Beware Of: - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Beware Of:

We all learn from time to time things to beware of in motorcycle riding. Most of us who have been riding for years know MOST of them. But It would be great to hear everyone's list and new riders would really benefit from it. Here are a few of mine -- probably nothing new, but please add to it.

1. Fresh asphalt on hot days -- can be as slick as oil
2. Forgetting, especially in corners, that where you look is where you go.
3. Leaving your directional light on too long -- on coming traffic will assume you are turning and may decide to turn in front of you.
4. Center line paint when wet can be very slick.
5. Continuing to ride into severe weather. Get off the road. Better to be stuck in a barn or gas station or fast food restaurant wishing you were riding than stuck on the road in horrific winds wishing you were someplace safe.

Like I said, pretty elementary stuff. But would love to see what others have to add.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:48 am

Re: Beware Of:

Those @%*#% "glue on" cross walk markings that are slippery as snot. Mix in a little oil, antifreeze or water and they're an ice skating rink!

I actually did a 180 in the middle of an intersection after pulling away from one. It was absolute blind luck I didn't drop it.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:50 am

Funky valve stems.

Get 'em replaced....

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 11:00 am

If I might add: don't assume anything. We were riding a twisty road along a lake shore. Into a left sweeper, and spotted a wet spot. Assumed it to be water. Just for giggles I straightened up a bit when I hit it. It was a diesel spill. Talk about FUN! Nobody went down, but the pucker factor was off the charts.
post #5 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 11:35 am

In Maine the roads can be a challenge. Road cracks that run along the roadway. Some of them can be six inches deep. Pot holes are also a problem. Keep your eyes on the road surface if the roadway is deteroriated. I have had the pleasure of getting into a deep road crack with both wheels. The crack ran for about 100 feet. Pucker factor times 10!!!

2009 K1300GT Blue
2003 K1200LT Titan Silver

2004 Suzuki DRZ 250 off road
1979 Honda CBX 1000 (6 cyl) Sounds like a Jet...
post #6 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 1:41 pm

Riding above your ability. Naturally to improve your skills you can push the envelope but when riding with buddies that are obviously far quicker than you are don't be stupid and try to match them corner for corner.

If you are on an RT or GS for gosh sakes don't use your front brake below ten miles per hour with the forks turned.

Look at what you are stopping on. Really uneven pavment can dump you when you put your foot down and there ain't nothing there , LOL

Yep I dropped it just like that.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #7 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 3:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Beware of:

Every other driver out there. Most of them don't see you, and the ones that do are probably aiming for you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 3:35 pm

Critters
post #9 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 4:14 pm

Watch the driver of the cage in front of you.

Hand to ear--Cell phone
Head slightly down-- Reading or text messaging
Head slanted to left. About to turn
If you don't see his head it is up his butt. l
post #10 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Here's another. When you're boarding a passenger, especially on the LT and you're on a sloped surface, have your passenger get on from the uphill side.

And, even with ABS, you can lock up the back wheel going into a hard turn by downshifting too hard.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #11 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 6:36 pm

One more, the black tar snakes they patch cracks with.
post #12 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 7:34 pm

... the first 30 minutes of rainfall, it is the most treacherous. In that time, the rain has not washed way the oils and other liquids that have accumulated in the pavement.. and are still floating on the surface.

... driving between tire tracks on the roadway. Instead, drive in one of the tire paths of the vehicle you are following. The pavement is smoother, drier, and if there is a POT HOLE.. you're more likely to miss it.. cuz He sure the heck is going to try.

... every cage on the road. Keep your eyes on the front tires of the vehicle in adjacent lanes. look for subtle changes.. you can react more quickly when you notice the tires no longer being parallel to the direction of travel.

... using cruise control on slippery surfaces. Not good.

... assuming anyone sees you. So long as you expect everyone is out there to run you over.. you should be all set.

...Driving at sunrise and sunset. Most critical times to be alert on the road. Keep all your lights on... what you can't see.. .can kill you.

