New Farkle. LT "Hood" Ornament - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Garage
New Farkle. LT "Hood" Ornament

So I'm riding home from work yesterday. A beautiful So Florida afternoon, heading up the Sawgrass Expressway, doing my usual 75 - 80 MPH, when a flock of about 30 birds swooped down right into my path. Now I have experienced hitting one bird before in my cage, but this was like a machine gun ratta tat tat. Very loud and shocked me. Of course I instinctively ducked and when I looked up there was blood an feathers across the windshield.

I slowed a bit and peered over the windsheild and didn't see anything so I continued the remaining 35 miles to home. After pulling into the driveway, I checked the "damage". Attached is something that I think kinda works on the front of the LT.

Of course, after cleaning up the bike for today's ride back to the office, I am still seeing feathers flying out from under the radio cowling. I'm still a bit shook up. But somehow it put me in the mood for roasted chicken for dinner last night. Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img049.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	19735   Click image for larger version

Name:	img050.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	19736  

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
South Florida
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: New Farkle. LT "Hood" Ornament

Norm,
You are now qualified for at least one of THESE!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 1:15 pm

I found a bird last year between the battery and computer. This year I know I hit a bird and the feathers keep coming out between the cracks of the fairing. Never did find the bird but found a few feather up under the bike again.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 2:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

On a related note:

1. The truck was running very rough, the engine almost died several times. A couple miles later it got better, but something still wasn't right. A large rat had blocked the intake manifold. Things improved when it got sucked through the opening. Fortunately the air filter kept parts of it from being sucked into the engine.

2. I was driving with the wife down the Okanagan Valley, going about 60 mph. It was one of those warm (60 degree) sunny days, so we had all four windows rolled completely down on our Ford Explorer. The sunshine and fresh air were wonderful.

Without notice, a flock of small birds that was flying high across the road suddenly swooped low, right in our path. There was no time to react. Some of the birds hit various parts of the front of the Explorer - the bumper, the hood, the windshield, etc. Unfortunately, several of them flew in through the open windows.

The worst was the one that caught the trailing edge of the open window frame. At 60 mph, the bird simply exploded. The truck filled with swirling feathers. Visibility was zero for a few scary seconds. We pulled over.

The cleanup was very gross. Gag me with a spoon. We were still finding feathers ten years later.
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 3:40 pm

Give your radiators a good once over. If you don't have any shield on them they are very vulnerable to impact.

Dan

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 6:36 pm

It IS a honor to commit Bird-A-Cide into the front of a BMW
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 12:37 am

I've had flying critters hit vehicle antennas (explosion of feathers), and even one rather large raven bounce off the van's windshield. The most unusual one was as the wife & I were heading off to Niagara Falls for our honeymoon. Was about 10pm, and rather dark on the highway, and I saw what looked to be a black plastic trash bag blow right in front of my VW Scirocco, and didn't see it still flying as I peeked in the rear view mirror. Wasn't until the next morning, as I looked at the front of the car, and I couldn't see the silver VW emblem on the grill. Oh great, I thought, broke the plastic grill and lost the badge. Upon closer examination, covering almost exactly the circular emblem, was a bat, flattened on one side, and embedded into the grill ornament. I know I have a photo around somewhere, but its been 20+ years, and can't seem to locate it at the moment.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 10:41 am

Garage
Bird stories!

Well it been a long time since I’ve hit a bird, But it was pretty funny after it was all over.

Coming out for Eureka Springs on my R100RS return from a RA rally. I was wearing full gear to include a Simpson helmet. From my right rear side (never saw it coming) some sort of bird approached. (Not enough left to ID). The contact was directly to my face shield. Sounded like a small explosion! Bird feather when everywhere, inside the faring, inside my jacket, AND inside my face shield. Stopped and cleaned out the feathers and continued, but I keep smelling that old bird, stop again and checked for bird remains, finally I found a feather in the ear piece hinge of my glasses…

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 4:18 pm

I have had many close calls. Though yet to hit anything! Should I be happy or sad?
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Clean up was messy. Blood on both front and back of the windshield. I am still getting feathers coming up through the fairing. I've inspected under the fairing several times but I am not seeing anything there and the radiators are clean.

I am expecting that I hit 6 - 8 birds. They won't do that again. The sound was incredible and I actually ducked when it happened. Definately woke me up.

I do like the Roadkill Combat Sticker idea. Gotta start somewhere. I'm just glad this one was small.

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

South Florida

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
post #11 of 14 Old Sep 26th, 2008, 2:23 pm

Several years ago in far northern CA on hwy 101 I nearly mixed it up with a vulture. I was on my ST1100 doing about 70 on a really nice sweeper. I disturbed a couple of vultures from a deer carcass on the side of the road. One of them flew across the road right into my path. I ducked my head and the stupid thing just barely missed the top of my helmet.

That bird was WAY to big to hit. It would have taken me right off the bike.

Larry
post #12 of 14 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRuest
So I'm riding home from work yesterday. A beautiful So Florida afternoon, heading up the Sawgrass Expressway, doing my usual 75 - 80 MPH, when a flock of about 30 birds swooped down right into my path. Now I have experienced hitting one bird before in my cage, but this was like a machine gun ratta tat tat. Very loud and shocked me.
Glad you're safe!

Few years ago my dad and I were riding from Minnesota to Arizona. Somewhere in South Dakota a pheasant hit him - sprang right out of the ditch and ran right into the front fender. It sounded like cannon had been fired.
We stopped to check for damage (there was none) and I look back and notice the pheasant. I'm like "lets go get that - either we have some place clean and cook it for us tonight or at least we pull the tail feathers and use them to dress up your bike a little."
Now, my dad is usually a pretty practical guy, but I think he was a little shook up because he agrees to my hair-brained idea. As we get up to the pheasant, the damn thing stands up, shakes it head, and flies away.
Either the rumble of our Harley pipes woke it from the dead or it knew we were about to tear its feathers out and wanted no part of that.
Either way, we still talk about that story all these years later.

Brad

2008 Harley Road King Classic
2005 BMW K1200S
1983 Honda CB Custom 1000
Gone, but not forgotten:
1995 Harley FatBoy
1972 Honda CB500 Four
1983 Suzuki DR250

CCRs - Breckenridge 04, Jackson Hole 05, Braselton 06, Osage Beach 07, Midway 08, Black Hills 09, Killington 10, Boise 11, Duluth 12, Bend 13, Chattanooga 14, Coeur d'Alene 15
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 9:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Glad you are safe. I haven't hit a flock of birds yet but I have hit a rather large non descript bird out of a flock that flew in front of me near Amarillo. Dang thing stuck just below the wind screen for a bit and then oozed up the wind screen leaving a nice racing stripe of blood and entrails. The wife made me wash it off at the next gas stop. I wanted to keep it on as a nice show and tell. I also hit an egret that was launching out of a drainage ditch along the road. The body bounced off the windscreen and the head and neck came over the top and for an instant I would have been eyeball to eyeball with it except for the face shield. I wear the scar on the helmet proudly. Think I will get some of those stickers.
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 9:05 am

I got the bright yellow one here in iowa.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in