?? as I drove back to Atlanta, having regained my sanity and glad I was still on the beemer.

Now If I had the dough for two bikes, I might actually buy the ugly beastie and see what I could do graphically to make it less obtuse to look at. LOL

post #32 of 40 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 8:28 am

Quote:
I got a serious urge for a wee strom , myself this summer. Drove up to Asheville where I got to ride the last one known to exist new at the time and boy were they proud of it. Had they been willing to deal a bit on the outgoing model I'd maybe be riding it now. I loved everything about it as a one up go anywhere non compromising great bike. But for the money after getting the bags and gags installed and out the door it was too much dough for what it was and I would not be riding two up with near as much confindence. So I came back and traded my R model for the RT and havent looked back. Also , no offense , but to be such a good bike I found the greay goose to be the ugly duckling of Motorcycles and just couldn't really warm up to it's looks. Makes me want to go into designing bikes for these great Japanese builders who just seem to have trouble making a bike that is good looking and good working. The Wee was one of those bikes as I walked a few yards away and looked back at it , my thoughts were, I'm going to trade my R for THAT ?? as I drove back to Atlanta, having regained my sanity and glad I was still on the beemer.

Now If I had the dough for two bikes, I might actually buy the ugly beastie and see what I could do graphically to make it less obtuse to look at. LOL
Fugly...I thought the same thing originally, but it's starting to grow on me a little. I havenít seen the silver/gray or the orange Ď09s yet so I may totally change my mind when they come on. If Iíve done my home work correctly, the price of the Wee-Strom for the performance/reliability you get is better than the other choices. Iíll drop another grand for Givi guards, Pelican bags, cruise and some other stuff, but thatís still less than halve of what I would have in a GSA. It will be interesting to compare the two bikes (my buddy has an í07 GSA) on some trails in Colorado next year. We usually take our KTMs (my 450 and his 520). If it turns out that the WEE isnít as good as everyone says it is, or if I decide that itís just not for me; well itís not like cancer, Iíll get rid of it and get something else.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #33 of 40 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 3:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1200rtc1
I test rode a FJR (06 I think) before buying my 07 RT. I wasn't impressed other than the arm stretching power. After a 20 minute test ride I was looking foreward to getting back on my 00 RT. The personality of the bike was totally different. No soul in my opinion.
Couldn't be more off the mark. The FJR has plenty of soul. I love mine more every time I ride it. Let's review the postives shall we:

1) Cheap to own and operate. New A models can be had for under $13k

2) Great dealer network

3) Mother Yamaha actually cares about her customers. You would not believe the support the factory provides, especially compared to BMWNA

4) Great farkle support by the aftermarket

5) Dead solid reliable. Several turning 100k miles now and STILL no valve adjustment required. Heck, the first check isn't until 26k!

The above are objective, what follows are not but they work for me:

6) Best looking sport tourer

7) Fantastic ergos (and this from an LT and Ultra guy)

8) When equipped with Staintunes (as mine is) a mechanical symphony that is on a very short list of the greatest sounding things in the world, especially at around 6k RPM

I'll run my '06 into the ground and then by another.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #34 of 40 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 4:12 pm

Quote:
The personality of the bike was totally different. No soul in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Couldn't be more off the mark. The FJR has plenty of soul.
Hhhmn... As a guy currently shopping for my next sport-tourer, I found that, (also just MY OPINION) the FJR does lack soul as well. I guess I'm "off the mark" too. Bummer.

post #35 of 40 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Couldn't be more off the mark. The FJR has plenty of soul. I love mine more every time I ride it. Let's review the postives shall we:

1) Cheap to own and operate. New A models can be had for under $13k

2) Great dealer network

3) Mother Yamaha actually cares about her customers. You would not believe the support the factory provides, especially compared to BMWNA

4) Great farkle support by the aftermarket

5) Dead solid reliable. Several turning 100k miles now and STILL no valve adjustment required. Heck, the first check isn't until 26k!

The above are objective, what follows are not but they work for me:

6) Best looking sport tourer

7) Fantastic ergos (and this from an LT and Ultra guy)

8) When equipped with Staintunes (as mine is) a mechanical symphony that is on a very short list of the greatest sounding things in the world, especially at around 6k RPM

I'll run my '06 into the ground and then by another.

I agree; that whole "it got no soul" BS is just that. I ridden the FJR and have riden thousands of miles with my FJR bud and it's a good bike, but (for me) my GT is better in almost everyway. It's got more soul and it just speaks to me...

EZ-RDR55

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #36 of 40 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 4:46 pm

Garage

First off I wouldn't own an A model. Second I got my speed rocks off in my 20's and early 30's street and drag racing cars. I don't ride balls to the wall on the street. My RT has plenty of power for me. Like I said the only thing I liked in the FJR was the arm stretching acceleration. I don't need that anymore. I guess its just what floats your boat. I'll stick to my RT and let the Yammies fly past. I think flatheads in street rods are cool, some people go for the blown hemis. Just a matter of taste.
post #37 of 40 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 4:56 pm

Quote:
First off I wouldn't own an A model.
A = ABS
AE = ABS + Electronic clutch

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #38 of 40 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 12:51 pm

Garage

Opps my bad. I definately would have abs.
post #39 of 40 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 7:45 pm

I keep up with any of my buddies no matter which crotch rocket they ride and yes the pull me a bit in the super twisties but in the high speed sweepers I just catch right back up. It is not all about horsepower , torque counts big time in the mountains as well as skill. I'm no track burning knee dragger but all that crap has no place on the street or mountain road anyway. We hauled off three to the hospital this morning at Suches during the time I was there. One or two just stupid guys and one wrote off one of the demo KTM's worth over twenty grand so there is no accounting for stupid , but alas, we all love to ride and ride hard . At the end of the day my RT will take me anywhere I want to go right up to my skill level and beyond so who cares about horse power. I love the look of the Yamaha and the Kow but in my heart I'd rather have a Beemer RT or a Guzzi Norge. They just got more soul for me and my particular taste buds. I also like all the neat apparel you can throw money at as well. It's all just about taste and I really dig the BMW thing right now.

But then I like Buell's and VStroms and lots of other bikes , heck I like em all but if I can only have one , I'm on it.

post #40 of 40 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Well like everyone else I have done some serious looking myself.... To make this real short but stating that I've looked at all bikes mentioned I'm stuck on the new Triumph tiger 1050 ABS.. To me in my personal opinion its the top of the list..........Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in