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #13 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:27 pm

...not just the center line, but *any* painted line, including "Stop" lines, "only Right Turn from this lane" arrows and crosswalks, get slick when wet. You appreciate ABS when you forget this.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #14 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

.. having your foot too far forward on the peg going into a turn. The road can pull you foot right off the peg. DAMHIK.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #15 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 2:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_k1200lt
...not just the center line, but *any* painted line, including "Stop" lines, "only Right Turn from this lane" arrows and crosswalks, get slick when wet. You appreciate ABS when you forget this.
Amen Brother. One of those "right turn from this lane" arrows took me down on my Virago one rainy day commuting from work. Luckily I was not hurt. From that day forward I realize the significance and importance of ABS on a motorcycle. ABS was a requirement for my two-up bike.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #16 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Funky valve stems.

Get 'em replaced....
+1 !!

Greg

post #17 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 2:37 pm

No riding in snow, hail storms or sleet!!

Whats up with the weather thingy? (#5)

I like riding in diverse weather ok. I've seen a tornado just off to the side of me in MD once, wind blew so hard i think it stopped the yamaha in its tracks while doing 60MPH, at least it felt like it.

Just this spring I ended up in 2" of snow crossing the cont divide in utah at odarkthiry in the morning for about 30 miles at the end of May (doh!).

Now I admit that was a mistake but too late, wasnt' gonna try turning an LT around in the snow! 1st gear, flashers and truck drivers laughing as they went around me in the virgin snow in the fast lane. I won't do that again however! Snow and ice, not my bag if I can help it.

Rain, no problema under any circumstance, I just love the rooster tails off the back end at about 90

The only time I got pulled over in trip-digits in my life, was in pouring rain. Ok ok, I was wet and cold as a motivator but really, it doesn't take much to get me motivated

I dunno, bad weather isn't always a lotta fun but still, I've never pulled over due to weather unless I was frozen...or I couldn't turn around because the snow/sleet/hail hit me all of a sudden.

60+ MPG winds, fun...most of the time Only on beemers though, the yamaha was really tuff in those velocities.

Somehow its related to my connection with the gods, seems to clear my head a bit, riding in all that crap! one sick puppy...
post #18 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:03 pm

Trying to retrieve a beach chair after your bungee cord breaks on I-95 in February on your way to Florida when a South Carolina State Trooper sees it all and laughs so hard snot freezes coming out of his nose.
post #19 of 31 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 1:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
If I might add: don't assume anything. We were riding a twisty road along a lake shore. Into a left sweeper, and spotted a wet spot. Assumed it to be water. Just for giggles I straightened up a bit when I hit it. It was a diesel spill. Talk about FUN! Nobody went down, but the pucker factor was off the charts.
So when did the cycle seat reappear?
post #20 of 31 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
Trying to retrieve a beach chair after your bungee cord breaks on I-95 in February on your way to Florida when a South Carolina State Trooper sees it all and laughs so hard snot freezes coming out of his nose.
LOL. Bet that was interesting. My wife has twice dropped her glove and I've had to go back and retrieve it, but that's really not quite as good as getting a beach chair.

Greg

post #21 of 31 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:58 pm

Cager's texting on their mobile

"“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #22 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
LOL. Bet that was interesting. My wife has twice dropped her glove and I've had to go back and retrieve it, but that's really not quite as good as getting a beach chair.
By the time I turned around at the next exit, the chair had been broken down into its molecular components by a dozen or so 18 wheelers.
post #23 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 8:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Bungees are not as safe as straps on a bike.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #24 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 8:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
By the time I turned around at the next exit, the chair had been broken down into its molecular components by a dozen or so 18 wheelers.
Hope you brought your wood glue.

Greg

post #25 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Hope you brought your wood glue.
That's hilarious!

