What I have learned from the BMW Luxury Touring site and why I contribute to it: - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 7:50 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

What I have learned from the BMW Luxury Touring site and why I contribute to it:

It was time for my annual contribution and I was thinking about what this sites means to me, my GBFP (Green Big Fat Pig) and what I have learned to do to my bike to add to my enjoyement and riding comfort.

1. How to change the three major fluids.
2. The correct amount of air pressure for my tires.
3. How to install an HID headlight.
4. How to install an intercom.
5. How to lower the seat.
6. How and why to protect the headlight.
7. How to install a GPS.
8. How to install a Smarttire system.
9. How to install quick disconnects.
10. How to take off the windshield.
11. How to slide the top case back for extra room.
12. How to remove and replace the plastic.
13. How to install a Remus exhaust system.
14. Which oil to use and how often to change it.
15. How to wire the three tail lights together.
16. Numerous items bought and sold.
16. All the other little hints, suggestions and personal questions quickly answered without a lot of incoming flack.
17. New best friends I can call upon for help at any time……….

These are the immediate things that come to mind and I’m sure I forgot something.
What have you learned from this site and how much did you save?
Is this worth $30.00 a year? DAMN RIGHT!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: What I have learned from the BMW Luxury Touring site and why I contribute to it:

Amen.

Asleepless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 9:18 am

Re: What I have learned from the BMW Luxury Touring site and why I contribute to it:

+1 to all of it, plus:

Tech sessions at Griff's garage
RTE's
CCR
Education on all kinds of topics via chit chat
Constant supply of new jokes via Humor
Advise on specific none MC related issues from other members

Thanks to all of you, and specifically to the small group of pro bono friends that keep it going!

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #4 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 9:22 am

I have also enjoyed this site. I have learned lots and although I would not have spent sooo much $$$ on different farkles, the site has become a daily thing for me.
Also...CCR. Two years now and looking forward to the next one. The wife likes it.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 10:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

That is a great list
I couldn't begin to figure how much this site has saved me. Just having a place to get my questions answered is worth the $$.

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #6 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 12:32 pm

Couple others off the top of my head:

* Cannisterectomy - importance of, and procedure for doing it
* Hesitation issue - brown wire, Motronic update, airbox sensor fix, etc
* Shift linkage - checking, replacement
* Slave Cylinder weep hole mod
* Speedo mod
* Shock replacement shortcuts (remove rear first, replace front, install rear)
* Erratic speedo fix (shorted rear sensor wire on tight tie wrap on brake line)
post #7 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 2:53 pm

My '06 LT is by far the most expensive mc I've ever owned. Learning from you guys, talking with the good venders like Ron at Kontour, the wonderful folks at Cyclegadgets, Raffy, Suburban, Baehr, etc. has been fantastic, (not to mention that these conversations have made me loose weight since my pocketbook stays much thinner). The calls to local guys have really helped, along with a lot of specific help at working on the tupperware. And best, I have met some outstanding brothers who encourage me on my bigger journey through life.
Without this forum and the people with whom I have connected, I would be a much less blessed man.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #8 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 2:58 pm

What I can't understand is folks that are very active on this site, have learned tons and won't even cough up $12, one dollar a month, to help keep the lights on.

You don't realize how much you love/need this site till it's down for a few days.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 3:10 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
It was time for my annual contribution and I was thinking about what this sites means to me, my GBFP (Green Big Fat Pig) and what I have learned to do to my bike to add to my enjoyement and riding comfort.

1. How to change the three major fluids.
2. The correct amount of air pressure for my tires.
3. How to install an HID headlight.
4. How to install an intercom.
5. How to lower the seat.
6. How and why to protect the headlight.
7. How to install a GPS.
8. How to install a Smarttire system.
9. How to install quick disconnects.
10. How to take off the windshield.
11. How to slide the top case back for extra room.
12. How to remove and replace the plastic.
13. How to install a Remus exhaust system.
14. Which oil to use and how often to change it.
15. How to wire the three tail lights together.
16. Numerous items bought and sold.
16. All the other little hints, suggestions and personal questions quickly answered without a lot of incoming flack.
17. New best friends I can call upon for help at any time……….

