iPhone volume - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

iPhone volume

Is anyone using an iPhone on their bike. I have had no problems with other cell phones and my Autocom unit, but with the iPhone I have almost no volume. I can't see where there is any volume control on the iPhone either.

Any ideas on how to get more volume other than a different cell phone?

-Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 2:15 pm

Re: iPhone volume

Looking at the iPhone screen, look on the left edge. The top black thingie is the ringer on/off switch. Below that is the volume toggle. Crank it all the way up and you'll hear it fine. I never have to have it high though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 6:00 pm

Doug is correct about the location of the volume control for the iPhone. That same control also works if you are using the iPod music function on the iPhone. This allows you to increase or decrease the volume of music which is impossible with gloves on since the touch screen volume control will not react to a gloved hand. I am normally operating my volume at about 2/3 which is more than adequate even at 70 mph or up. My system is a bit different, however. I have a WiRevo dongle on the iPhone broadcasting the bluetooth signal to a Camos with helmet speakers. Both the WiRevo and the Camos have volume controls so I have three possible ways to control the iPhone volume. All three are normally at about 2/3 since if anyone or all are higher than that I start to get distortion on the music. With this set up, I am able to hear the iPhone actually better at 70mph through my helmet that I can just using the phone normally. Hope that helps.

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 6:09 pm

It depends on how you're connecting the iPhone to the autocom, and whether you're talking about phone calls or music. If you use bluetooth for the phone calls, then the volume is fixed -- usually it's under control of the bluetooth headset. If there's a GPS in the picture here (that is, iPhone -> GPS -> autocom bluetooth adapter), then you can set the phone call volume in the GPS.

For music you've probably plugged the iPhone into the autocom using the 3.5mm headphone adapter, in which case the volume buttons on the side of iPhone will control the music volume. You might want to get a remote that plugs into the iPhone dock connector so you can change the volume on the fly. I've got this setup for music through my Autocom, and it works well.

Finally, the speakers that come with the autocom headset aren't very good. I wear earplugs when I ride, and I can barely hear the autocom through them or over the wind noise. Like many others I replaced the speakers with some from a set from some Koss titanium headphones from Radio Shack, which are much louder and also produce better quality music. I can hear them at speed with earplugs in, no problem. I wrote about my conversion in this thread.
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 6:29 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The rocker button on the left side of the phone seems to only control the ringer volume, I am interested in increasing the volume of a phone conversation. I have the iPhone connected to the Autocom through the mini-pin headphone connection on the top of the phone.

I notice that the earphone, microphone combination that came with the i-Phone is a stereo, three ring pin and my connection to the Autocom is only a two ring (mono) connector could this cause a decrease in volume?

-Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 7:04 am

The rocker switch does control the call vol, the ringer vol, and the iPod vol. If yours doesn't control the call vol, you have a bad unit.

Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 7:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
The rocker switch does control the call vol, the ringer vol, and the iPod vol. If yours doesn't control the call vol, you have a bad unit.
That may not be true. It depends on how the iPhone is hooked up, and how the Autocom handles inputs. I've not played with one myself, but with other units they take an input signal and the switching unit (Autocom in this case) ignores the volume control from the original source in favor of the switch controlling the volume. What that means is that the volume control on the iPhone/other source does nothing. You may be able to "cheat" this by maxing out the volume before plugging it in.

An easy way to check the iPhone's switch is to play some music through the headphones/speaker and see if your volume switch works. You can also play with the Sound Check option. Info on that is here.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 8:11 am

I know the control works on my Motocomm. I would think that any intercom unit would just take the signal from anything and pass it through. The only exception would be a line out, which has a constant output level. An audio out should be adjustable on any device through any intercom.

charlieg, can you adjust the call vol with the rocker with no headset plugged in? How about when the iPhone headset is plugged in?

EDIT: charlieg - did you buy the tty adapter for the iPhone? I needed that to connect to my Motocomm.

Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 11:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
I notice that the earphone, microphone combination that came with the i-Phone is a stereo, three ring pin and my connection to the Autocom is only a two ring (mono) connector could this cause a decrease in volume?
Probably. AFAIK there is no adapter that lets you use the autocom with the iPod as a telephone headset, because the iPod connector isn't standard. So you may be routing one of the audio channels to the autocom microphone or something like that.

The only phone connections I'm familiar with for autocom use bluetooth for the telephone conversation (uses the headset profile, which is mono audio with a microphone) and a wired connection for music only (stereo audio, no microphone.) Yes, this means your iPod is plugged in to two different inputs on the autocom, but it all works out.
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 2:38 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
Thanks for the replies. The rocker button on the left side of the phone seems to only control the ringer volume, I am interested in increasing the volume of a phone conversation. I have the iPhone connected to the Autocom through the mini-pin headphone connection on the top of the phone.

-Chuck-
To add to the other comments - the rocker will control the ringer volume, when the phone is in standby, the iTunes volume when playing iTunes and the phone call volume when in call. Make a phone call and while the call is in progress, adjust the volume.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Make a phone call and while the call is in progress, adjust the volume.
Would I have to put down my kkkkkkkkaffee, stop applying make-up, quit texting and get out of the left hand lane to accomplish this?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Would I have to put down my kkkkkkkkaffee, stop applying make-up, quit texting and get out of the left hand lane to accomplish this?
And don't forgit your turn signal!!!!
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
And don't forgit your turn signal!!!!
You know they don't know what that is.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in