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #26 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 5:10 pm

Thumbs up Beware of combining stopping & starting

Lots of LT riders with more experience than me (still less than 2,000 miles) but, my caution to myself is to better manage the weight of the LT at slow speeds by separating stopping from starting. In otherwords, completing the "landing" before taking off again, avoiding (in pilot's words) "touch & goes".

I have found the big LT absolutely ponderous at slow speeds, that is just before "feet down" at stop, and just before "feet up" when starting out. Sure it helps to keep the front wheel straight, and to use a gentle touch on the brakes.

But the biggest risk of losing control of the LT is in an indecisive moment between almost stopped and almost starting out, that "roll through the stop sign" moment, that we're all used to in the car. You know, slow toward a stop, look for conflicting traffic, and if there is none, just keep going, from slow deceleration to acceleration, without a stop. Usually works OK, but what if at the last moment you see a hazard and have to stop suddenly? Chance are I would over commit the brakes with the bars already positioned for a turn, and end up with a low speed drop. At minimum a moment or two of "heightened awareness".

Better for me to consider coming to a full stop, a completely separate skill than getting under way again. If I take care to come to stop & stable feet down stance, then look for traffic or other risk, before starting the "take -off roll" I am much more stable, comfortable, and "in control". It doesn't take much time. It certainly seems to reduce the risk of upset.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #27 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Re: Beware of combining stopping & starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
Lots of LT riders with more experience than me (still less than 2,000 miles) but, my caution to myself is to better manage the weight of the LT at slow speeds by separating stopping from starting. In otherwords, completing the "landing" before taking off again, avoiding (in pilot's words) "touch & goes".

I have found the big LT absolutely ponderous at slow speeds, that is just before "feet down" at stop, and just before "feet up" when starting out. Sure it helps to keep the front wheel straight, and to use a gentle touch on the brakes.

But the biggest risk of losing control of the LT is in an indecisive moment between almost stopped and almost starting out, that "roll through the stop sign" moment, that we're all used to in the car. You know, slow toward a stop, look for conflicting traffic, and if there is none, just keep going, from slow deceleration to acceleration, without a stop. Usually works OK, but what if at the last moment you see a hazard and have to stop suddenly? Chance are I would over commit the brakes with the bars already positioned for a turn, and end up with a low speed drop. At minimum a moment or two of "heightened awareness".

Better for me to consider coming to a full stop, a completely separate skill than getting under way again. If I take care to come to stop & stable feet down stance, then look for traffic or other risk, before starting the "take -off roll" I am much more stable, comfortable, and "in control". It doesn't take much time. It certainly seems to reduce the risk of upset.
This kind of procedure will get easier with more LT experience. But you're right, any jerky of sudden stops at slow speeds can be very ugly on the LT.

Greg

post #28 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 5:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Bungees are not as safe as straps on a bike.....
+1 on straps.

A long time ago I lost a duffel on the freeway. A bungie net came unhooked on one side. It was only luck that it didn't get snagged on the rear wheel. Try Rok Straps adjustable motorcycle straps. The ones with the loops on both ends.
post #29 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 7:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Since we're talking about strapping things securely to bikes, I'll just add that it needs to be said again: You must ensure that anything outside the side cases or top case is securely fastened to the bike. Take the few extra moments to properly strap down whatever it is you are carrying on the seat or on a rack.

I used to work for an IT consulting company whose founder, a life-long rider, had a serious accident (resulting in a traumatic brain injury) when the jacket he had bungeed to the back seat of his bike came loose at highway speed and entangled itself in the rear wheel. The wheel locked and he went down. His life will never be the same. Proper gear (including helmet) could have made a big difference, but that's second-guessing a tragic accident.

Please, take a few moments to do the right thing. Listen to that little voice in your head.

http://tbiquick.wordpress.com/about/

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #30 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 11:02 pm

I could not agree more, but you really do not want me listening to the little voice in my head.
post #31 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2008, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I could not agree more, but you really do not want me listening to the little voice in my head.
Not THAT little voice. The other one.

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in