These are the immediate things that come to mind and I’m sure I forgot something.
What have you learned from this site and how much did you save?
Is this worth $30.00 a year? DAMN RIGHT!
I say it is worth more than $30.00 a year!!!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #10 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 3:38 pm

The response and repair instructions I got from my post regarding my speedometer acting up most likely saved me several years worth of support to this group over what a dealer might have charged me to fix that one item.

I have had no regrets supporting this site - other than not being able to block the post of an administrator.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #11 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 3:45 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
What I can't understand is folks that are very active on this site, have learned tons and won't even cough up $12, one dollar a month, to help keep the lights on.

You don't realize how much you love/need this site till it's down for a few days.
You said it!!!

After being without cable/internet thanks to Ike I was going nuts not being able to get on the site. I would have paid a heck of a lot more than $12 just for a day's worth of info.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #12 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 4:36 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
I have had no regrets supporting this site - other than not being able to block the post of an administrator.
LOL. You will have to put up with the moderators and the admins. Without this group there would be no site.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #13 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 9:29 pm

Thumbs up Re: What I have learned from the BMW Luxury Touring site and why I contribute to it:

Whoooo Hooooo! I have gained a good deal from this group over the past year. Mostly lurking, studying comments, polls, files and photos about LT's.

Finally got around to buying my own last week, and feel what I learned here helped me find a great LT sold by a caring owner, at a reasonable price.

I'm sure as I learn more about it, I wil continue to enjoy the information and helpfulness of the generous members of this community who take the time to share their wisdom. Thanks All....I joined as a supporter this afternoon!

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #14 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 9:33 pm

Just re-uped for another year. Love this site, and the peeps to!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #15 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:01 pm
Just ridin'

Thanks to all of you who continue to support this great BMW resource.

While I and all of the other Administrators and Moderators are committed to investing our time for this community, it does take righteous bux as well.

Any of you on faster connections should feel the results of our latest investment in hardware. We are serving up pages much faster now.

October is our month for reminding people to support this site, we really appreciate those of you who do it without being nudged

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #16 of 19 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 7:23 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Dan I thank you for reminding people to support this site. I have paid since day one and will continue to. I would not have been able to do my 12K without this board. Not sure what it costs at a dealer but I know I saved big money.

People get in your pocket, at least contribute the minimum, and if you can give till it hurts.

The hosting fees and hardware are not free!

If you cant afford to contribute to this site then maybe you should consider another Bike choice?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #17 of 19 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 9:28 am
Bouncer

And it's really easy to donate.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/subscriptions.php

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #18 of 19 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 10:41 am

What's funny is I got a reminder email last night that my contribution was a year old.

I now ride a GT, which I am mechanically learning and there isn't a lot of information on. I purdy much know the LT, so I don't need the mechanical threads.

I'm a moderator here and an admin on the sister site, k-bikes, so I'm not required to pay.

Yet, last night I gladly donated $120 to the cause. Why? Because the enjoyment the interaction on these boards, the ability to lend a helping hand and the good we do together is worth $10 bucks a month to me. When you break it down, that's pennies a day.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 19 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 1:30 pm

I am not a wrench-turner, but reading the many many posts regarding the nuances of the LT, is a bevy of wealthy information regarding do's and don'ts of the LT.

This site has cost me of fortune in farkle-izing the LT, it's that I am only 4 years behind most.

The admin's do a great job and I am sure they spend a lot of time keeping this site going and udgraded.

BUT..............................what the site has done for me the most, is that over the past 4+ years since I have owned the LT, I have met many great folks (I am sure the pleasure has been all theirs though!!!!)

I keep donating cause I hope that Grif WILL be elected Pres one day! VOTE EARLY AND VOTE OFTEN!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in