Fall Riding - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 12:27 am Thread Starter

Fall Riding

Its just a few miles riding to work in the morning on the LT. Nothing like the 300 - 500 mile weekend rides. Just heading east, still in the summer mesh riding jacket, helmet, gloves and boots. Feeling a little chilled at 61°F at 45 mph or so. Then, I get caught at a light - bummer at first, but in a moment, the sun begins warm the arms, legs feet and gloves.

Lordy, that is a wonderful feeling. Glancing at the cages around me, I feel so lucky to be sitting on the K1200LT, grinning and wondering if they know what they are missing.

Soon to be just a memory until the Spring, but what a moment.

Any other good fall stories out there?

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 6:55 am

Re: Fall Riding

Fall is the best season to ride. The mornings are cool, days are generally mild, the weather is more predictable, not as much rain and thunderstorms. My favorite time of the year, for sure. If you can go on a trip and catch the fall color somewhere, even better.
Your comment about being chilled on a 60* morning reminds me of a friend who commented once on a trip, " if you are cold half the time and hot the other half, you have dressed perfectly!"

DCH
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:49 am

Thumbs up Re: Fall Riding

Indian summer has arrived in Utah. I don't know the origin of the term, but to me it has always described the best time of year for most any outside activity.

This afternoon I'll take the wife on her first exploratory ride on "our" new to us LT. The route will be on the two-lane state and county back-ways, through the canyons and mountain valleys of north eastern Utah. I'll be sure to bundle her up, and show her how to set the heated seat & back rest controls for the cool crisp morning air. We'll put on some of our favorite mood music in the CD player, maybe some Beethoven piano pieces, or Vivaldi's four seasons, to play softly in the back ground. Finally, a picnic basket with some coffee for mornings, wine & cheese, etc, for afternoon. The aspen and oak brush leaves have started to turn to their spectaculer fall colors, and the local farmers will have their fruits and vegatables out for sale in roadside stands.

If I'm ever going to get her to enjoy motorcycle rides, this afternoon should be one of my best chances.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:25 am
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
This afternoon I'll take the wife on her first exploratory ride on "our" new to us LT. The route will be on the two-lane state and county back-ways, through the canyons and mountain valleys of north eastern Utah. I'll be sure to bundle her up, and show her how to set the heated seat & back rest controls for the cool crisp morning air. We'll put on some of our favorite mood music in the CD player, maybe some Beethoven piano pieces, or Vivaldi's four seasons, to play softly in the back ground. Finally, a picnic basket with some coffee for mornings, wine & cheese, etc, for afternoon. The aspen and oak brush leaves have started to turn to their spectaculer fall colors, and the local farmers will have their fruits and vegatables out for sale in roadside stands.
If I'm ever going to get her to enjoy motorcycle rides, this afternoon should be one of my best chances.
In my limited experience, if even a small fraction of this is true, you will have a very good afternoon, but a fantastic night .
We on the other hand are enjoying the remnants of hurricane Kyle as he passes by .... a little damp for picnics.
Enjoy!
Keir
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 1:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Great prose.
Thanks
Bob Leaky 00LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 11:03 am

Talking Re: Fall Riding

I agree. I love the cool mornings, then feeling the sun come out and in an instant warm you up. Certainly a great time to ride, but then I think it's great to ride in all seasons.
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 4:56 pm

Yea...you guys up north are SO lucky. It only got up to 83 here today.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 11:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
Lordy, that is a wonderful feeling. Glancing at the cages around me, I feel so lucky to be sitting on the K1200LT, grinning and wondering if they know what they are missing.
I was out running errands during lunch today. 100 degrees F (1:00 PM).
My wife picked up the kids at school. 107 degrees F (3:30 PM)
Commute home. 95 degrees F, all the way home. (6:30 PM)

I think that the drivers in cages were glancing at me, wondering what I was missing.
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 6:23 am

39 degrees F this AM, anything below 50 is pretty uncomfortable on the Bandit, looks like the truck will get the nod this morning.
With the LT's big fairing and heated tidbits I would be inclined to commute in 30 degree temps as work is only 3 miles across town. I truly enjoy fall riding though, especially if the temps are in the 60's with some sunshine.

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in