Picked up my new Harley Cross Bones - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Picked up my new Harley Cross Bones

Well...not really MY new Harley Cross Bones. It belongs to the company I work for. We give a new HD away every year to one of our customers (Chimney Sweeps). Drove it from Burlington, IA back to Fairfield, IA, about 70 miles using the back roads. It was fun for about the first 30 minutes.
1. Handling -- fageddaboudit -- none to speak of. You can scrape this thing if you even think about a curve.
2. Ride -- fuggedaboudit -- it is as bouncy as a semi. Don't know how fast this will go, but no one in his right mind would drive it over 70 on anything but a glass smooth surface.
3. Looks -- Nice, fairly authentic looking late 40's springer style. They could have made it even more authentic if they had and the the two pipes go into one muffler, like the older bikes.
4. Brakes -- Not impressive at all. Just hope you don't ever have to stop quickly.
5. Comfort -- See #2. Acceptable as long as you never drive it more than about 100 miles max.
6. Controls -- like all Harleys, just don't like them that far forward, very inconvenient. And, sorry, there is just no comfortable way to shift. Whether you use your toe or heel it is always awkward to shift this bike. More awkward with the heal I think. Who thought this up?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 8:23 am

Re: Picked up my new Harley Cross Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Well...not really MY new Harley Cross Bones. It belongs to the company I work for. We give a new HD away every year to one of our customers (Chimney Sweeps). Drove it from Burlington, IA back to Fairfield, IA, about 70 miles using the back roads. It was fun for about the first 30 minutes.
I think that's about the maximum time you're supposed to ride this model. Everyone knows if you want a real touring motorcycle - you get a Harley Road King

Cool thing your company does - thanks for supportin' HDMC.

Brad

2008 Harley Road King Classic
2005 BMW K1200S
1983 Honda CB Custom 1000
Gone, but not forgotten:
1995 Harley FatBoy
1972 Honda CB500 Four
1983 Suzuki DR250

CCRs - Breckenridge 04, Jackson Hole 05, Braselton 06, Osage Beach 07, Midway 08, Black Hills 09, Killington 10, Boise 11, Duluth 12, Bend 13, Chattanooga 14, Coeur d'Alene 15
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBrad08
I think that's about the maximum time you're supposed to ride this model. Everyone knows if you want a real touring motorcycle - you get a Harley Road King

Cool thing your company does - thanks for supportin' HDMC.
This will be the 6th year.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 12:42 pm

Talking Re: Picked up my new Harley Cross Bones

The crossbones is a different kind of ride. That goes without question. I took one on a short 20 mile test ride and found it to be pretty cool and it was easy to get used to and find its special rhythm. It's not a sport bike, but then it doesn't pretend to be one.

I had a great time trying out bumps and potholes with it. I hit everything I could find and came away amazed. This thing rides much better that my resprung, Ohlin equipped LT.

I'd love to have one as a second bike (the handle bars would have to be replaced with something lower).

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 12:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in